Oil Leak Help

Nismojunky

Hey i just picked up a Nassan Pathfinder 1990 WD21, and im having a oil leak its dripping on my starter and i cant tell where its comming from, has anyone else had this problem or can point me in the right direction?

you will have to look harder man. it most likely is the valve cover but it could be the head. is that car running ok otherwise? if it is then it's probably not the head.

Isnt the oil flilter above the starter? No, maybe its a little foward and up but it still wouldnt hurt to look.

try making sure your oil pressure switch is tight, and also your oil filter. when was the oil changed last? oil changes are messy with the filter in stock locations.......

i jsut bought it he gave me a rec it was done a month ago

Listen to Slick and see if everything is snug. If it is, then clean all the old dirt and oil off there, then check it periodically and see if it leaks more. Slick and my1path are right, changing the filter will undoubtedly result in a little oil being spilled. The filter just happens to be over the starter which is why a lot of us chose to buy a filter relocation kit and put the filter in a more accessible place. It also extends the life of your starter.

i know the started was dead when i bought it full of oil i just bought a new one and im worried about it dying from the same thing

That's most likely NOT why it died. My old truck (95 Pathfinder) had the original starter when the truck died at 316,000kms, and my current truck also has the original starter. I have had no oil filter relocation kit in either truck.

As they said, though, it's probably just the oil from the filter, but as Slick mentioned, check the oil pressure switch as well.

yes, listen to me........ lol.

my starter died on king of natural causes (and a flat spot) at 200k miles a couple weeks ago.

the OPS and filter are notorious for making you believe you have an oil leak somewhere. but the OPS can come loose and leak. You can see it (looking through pass fender well) tot he left of the oil filter and right of the starter :aok: it may have a little orange boot on it with a wire coming out of it.

Edited by Slick

the OPS and filter are notorious for making you believe you have an oil leak somewhere. but the OPS can come loose and leak. You can see it (looking through pass fender well) tot he left of the oil filter and right of the starter :aok: it may have a little orange boot on it with a wire coming out of it.

a yes that too! looks like a flower-shaped wrech goes on it, dono why they did that, but a chanel-lok should be able to snug it.

a yes that too! looks like a flower-shaped wrech goes on it, dono why they did that, but a chanel-lok should be able to snug it.

so would a 17mm (i think) long reach socket.........

yes, listen to me........ lol.

my starter died on king of natural causes (and a flat spot) at 200k miles a couple weeks ago.

i see that orange thingy and thats where i looks like the oil is comming from

here is my solution too finding a small leak on an old motor. i first do a good pressure wash with alot to decreaser cleaner. then everything looks good and the leaks are easier to find.

my 2 cent.

I think it is, but it might be tricky to get it to fit under the hood where you want it. There is another member on this board that has installed one in his pathfinder and it looks like it fit great. I have a Permacool brand kit and it replaces the stock nissan filter with a single bigger filter. Fram TG8A is the one i use.

Here is the kit

Permacool

try making sure your oil pressure switch is tight, and also your oil filter. when was the oil changed last? oil changes are messy with the filter in stock locations.......

Slick is right. The oil pressure switches are notorious for leaking on the starters and killing them. There is even a service bulletin on it.

Slick is right. The oil pressure switches are notorious for leaking on the starters and killing them. There is even a service bulletin on it.

i cant get to it to tighten it but that is wheres its leaking from i have brake lines and the exaust in the way :'( ill just take it in to the shop to get it fixed

i cant get to it to tighten it but that is wheres its leaking from i have brake lines and the exaust in the way :'( ill just take it in to the shop to get it fixed

no need to jack it up. lay underneath it. feel around for the oil filter. once you find that, move towards the starter..... you can see it laying under the truck....... tighten it from down there if oyu can't reach through the fender.

here's my oil filter relo kit i got from summit racing, it's a perma cool. $48 shipped. the pic is of mini me's relo kit. king also has one.

PermaCoolOFRK1.jpg

king's

InjectorChange221308.jpg

both kits are identical.

well knock me down and slap me for fallin'.....I may get myself one of those relocation kits.

one trick I do when I change my oil filter, is to pack some shop rags or paper towels down around the starter to catch the oil that always spills once you unscrew the filter....not perfect but it does help.

A dealership once swore to me my main seal was shot cause I had oil leaking from it. I told him I had just changed the oil and some spilled and ran down the oil pan (as we all know it does....) and that my seal was fine. They didnt believe me and still quoted me a price to replace it. I just said....well sorry but thats not gonna happen...can I have my keys now please.....moron.

• 11 years later...

I have the same problem. However I've looked up and down and it does not look like it's coming from the oil pressure sensor. I did install a t fitting for the oil pressure sensor with an additional Gage so I could actually monitor the pressure by numbers. But it doesn't look like it's coming from there. It's also not a head or valve cover. Could it be spraying up from the oil pan? Is there anywhere else it could be coming from on that side of the motor?

Edited by Tank95
Misspelled