does removing the front sway bars have a big effect on IFS?

Coucoui6

okay... after all the search on this forum... i've decided to go a head and remove my rear sways for more flexing. but in the past i've usually disconnected my front for off road trips but since my front is only a stock IFS, with the t-bars cranked for lift, will removing the front sways be of true benefit like the rears?

it will make very little difference removing the front. may as well just leave it there.

looking closely at one of your flex pictures on another tread is what prompt my question. i noticed that the rear was flex out to the max and then i was very surprised to see the front sways still on. WOW.

i thought maybe i should just leave my front alone even on a trail.

thanks for the input.

I have to say that articulation has been greatly improved since I removed both my sway bars.

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8704-1.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg

LiftedTerrano.jpg

LowerdTerrano.jpg

Unfortunately I have no "before" shots on hand. These were taken after I had just finished a 2" body lift. I already had a 2" suspension lift.

I can say with out a double that my articulation has increased immensely since I removed my sway bars and the ride is so much smother on shingle roads. It soaks up the undulations on shingle where as with them on it is all over the place. Off road I have more rubber in contact with the ground, loosing traction less often than those with sway bars connected.

• 4 weeks later...
IMO IFS swaybars only reduce body roll and have no impact on articulation

update... my last trip out i only unbolted my rear and left the front alone... i did this for two reasons. first to see the difference and 2nd to minimize the stress on my newly installed compression rod bushings and sleeves. my old sleeves had a hole in it from metal to metal stress.

i was suprised to say the rear sway disconnect was all i needed, ofcouse my trail was not very difficult but i felt that the front could be left alone.

thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

It isn't the amount of flex you gain with no sway (at least the front), we have bump stop limiters that keep our front in a certain motion range, you can tweak it a little, but we all have the same basic amount of front flex lifted or not, sway bar or no. With the sway in place it is constantly trying to keep the 2 wheels level, so if you are in a situation where your one front tire is stuffed and the other is drooping that restrictive force of the sway might be the difference of that drooped tire hangining in the air, where as with no sway it might have full ground contact.

Edited by GrimGreg

It isn't the amount of flex you gain with no sway (at least the front), we have bump stop limiters that keep our front in a certain motion range, you can tweak it a little, but we all have the same basic amount of front flex lifted or not, sway bar or no. With the sway in place it is constantly trying to keep the 2 wheels level, so if you are in a situation where your one front tire is stuffed and the other is drooping that restrictive force of the sway might be the difference of that drooped tire hangining in the air, where as with no sway it might have full ground contact.

I am running a 3" suspension lift with no sways all the time now and i find that i am getting better ground contact in these maxed out articulation situations. On road driving with no sway bars can take some getting used to, but after both of my sways messed up on the same wheeling trip and the rear one put a hole in my floor i just dont ever plan to use them again, especially cuz i dont care about resale value.

i recently cut the front control arm bottom bushing but the top bushing is just a soft rubber dome. i not sure if it is worth replacing them with lower profile urethane ones. cutting the dome seems to be useless considering the bushing is only maybe 3/4" tall.

i also cut the rear bushing ... my oem rear bushing has 2 rubber loops... i just cut the bottom ones out.

• 2 weeks later...