Horspower?

Why, oh why didn't they just slam the Maxima's engine in as it was (170hp) and all.

The 170 HP maxima was a vg30de and the pathfinder ran the vg30e. d was the letter given for dual overhead cams and I belive it featured a chain-driven timing.

Anyway the blocks are essentially the same but the de heads are much wider (I'm guessing a chaindriven DOHC makes the whole thing longer too) and I think getting it to fit would have been a challenge.

This is an aditional theroy;

what if the de was also running a lighter flywheel for more hp (@ the cost of less tq) and to put a flywheel fit for a 4wd truck whould bring the hp back down to lets say 160.

then they would have been trying to put in a different engine for barely 10 more ponies...

On the other hand I do see where your coming from, 150bhp which comes out to 120whp (@ best) leaves a bit to be desired woulda been great if they were designed to put 200 to the wheels.

On the other hand I do see where your coming from, 150bhp which comes out to 120whp (@ best) leaves a bit to be desired woulda been great if they were designed to put 200 to the wheels.

They are.....now. :shrug:

It's a truck...it doesn't need to be fast. HP number mean absolutely nothing. Torque is the only thing that matters.

The 170 HP maxima was a vg30de and the pathfinder ran the vg30e. d was the letter given for dual overhead cams and I belive it featured a chain-driven timing.

Anyway the blocks are essentially the same but the de heads are much wider (I'm guessing a chaindriven DOHC makes the whole thing longer too) and I think getting it to fit would have been a challenge.

This is an aditional theroy;

what if the de was also running a lighter flywheel for more hp (@ the cost of less tq) and to put a flywheel fit for a 4wd truck whould bring the hp back down to lets say 160.

then they would have been trying to put in a different engine for barely 10 more ponies...

maxima never had the vg30de, that was only z32 300zx's..... maxima's either got a vg30e or vq30de. the vq engines have no similarities to the vg engines.

Here are the Maxima engines by model type and production dates

U11 Maxima VG30E PD 84-89

J30 Maxima VG30E VE30DE PD 88-94

A32B Maxima VQ30DE PD 94-99

A33B Maxima VQ30DE VQ35DE PD 99-02

It's a truck...it doesn't need to be fast. HP number mean absolutely nothing. Torque is the only thing that matters.

amen simon.

Ok lemie rephrase;

I would have been nice if the wd21s and d21s put down 220ft lbs of torque to the wheels.

Ok lemie rephrase;

I would have been nice if the wd21s and d21s put down 220ft lbs of torque to the wheels.

put it in fist gear low lock and it will put a hell of alot of torque down.

put it in fist gear low lock and it will put a hell of alot of torque down.

yes, I'm sure that's well over 220 tq to the wheels (in low)but I think you know what I meant.

• 9 months later...
Here are the Maxima engines by model type and production dates

U11 Maxima VG30E PD 84-89

J30 Maxima VG30E VE30DE PD 88-94

A32B Maxima VQ30DE PD 94-99

A33B Maxima VQ30DE VQ35DE PD 99-02

Sorry to correct you as you are 95% right, but the VE30DE was only avalible in the 92-94 SE Maxima

Don't quote me but I think he was stating it like this chassis code/Maxima/avalable engines/model year span of chassis code. If I am correct in my asumption than Alkorahil is still correct, as would be you PATHMAKER

Don't quote me but I think he was stating it like this chassis code/Maxima/avalable engines/model year span of chassis code. If I am correct in my asumption than Alkorahil is still correct, as would be you PATHMAKER

Of course :itsallgood: