What can throw off a speedometer?

PFCFNG

Can't tell. The sticker has been torn up a little bit.

Well if there is some question you can give me the engine serial number and/or the info on the manufacturing stamp in the engine compartment on the right fender near the firewall.

Legally someone should not be switching out VIN numbers. Number he gave me seemed to match his descriptions of the vehicle, color, etc.

Yeah he sent me a VIN.

Has an XE

With AM/FM Cassette! :fireworx:

Aftermarket CD :jig:

And the VIN plate is spot on, doesn't seem to have been tampered with. Someone just switched the door. I should have looked at it closer. Thanks for all the help.

Depending on how fast I am going...my speedo can read as much as 12 mph too high! There is a place here in Oklahoma City that recalibrated my dad's speedo on his Jeep. So after I get my new tires I am taking it over there.

Edited by OffroadFreak

i dunno bout you guys, but all over my quiet lil town we have those "speed signs" where yer drivin along and there is a speed monitor at the side of the road telling you how fast yer going? that's how i originally checked mini (also by another vehicle being ahead of me and via walkie talkie telling me what speeds we were at) and with king, to check (after 7" of lift &33's) his was all dialed in, i used the same speed sign to check his was accurate. it is SPOT ON. :aok:

don't trust the speed signs on highways tho...... they're FAR from accurate

i dunno bout you guys, but all over my quiet lil town we have those "speed signs" where yer drivin along and there is a speed monitor at the side of the road telling you how fast yer going? that's how i originally checked mini (also by another vehicle being ahead of me and via walkie talkie telling me what speeds we were at) and with king, to check (after 7" of lift &33's) his was all dialed in, i used the same speed sign to check his was accurate. it is SPOT ON. :aok:

don't trust the speed signs on highways tho...... they're FAR from accurate

Funny....on my way home they had one of these up and I thought of your post!

So I now know that my speedometer is correct from 40-45 MPH.

there is a speed monitor at the side of the road telling you how fast yer going?

In the past, when I saw those while riding my bike I'd turn around and buzz it. I always hoped they'd record the speeds and the print out would have 1 listing for 117mph in a 35 zone... ;D

B

In the past, when I saw those while riding my bike I'd turn around and buzz it. I always hoped they'd record the speeds and the print out would have 1 listing for 117mph in a 35 zone... ;D

B

I had a 126 in a 55. On a 24 year old motorcycle!

I noticed my speedo was off by about 5mph on the pathy after the 33 and 4.9s. Stock was 4.6s. I realized my SE pathy did not come stock with 31s. So I picked up a speedo gear from an auto pathy that came with 31s. (read door sticker).

I did some FAST research and basically found this.

20teeth_AT_non31s.JPG

18teeth_AT_31.JPG

w/d21 87-93 (94 Nissan went electronic)

32702m part code 4wd speedo assemblys.

Nissan Part numbers for different teeth counts.

AT and MT 31s

32703-31G18 18 teeth (BLUE)

AT small tires

32703-31G20 20 teeth (RED)

mt 4wd 31s

32702-33G17 17 teeth (My truck should have this one)

at and mt small tires

32702-33G19 19 teeth (unknown)

Now my speedo is perfect like the truck. (35s mt with 4.88s) Took 2 minutes to swap gears. A little fluid came out. I did a real quick swap.

I tested with the GPS at different speeds up to 45mph around town. Within 1mph.

Edited by NissanNut

Nice!! Good info!! Thank you very much. :clap:

Too bad I have a 95 with a speedo that reads 32MPH regardless if you are going 2mph-65mph. After that, it dies down slowly back to 0 about 75mph. I drive by tach and how fast everyone is going... :shrug:

B

I would pick up a used 94-95 (94-97 d21) speedo. It must be mechanism in the gauge since its electronically driven. I replaced a speedo on my 85 720 once. At 240k it died or did something similar. The used one was easy to alter to match the actual mileage. I think I had to roll forward 50k.

94 -97 truck speedos are the same.

24820-75P01

24820-75P03 with trip

Either option is $138 online.