Serious 3.5 engine issues....please help

Wood

OK, here we go again with this pile of junk ('01 SE 4x4 3.5). Finally got all the codes cleared up by replacing sensors which I thought was the culprit for my truck's running quality issues. No deal. Ran the truck all day and it sputters and has no power idle/off idle. You have to rev the motor to get it to go (it is a 5 sp manual). I also noticed it was smoking when I started it up and the oil light flickered so I checked the oil level and nothing on the dipstick. I had checked it about a month ago and it was down so I topped it up. Not sure how much oil it takes to drop off the stick but that is A LOT in less than 1000 miles since being topped up. I recently bought a new Tacoma and need to get some $$$ out of this pile to help pay for the new truck. I'm really hoping the motor isn't sacked. Any ideas to help diagnose the extent of damage is appreciated. The truck is not throwing any codes, not even anything 'pending'.

Edited by Wood

I have read that replacing the passenger side valve cover(including pcv valve) will help with some oil usage issues and low end rattle. If it is using excessive oil and running like a total POS I don't know if that would help. A compression check would tell you if it's rings or valves that are screwed. If it was ran low on oil for too long it might be too late.

Edited by keelhaul

I have read that replacing the passenger side valve cover(including pcv valve) will help with some oil usage issues and low end rattle. If it is using excessive oil and running like a total POS I don't know if that would help. A compression check would tell you if it's rings or valves that are screwed. If it was ran low on oil for too long it might be too late.

Thanks for the response. Where is the PCV valve located exactly? Sounds like that may have been the start of my issues. Not sure if it has led to engine damage or just causing some running quality issues that hopefully can be fixed by replacing the required parts (PCV and valve cover). Thanks.

I have not yet attempted this fix but I plan to. My 02 pathy uses about 1-2 L every 6000km depending how I drive.

The primary crankcase ventilation valve is in the rear of the passenger side valve cover. Inside the valve cover from the pvc valve are baffles that get plugged with oil sludge and cause the crankcase to pressure up and you get oil blow-by. Mine does not smoke(yet) or run like crap. From the symptoms you described I would first do a cylinder compression check so you don't waste your money. To replace the valve cover I think you have to disassemble most of the top of the engine. I also think the updated valve cover includes the pcv valve when purchased.

I have not yet attempted this fix but I plan to. My 02 pathy uses about 1-2 L every 6000km depending how I drive.

The primary crankcase ventilation valve is in the rear of the passenger side valve cover. Inside the valve cover from the pvc valve are baffles that get plugged with oil sludge and cause the crankcase to pressure up and you get oil blow-by. Mine does not smoke(yet) or run like crap. From the symptoms you described I would first do a cylinder compression check so you don't waste your money. To replace the valve cover I think you have to disassemble most of the top of the engine. I also think the updated valve cover includes the pcv valve when purchased.

I plan on starting with the comp test. Hopefully the motor is not screwed.....used 2001 Pathfinders with scrapped motors don't fetch much $$$.

I plan on starting with the comp test. Hopefully the motor is not screwed.....used 2001 Pathfinders with scrapped motors don't fetch much $$$.

Also, wouldn't it be possible for the oil to be sucked in through the PCV valve and once there is enough oil built up under the valve cover, I would think it would start to be drawn into the engine through the intake valves resulting in the excessive oil consumption(I've read something about a 'siphon' effect from this). This could also expalin the low end running quality issues as oil mixed with gas obviously isn't going to burn very efficiently resulting in stumbling and erratic idle/low end rpm.

I wouldn't think blowby would result in such a dramatic increase in oil usage unless the rings were completely shot.

These truck's aren't junk it's clearly obvious you just didn't maintain it. Better than any of the similar American models.

What kind of maintenance is required to keep a motor from sucking in butterfly valve screws and having excessive oil consumption from POOR engineering???? CLEARLY obvious that these trucks suffer from some serious design flaws.....look into it grasshopper. If you understand mechanics, you will understand where these rigs fall desperately short of what is considered acceptable. The kind of maintenance required to avoid what I am going through should not even be a consideration on a vehicle that is 7 years old with 70K miles on it....especially one which is SUPPOSED to be a high quality import.

'Better' you say? I have owned two Jeep Cherokee Sports (1993, 1998) that I drove the bag off and had better luck with than this Nissan pile. I agree that most if not all similar domestic trucks are of lesser quality but MY Pathfinder is crap and I can't wait until the day I no longer have to look at it in my driveway. Best of luck with yours.

