Do I have ALL the bad luck with frames?

adamzan

So I was poking around under my truck and saw this :ohno01: I checked the rest of the frame and it is either solid, or covered in undercoating.

Suggestions? Should I repair?, or Just get rid of this thing...

IMG_0702.jpg

Maybe this had something to do with it?

IMG_0703.jpg

Close up

IMG_0704.jpg

The rest of the truck underneath is in great shape :shrug:

IMG_0705.jpg

Well, considering it's running like a bag of sh!t right now, you don't have the money, nor inclination to fix it yourself, I'd say your choice is pretty simple no? Don't mean to be a prick about it, but what options do you have, unless you know someone who can weld up that frame properly for you (might just be better to rebuilt it in the rear section) it'll cost quite a bit.

Well, considering it's running like a bag of sh!t right now, you don't have the money, nor inclination to fix it yourself, I'd say your choice is pretty simple no? Don't mean to be a prick about it, but what options do you have, unless you know someone who can weld up that frame properly for you (might just be better to rebuilt it in the rear section) it'll cost quite a bit.

Ok, well I just drove it over to a local shop, and the guy crawled under there for a bit and looked around, he said that it's just my stabilizer link mount and that it's not important. He said that the frame was still solid and that I must have hit one hell of a pot hole for that to have happened. He also said that if I feel comfortable with the way it drives now, that I should just remove the rear sway bar. I could weld that piece on myself (with my crappy 70amp welder?), but those fuel lines are awfully close...

My friends brother just opened a garage, so I'm gonna get his opinion and maybe I can get a deal on fixing it.

Oh ya Simon, I cleared the injector leak code yesterday, and today I took off the dist cap and it was all clean and fine under there, rotor looked good too. It seemed to run fine on the way to the garage...

Edited by redfinder

Ok, well I just drove it over to a local shop, and the guy crawled under there for a bit and looked around, he said that it's just my stabilizer link mount and that it's not important. He said that the frame was still solid and that I must have hit one hell of a pot hole for that to have happened. He also said that if I feel comfortable with the way it drives now, that I should just remove the rear sway bar. I could weld that piece on myself (with my crappy 70amp welder?), but those fuel lines are awfully close...

My friends brother just opened a garage, so I'm gonna get his opinion and maybe I can get a deal on fixing it.

Yeah, remove the swaybar for sure, to get the pressure off it.

if there's rust like that there i bet theres rust like that on the inside of the frame too...start probing it with a screwdriver/hammer and see if you find any weak spots...better to be safe than sorry...

I spent the better part of 2 hours doing that, and it's all solid, its like......it snapped off somehow. Is it possible that I hit THAT big of a pothole? The roads here are so bad that I hardly drive around anymore anyways.

no...all of the pathfinder frame is welded on pretty good and the sway bar wouldnt have seen most of a "pothole" jar that would be carried through the springs shocks and other linkages...i've chopped up a solid frame with no surface rust on the outside and the inside was horrible...just saying make sure you check it good at all points b/c it may look solid but theres a small band all the way around the frame thats bad and one day crack it breaks...

no...all of the pathfinder frame is welded on pretty good and the sway bar wouldnt have seen most of a "pothole" jar that would be carried through the springs shocks and other linkages...i've chopped up a solid frame with no surface rust on the outside and the inside was horrible...just saying make sure you check it good at all points b/c it may look solid but theres a small band all the way around the frame thats bad and one day crack it breaks...

Hmm, well i have no idea how long it's been like that, I just noticed it today. I don't trust my welding enough so I'm gunna have to fork out some cash for more repairs.....At least I fixed the body rust myself. I vow that I WILL take it camping on the 30th of june.

WTF happened to the bumpstop? :shrug:

It's always been like that......both my trucks.

WTF happened to the bumpstop? :shrug:

More flex dude! :lol:

damn there is a lot of undercoating on there. I would get a old paint scraper and start clearing the undercoating off the common rust spots on the frame and check them out. I like the undercoating, but it has been masking rust on the undercarriage in my truck so i scrape it off around the affected area and try to clean up the rust.

You shouldn't need the rear stabilizer unless your upper and lower link bushings are really shot. I don't notice the rear leaning much more at all now that mine is gone. If you really want to keep it, i hope there is enough metal to weld a couple of triangle gussets to the inside side of the frame and the front of the stabilizer endlink mount. That ought to hold it.

I spent the whole day on sunday with the scraper, wire brush, rust converter and fresh paint to clean up my frame as best i can. This time i took the old step bar bracket off the frame and there was a nice egg-sized soft spot behind it and a pile of flaked metal. Every time i repaint the frame i find a new soft spot so i feel your pain.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

So I was under there today looking at things, and I couldn't find any "soft spots" When my moms bf got home he looked at it, and we realized, the weld itself actually broke! He saw the disconnected stabilizer and said that because of all the crap roads around here, it must have hit at the wrong angle or something, because my frame is solid otherwise. It was undercoated like every year until 2005. I'm gonna get it welded (fuel lines are in the way, don't want to mess with that) replace the link and scrape away all the loose undercoating, sand down the rust, spray paint it, and then have the whole truck rust proofed with the highest level undercoating.

I'm thinking I'll either get it krowned or take it to metropolitan rust proofing.

I drove the truck to my grandpas today for the timing belt, and it seemed to handle fine on the road.....But once it's fixed I'm buying new rear links