Have it done or DIY! ... Replace Leaky manifolds and broken studs

MadManMike

Hi all,

Well It's almost time for me to get out of school for summer vacation. This means that repairs are to begin on the pathy, the most major repair being the loud exhaust leak from the front (which I assume is the manifolds).

I was going to leave this task up to the pro's but after receiving many estimates it would cost well over $1000 (probably more like $1500 if there are many broken studs). So now it's ditch the pathy for what ever price I can get for it with the exhaust leak and hunt for another car... or repair the exhaust leak my self.

I would like to try and repair it, but I have heard with out a body lift it can be very difficult. And I am afraid once I get the manifolds off I won't be able to get the broken studs out (as I have no bolt extracting experience).

Also if I did it my self I would buy some Doug Thorley headers with the money I would save. Are they harder to install ?

I have read many articles on here with people asking about exhaust manifold leaks ... but most people seem to have it done by pro's

My neighbor who used to be a nissan mechanic says I could do it easy... (easy for him to say :D )

What do you think? attempt it or not?

-Mike

Ive done lots of mainfolds. The left side can be a little tougher than the right due to the EGR tube(it may get damaged if corroded). Still, its not that tough if you are mechanically inclined. Yes, drilling out the old studs can be a pain if you dont have the right stuff, but not impossible. Shoot, Id do them both for $300 if you want to drive down to Rochester, or maybe Fife, depending if the boss would let me....

Just buy all 12 studs, nuts and washers, the gaskets and we can knock her out!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Shoot, Id do them both for $300 if you want to drive down to Rochester, or maybe Fife, depending if the boss would let me....

Just buy all 12 studs, nuts and washers, the gaskets and we can knock her out!

Seriously? You would do it for $300 or help for $300?

I don't mind driving that far... it's only like an hour and half from here...

Would I need new manifolds as well? or can you use the old ones again?

-Mike

Seriously? You would do it for $300 or help for $300?

I don't mind driving that far... it's only like an hour and half from here...

Would I need new manifolds as well? or can you use the old ones again?

-Mike

Yeah, Id do the whole thing for $300. Its up to you if you want to replace the manifolds. I reused mine and I havent had a problem. At the old dealer, we used to keep a few old ones and have them machined. Then when someone had them replaced, we would just put in the ones already machined and had theirs machined. No down time that way. But if you want headers later, I would just reuse them. PM me if you want to set something up

i did the studs (6 out of 11 broken) on mini me (no lifts). PITA but to save $1k to spend on other goodies, DIY! take your time, get the right tools (see precise1's write up) and ask your neighbor for help :beer:

i did the studs (6 out of 11 broken) on mini me (no lifts). PITA but to save $1k to spend on other goodies, DIY! take your time, get the right tools (see precise1's write up) and ask your neighbor for help :beer:

Last time I counted there were 12? or is this the one with one bolt 11 studs :D

Yeah, that or have 5523Pathfinder do it :D I want the experience but not that bad...

The problem with the neighbor is.... he got out of the auto repair because he hated it ... Plus he is super busy with his new job, so I kinda feel bad asking him about auto stuff. Even though he seems to know just about everything.

Any input on keeping old manifolds vs getting new ones?

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Any input on keeping old manifolds vs getting new ones?

-Mike

If they're not cracked, warped or damaged in any other way I'd just clean them up and slap 'em back on. Had to help a friend with his chevy pickup once.....

Man, wish someone on these boards lived near PA... lol.

I'd love to attempt this on my own.. use my grandfathers driveway as it's large and flat... have the tools, just not the experience *shrugs*

• 3 weeks later...

I also need to do this asap. I think it is killing my mileage. Where do I go about finding precise1's write-up?