Edited by Wood

What kind of maintenance is required to keep a motor from sucking in butterfly valve screws and having excessive oil consumption from POOR engineering???? CLEARLY obvious that these trucks suffer from some serious design flaws.....look into it grasshopper. If you understand mechanics, you will understand where these rigs fall desperately short of what is considered acceptable. The kind of maintenance required to avoid what I am going through should not even be a consideration on a vehicle that is 7 years old with 70K miles on it....especially one which is SUPPOSED to be a high quality import.

'Better' you say? I have owned two Jeep Cherokee Sports (1993, 1998) that I drove the bag off and had better luck with than this Nissan pile. I agree that most if not all similar domestic trucks are of lesser quality but MY Pathfinder is crap and I can't wait until the day I no longer have to look at it in my driveway. Best of luck with yours.

Well, my dad has a 2000 pathfinder, with 115k on it and no problems, before that he had a 93 that we got 220k out of it before he gave it to me, it still runs fine. And now I have a 95 with 150k that runs mint and is in prime condition.

Must have got a lemon, I know a few people around here with the 3.5L and no problems :shrug:

Butterfly's---Morpheaus (a Nissan tech that is here on the board) states that very few Pathfinders ever had this issue...which by the way is not the engines fault or the rest of the truck, but the intake manifold. My truck at just over 50K had all screws tight and had some weak form of loctite on them.

PCV---If you read out there this is a notrious problem with more than 1 vehicle in the world...."breathers", "swirl valves" etc came into play because PCV's are a terrible design in nature not just in Nissan. Specifically, this truck has an admitted problem and has an updated valve cover to cure this woe. When checking my screws, Inoticed a medium dark bronze color of oil all throughout the intake manny, so I cleaned it, the PCV, and added a filter inline to prevent further trouble.

Maintainence---I would have to ask if you run high quality oil & in the correct weight, high octane fuel, and injector cleaner in your vehicle....though I am not trying to bash ANYONE this is a high performance engine and must be treated as such. Even Acura NSX's need premuim attention--just not as much as any Ferrari this is what makes them a real quality supercar. I use 5-30 M1 synth year round in my climate and change the oil when it is dirty, not at xxx miles. Sometimes the rig goes further than other on the oil

Your jeep cherokee sports' may have run forever, but are a super low tech engine with no serious horsepower or torq, let alone they had no variable timing or variable timing cams.

Your fix: I would Seafoam the engine and add some to the oil to break up sludge gently. Change the oil often (1500mi) until the truck comes around. Use the premium fuel and light weight high quality oil, change the PCV or add an additional filter and maybe even that valve cover if you think it is suspect, change the plugs (if you have not), and clean the MAF sensor---but I would def not sell or pitch the rig over this. Unless the cost of fuel and what not is keeping you from enjoying life, well then you gotta do what works for you.

Butterfly's---Morpheaus (a Nissan tech that is here on the board) states that very few Pathfinders ever had this issue...which by the way is not the engines fault or the rest of the truck, but the intake manifold. My truck at just over 50K had all screws tight and had some weak form of loctite on them.

PCV---If you read out there this is a notrious problem with more than 1 vehicle in the world...."breathers", "swirl valves" etc came into play because PCV's are a terrible design in nature not just in Nissan. Specifically, this truck has an admitted problem and has an updated valve cover to cure this woe. When checking my screws, Inoticed a medium dark bronze color of oil all throughout the intake manny, so I cleaned it, the PCV, and added a filter inline to prevent further trouble.

Maintainence---I would have to ask if you run high quality oil & in the correct weight, high octane fuel, and injector cleaner in your vehicle....though I am not trying to bash ANYONE this is a high performance engine and must be treated as such. Even Acura NSX's need premuim attention--just not as much as any Ferrari this is what makes them a real quality supercar. I use 5-30 M1 synth year round in my climate and change the oil when it is dirty, not at xxx miles. Sometimes the rig goes further than other on the oil

Your jeep cherokee sports' may have run forever, but are a super low tech engine with no serious horsepower or torq, let alone they had no variable timing or variable timing cams.

Your fix: I would Seafoam the engine and add some to the oil to break up sludge gently. Change the oil often (1500mi) until the truck comes around. Use the premium fuel and light weight high quality oil, change the PCV or add an additional filter and maybe even that valve cover if you think it is suspect, change the plugs (if you have not), and clean the MAF sensor---but I would def not sell or pitch the rig over this. Unless the cost of fuel and what not is keeping you from enjoying life, well then you gotta do what works for you.

