300z ECU

Indigent

I have searched (before you ask) and came up with nothing really pertinent. I am wondering what, if any, issues would be caused by putting an ECU from a 300z vg30e into my 91pathy. I know the heads are different, so fuel mixtures would probably be a bit off. Are there any extra sensors that anyone knows of?

I am not interested in more power or anything; I am merely trying to see what my replacement options are if the need arises. One of the junkyards in my town keeps ECU's and harnesses from cars before they melt them, so if mine fries and they don't have one for the pathy, then I would be able to ask them for one from a 300z.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

indigent.

I'd guess that with different heads, the fuel would be off and perhaps the timing. I'd bet that the maf, O2, etc are not the same ones so the feedback to the ecu could be quite different. I don't know of any additional sensors, but I don't think it would work.

B

they are going to have completely different fuel maps

that could mean a number of things, with regard to fuel consumption and power. i dont know enough about fuel mapping to say either way

Edited by sw

I've never looked at one beside a Pathy ECU but IIRC I heard somewhere that the plugs are different and you'd have to splice everything together to get it to work. :(

2nded. I bought a Maxima (VG30E) ECU when I drowned mine...Plug was different, also the Maxima ECU has a daughter board.

Buy a Pathy one when one comes up cheap :aok:

BTW if you have an Auto make sure you get an Auto ECU, but if Manual then it doesn't matter IIRC :D

I have searched (before you ask) and came up with nothing really pertinent. I am wondering what, if any, issues would be caused by putting an ECU from a 300z vg30e into my 91pathy. I know the heads are different, so fuel mixtures would probably be a bit off. Are there any extra sensors that anyone knows of?

I am not interested in more power or anything; I am merely trying to see what my replacement options are if the need arises. One of the junkyards in my town keeps ECU's and harnesses from cars before they melt them, so if mine fries and they don't have one for the pathy, then I would be able to ask them for one from a 300z.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

indigent.

The 300zx is a quad cam engine. I'm certain that it would not work.

The 300zx is a quad cam engine. I'm certain that it would not work.

negative mah sir..... its only a dohc engine if it came with a vg30de or vg30dett. the 84-89 z31 all came with vg30e's or et's.

Thanks all for the input. I suspected that they might be different. You never know though. I guess I kindof assumed that it is the same basic engine, so just maybe it might be similar. I guess there are just too many differences with components.

once again, thanks all.

indigent.

• 4 months later...
Thanks all for the input. I suspected that they might be different. You never know though. I guess I kindof assumed that it is the same basic engine, so just maybe it might be similar. I guess there are just too many differences with components.

once again, thanks all.

indigent.

im using a z31 ecu in my '87 pathfinder, but i re-wired the hole thing, and as far as the injectors being different this is true but they should have the same flow rate if they are stock. the only problem i have noticed is the z31 fuel curve are set up for top end power, also the z31 only runs in closed loop between below 3k rpm's after that it switches from 3 injectors per batch to all 6 firing at the same time. and the fuel economy goes to @!*% after that. i am considering switching to mega squirt in the future, i dont like the map on the z31 ecu and i dont like the idea of a romulator or paying jim wolfe 600 bucks to re-map the ecu.

also last i checked all the vg30's had the same heads, they're may be different casting #'s but theyre basically the same heads.

Edited by bitemedoughboy.com

also last i checked all the vg30's had the same heads, they're may be different casting #'s but theyre basically the same heads.

Side note on that; the Quest and Villager have non-interfearance heads, Ford wouldn't buy the Villagers unless Nissan re-engineered them as such, and for ease of production, all were the same for the 2 models.