The New Union Cry

Trainman

This just blows me away and I am ashamed that a Canadian union rep has to pull this kind of crap:

Finacial Post link

" Union leader urges Americans not to buy Japanese vehicles, invokes Pearl Harbour

Posted: June 18, 2008, 2:44 PM by Nicolas Van Praet

A senior labour leader with the Canadian Auto Workers union confronted Americans buying Asian cars recently about their choices and compared Japanese car dealers to the enemy in the Second World War, according to a union summary of the trip.

Ron Carlyle, the CAW's chair representing workers at General Motors Corp.'s car plant in Oshawa, Ont., spoke at a GM union leadership meeting this past spring about a trip he took to a NASCAR event in the United States. Minutes of the meeting, dated March 20 and posted on the CAW Local 222 website, describe what Mr. Carlyle said.

"Ron spoke about NASCAR trip. He questioned Americans buying Kia, Toyota, Honda. Reminded them of 9/11. 'Would you buy from Iraqi or Afghani dealerships?' Their response was 'No!' So Ron asked 'Why do you buy from Japanese dealers? - What about Pearl

Harbour?'"

Mr. Carlyle was one of the CAW leaders who recently travelled to GM's headquarters in Detroit to attempt to convince the company's senior executives to reverse a decision to shut down the Oshawa truck plant next year. The union has so far failed in attempts to keep the factory open.

Financial Post"

So how do all us Pathy owners feel about being compared to "the enemy"? :wtf:

Every time I hear any BS about GM, Ford, Or Chrysler, I just ignore it and think it's just a bunch of rednecks that think they deserve everything. The "big 3" effed up and they're going down the drain because of it.

They're just using japanese import cars and people who buy them as a scapegoat for their own poor decisions.

what? most japanese cars sold here are made here in the states but i am willing to bet that none of the toyota, honda and nissan workers are part of uaw.

Yep, our Sienna was built in the States (Tennessee I think?).

The following are just some of the "Japanese" cars made in NA (some in Canada, some in the US, a few in both):

Acura MDX; Honda Civic, Pilot, Accord, Ridgeline, CR-V, Odyssey; Toyota Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Sienna; Lexus RX350; Subaru Legacy; Nissan Altima, Maxima, Pathfinder, Titan; Infiniti QX56; Mazda 6, Tribute.

And how about the "nasty" Germans? I guess we should not be buying their cars either as they were at one time "the enemy" too.

Actually, I think that Americans should not buy cars made in Canada, remember 1812? :chairfall:

Edited by Trainman

Actually, I think that Americans should not buy cars made in Canada, remember 1812? :chairfall:

THAT cracked me up :chairfall::lol:

Kinda off topic, but you know whats really funny is some Canadians know more about the USA than some Americans. No offense to the Americans here. I just know a few who are like that.... :laugh:

LOL, I always love it when people bring up issues from 2 generations ago!!

Hey, don't buy Chinese goods, don't you remember Gengis Khan and his son Kubla!!

Actually, don't buy Chinese stuff because most of it is crap and they have enough of our $ already, thanks to Bush for selling dollars to them to finance his sandbox...

B

Well I am still a nissan enthusiast even though I drive a FORD (I know you like that MZextreme, after the discussion we had about ford and chevy!!!!) Anyway What that guy did was wrong plain and simple. My ford may have been built in America but I am willing to bet that half the materials used in it's production were made overseas by the cheapest bidder. Please correct me if I am wrong. Statistics simply prove that foreign automakers make a dam fine vehicle be it in overseas or in the U.S. Reliabilty is un-surpassed but they are expensive to work on as are Domestic these days. Americans are buying way more foriegn vehicles today than domestic. So they have to be doing something right. American automakers (the big 3) need to get their head out of the sand and realize that if they dont step up they will eventually go down hard to foreign automakers.

Sorry I got a bit off track as far as being compared to the enemy is concerned.

What, the Brits and Canadians spend all their time running around and slapping their fish?? :ohno01:

B

HEY LOOK AN EAGLE!!

*steals your salmon, hits you on the back of the head with it*

When the big three make a car as good as the imports. then i will buy U S

cars again. I have had U S made cars for years, but none of them can compare to

our 05 altima we bought new' And how come you never hear about the import factorys here in the

U S having labor problems.

My 2 cents

Being that I am in this industry, I believe the big 3 pushed americans into buying import vehicles. Who remembers what small vehicles were offered by the big 3 duing the 70's fuel crunch? How may gemlins, pacers and other crap that was made, are still on the road. They belive that our people will have to stick to our product. Take Henry Ford as a example. He offered the the Model T to the masses, and in his words, "You can have it in any color you want, as long as its black". That mentality has never really gone away. GM has crushed many independent automakers because they produced something that would effect the way they build cars. Anyone ever taken a ride in a Tucker? That car was way ahead of its time, and there were many others like it.

After WWII, soilders came home and wanted vehicles like what they got to drive in England and Europe. The first vehicles offered after the war were crap and former GI's craved something different. This helped push import vehicles into our mainstream life. I think the Big 3 thinks we owe them something, but they didnt, and im my opinion, still dont offer anything that really pulls Americans attention to it. How may have seen the new GTR? Now, when was the last time Chevy pushed a sports car that hard? Ford I think did a good job with the new Mustang. But lately, they just seem to drop the ball as far as pushing it in the media.

Ive worked on all vehicles and Ive seen goods and bads on both sides. But, I will use one example. My hardbody pickup has almost 178,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. Im the 3rd owner, but most of the vehicle is original(until I got my hands on it) including the engine and trans. Anyone have a Ranger or a S-10 that can say the same? There may be a few, but im sure there are more import pickups out there that are still going. If I remember correctly, Toyota did a ad campaign some years ago involving how many miles their owners have put on thier pickups. Matter of fact, I think someone actually won and Toyota bought it when it rolled over 500,000 miles (dont quote me as my memory is a little faded).

Ok, enough of my rant, for meow.

I should of added that no vehicle is made 100% in one country. Parts come from all over the place.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

How may have seen the new GTR? Now, when was the last time Chevy pushed a sports car that hard? Ford I think did a good job with the new Mustang. But lately, they just seem to drop the ball as far as pushing it in the media.

The new gtr is sick! I'd like to see chevy or ford get that kinda performance out of a 6 cylinder.

And to ctpathy, you never see issues in the import plants because, they KNOW HOW to treat their workers well from the get go. They know how to run a business, it's obvious, just look who's selling more vehicles.