Thanks for your response and it all makes good sense. I do ALL maintenance on my vehicles and have religiously used high quality mineral oils since purchasing the rig. Changes were every 3K miles using 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in the warmer months. Fuel has been nothing but 91 octane unless it was not available when/where I needed fuel. I replaced the MAF sensor recently as well as one O2 sensor(bank 1, sensor 2) and VTC cam pos sensor. I know proper vehicle maintenance/repairs and have owned a few of them.

Engine technology means nothing to me if it is not reliable. There are many other 'high tech' motors from other manufacturers that are reliable. My trucks are used as trucks, not shopping mall parking lot rigs so they need to be tough.

The cost of fuel has nothing to do with my motivation to sell this pile. I recently purchased a 2006 Toyota TRD Tacoma DC which will undoubtedly be a better vehicle for me in every way. The Nissan is gone as soon as it sale-ready...if it can be repaired cost-effectively. Just thinking about the issues I have recently had with that truck gags me and it is doubtful I will own another Nissan product anytime soon.

You would be lucky to get too much of anything at this point, though, a running one would be better obviously. The market for these things has gone down substantially over the last year, with the exception of MAYBE the 04 Platinum Editions or the LE's. I say give it a patch job to get it idling properly and find yourself a wholesaler to pawn it off to. That may be your best bet for getting a decent amount of $$ for it.

"Resale value" for R50's in virtually non-existent.

Engine technology means nothing to me if it is not reliable. There are many other 'high tech' motors from other manufacturers that are reliable. My trucks are used as trucks, not shopping mall parking lot rigs so they need to be tough.

The cost of fuel has nothing to do with my motivation to sell this pile. I recently purchased a 2006 Toyota TRD Tacoma DC which will undoubtedly be a better vehicle for me in every way. The Nissan is gone as soon as it sale-ready...if it can be repaired cost-effectively. Just thinking about the issues I have recently had with that truck gags me and it is doubtful I will own another Nissan product anytime soon.

[/quote

That really is unfortunate because In my opinion nissan does make a great product. I come from a family of pathfinder owners and these trucks have been flawless, not just parking lot rigs. My dad had a 93 280K he put on it till he got rid of it and 350+k on it till the frame rotted out. My bro has a 97 250k runs mint and I have a 2003 3.5 with a 117K no problems. But I have heard numerous complaints about the 01's and there sensor issues but that is the first year that the 3.5 was put into the truck so im sure it just needed some bugs worked out like any first year vehicles. Anyways if your still lookin to get to that pcv valve im pretty sure you gotta remove both upper and lower intake manifolds and it should give you enough access to the valve cover.

OK, here we go again with this pile of junk ('01 SE 4x4 3.5). Finally got all the codes cleared up by replacing sensors which I thought was the culprit for my truck's running quality issues. No deal. Ran the truck all day and it sputters and has no power idle/off idle. You have to rev the motor to get it to go (it is a 5 sp manual). I also noticed it was smoking when I started it up and the oil light flickered so I checked the oil level and nothing on the dipstick. I had checked it about a month ago and it was down so I topped it up. Not sure how much oil it takes to drop off the stick but that is A LOT in less than 1000 miles since being topped up. I recently bought a new Tacoma and need to get some $$$ out of this pile to help pay for the new truck. I'm really hoping the motor isn't sacked. Any ideas to help diagnose the extent of damage is appreciated. The truck is not throwing any codes, not even anything 'pending'.

Yup sounds like you got a lemon buddy. It happens, my 95 Camaro SS was a lemon of sorts. I replaced almost everything once Engine, Tranny, Rear end, Alternator, Clutch...the list goes on. About the only thing that I never had to replace was the AC and steering! The car was worth it to me though. And no I did not have to replace all these things because I drove it hard. I babied it and it still fell apart. It was a great vehicle once I replaced everything!!! Anyway you got the first year of the 3.5 VQ hell you might have one of the first made! I am sad that you have that opinion about Nissan vehicles. Hey everybody's got their own opinions! Nice choice btw on the Tacoma TRD! I was thinking real hard about getting one of those when I bought my Ford.

Well, my dad has a 2000 pathfinder, with 115k on it and no problems, before that he had a 93 that we got 220k out of it before he gave it to me, it still runs fine. And now I have a 95 with 150k that runs mint and is in prime condition.

Must have got a lemon, I know a few people around here with the 3.5L and no problems :shrug:

Of course those 2000 and 93 and 95 do not have the 3.5 motor and it looks like the 3.5 is being a bit more of a problem child than was expected.

Consumer Reports has dropped the 01-04 Pathy to average for reliability. Average reliability combined with above average repair costs does not make for happy ownership.

And the OP has some valid points re the design of the 3.5. IE Why would anyone design a mechanical valve train that requires the motor to be removed just to do a valve adjustment? It will cost me $3,000 for that simple valve adjustment so it will not be happening anytime soon.

right now, they don't fetch much even when running well.

hahahahahaha and you think the heep was better in quality then the pathy? wow... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahah

hehe

right now, they don't fetch much even when running well.

hahahahahaha and you think the heep was better in quality then the pathy? wow... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahah

hehe

"Better in quality?".....did I say that? Read my post.

Regardless, chew on this....unfortunately, I will not be able to sell my 7 year old 'quality' Nissan with 70K miles for as much $$$ as I sold my 7 year old 2 door, rode hard - put away wet, Cherokee with 85K miles. Demand will motivate market value more so than reported reliability records. People want Jeeps around here, Nissans not so much. And as far as quality goes, that 4.0 litre inline 6 has it ALL OVER the 3.5 techno-crap Nissan mill. Simple, reliable and fuel efficient......can't say that about the 3.5.......and if you're motor sucks, all else is a moot point. :thumbsdown:

Well, Wood. You got a lemon. It happens, as Brat said. Yours is not what I'd consider par for the course with these things. That said, I don't believe ANY newer, highly computer controlled motor is as reliable as their less complicated older cousins. The VG series motors just work, and the VQ series is an excellent motor (had been on Wards 10 best list for many years) but too much complexity (sensors, computer controlled nonsense) can sometimes ruin a good thing. That said, a current Jeep has the same complexities that the VQ Motors do. It's a sign of the times, and trying to get the most power, and lowest emissions out of an engine as possible.

Have you found the problem yet? I am curious.

Even with the VQ problems I still think it is a great engine. While most inline engines start sucking wind at 4000rpm that is when the VQ shines right up to 6000+rpm.

I have seen many vq engines with high miles that still run great. I have also seen many high mileage jeeps that run...

Even with the VQ problems I still think it is a great engine. While most inline engines start sucking wind at 4000rpm that is when the VQ shines right up to 6000+rpm.

I have seen many vq engines with high miles that still run great. I have also seen many high mileage jeeps that run...

Haven't looked at it since last week. Will be getting to it sometime this weekend and I'll post what I find out.....hoping it's just the valve cover/PCV.

Who needs 6000+ rpm in an 4x4, off road vehicle?

Haven't looked at it since last week. Will be getting to it sometime this weekend and I'll post what I find out.....hoping it's just the valve cover/PCV.

Who needs 6000+ rpm in an 4x4, off road vehicle?

Who needs to be able to actually merge onto a highway without taking 15 seconds to get to 60 :stickwack: ? Jeeps are so overated.

Edited by ronin152

• 2 weeks later...

As an FYI, the motor is sacked. Selling the rig as is for whatever I can get for it.

Last Nissan product I will EVER own. :thumbsdown:

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have a picture of this pcv valve, I can't seem to find it never had one so cunning before the one on our 95 accord is the simplest i have ever seen to get to. Do i need to remove anything to locate.

The valve is located on the passanger side of the engine and is located right on top of the valve cover, it's very difficult to see as its right near the fire wall and you most likely have to remove the upper and lower intake manifold collector.

The valve is located on the passanger side of the engine and is located right on top of the valve cover, it's very difficult to see as its right near the fire wall and you most likely have to remove the upper and lower intake manifold collector.

Thanks for the info.

NIssan is top quality...better than any other manufacture out there....when it come to reliabilty, comfort, looks, ect...the only truck Ill buy is Nissan.

So does thsi mean WOOD wont be returnign to the forums :itsallgood:

Yes it does....so I guess you can get out your hoola-hoops and pom-poms and do your little happy-homo-dance :jig: ....after that, you can celebrate over some Shirley Temples, watch re-runs of Flipper and maybe look into the remedial version of Hooked-on-Phonics to help you out with that grade 3 grammar thing you seem to be struggling with.....best of luck! :aok: