Home Remodeling

GrimGreg

Figured we needed a post to share this stuff since I saw I'm not the only one doing a little "home work".

My latest project was my kitchen ceiling. When I bought the house 10.5 years ago it had a ratty, falling down drop ceiling, I wanted to remove it but realized I couldn't. It covered up some exposed wiring and plumbing. At that time I had completely gutted the rest of the kitchen and put in all new appliances, vinyl floor and oak cabinets. The budget wasn't there to do much with the ceiling, so it was just reworked and made more secure. Fast forward to about this time last year and the kitchen was showing all 9 of it's hard used years since my first attempt at it, so we decide to revamp it again. This time leaving the cabinets and appliances, but new countertops and floor to be added and the colors made a little warmer (old palete was light grey and green marble). With the redo we planned to redo the ceiling, but we hadn't decided exactly how. My original plan called for adding stained oak over all the gridwork then use a vinyl fabric to cover the ceiling tiles (also converting from 2x4 tiles to 2x2 tiles) and adding new 2x2 fluorescent lights. That evolved into what we ended up doing; rather than vinyl, we used leather look wall panel cut into 2x2 pieces, the gridwork (normally white) was painted with rustoleum Hammered Brown, and the lights are 4" recessed cans with 50w Hallogens and a normal ceiling fixture with 2-35w compact fluorescent.

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

I'm very happy with the result, it turned out better than I had imagined. My main worry was it being to dark, but the lights actually give more light than the former setup did (2, 4 bulb, 2x4 fluorescent lights). Whatcha think?

Looks great Ryan. When you posted the tiles, I thought the same thing about it being too dark, but it looks good! :aok:

Now that is the way to make a drop ceiling work for you. Looks great!

I had some photos of a buddies kitchen that he re-worked, looks ok except he opted for these white-wash stain cabinets that I am not a big fan of. they look alright cause he re-tiled the floor with a close to white-wash gray. Just not my taste. Cool part was since him and his girl dont use the dishwasher (they are like my wife and I and just wash their dishes by hand after they use them by habit) so he took out the dishwasher and built a refrigerated enclosure using the guts of one of those small refrigerators and plumbed it up with a tap on top for enclosed hidden kegorator. It finished up real nice and it looks good. I will try to find pics.

i have nothing. i need to rewire my house. one of these days it may happen. that's about it.

oh, i guess i will do a little bit in my bathroom but that's also not in immediate plans. i will share once i get on it.

do you have before pics?

Very nice GG!! Unfortunately, as a renter, I have little to share other than a garden and a patio I installed. Besides, thats not my area of expertise. Now, if you need some quality metal work done... ;)

B

Last fall we did some rehab on the house that my fiancee and I live in. The last tenants trashed it so we had to tear out the bathroom fixtures, sink, tub and replace the rotting floor. We also tore up the ripped linoleum kitchen floor, sub floor and sink. We put in new tile floors, new sinks, granite tile counter in the kitchen and repainted the interior. It helps when your landlord is your fiancee's parents.

I learned how to use a nail gun, tile saw, chop saw. How to lay tile, how to install a bathtub, and what a pain in the @$$ it is to rip up particle board underlayment that has nails every inch throughout it.

Here are some shots of the work.

kitchen.jpg

Kitchen stripped bare

newfloorinkitchen.jpg

Measuring for new underlayment

housedemo004.jpg

No, the toilet doesn't belong there

housedemo017.jpg

There will be a tub

vanitycounterclosetocomeplete.jpg

The bathroom nearly done. Toilet is back home and tub is in. Tile work is done.

Edited by Oliver

Wait a year....I'll revive this thread.... Pezzy and I are about 90% sure buying my folks place next spring. Then I can show you some of the stuff my dad and I have done in that house, and some of the stuff Pezzy and I will be doing to change it up and make it ours. :aok:

As of right now, we're in an apartment, in a building that my dad and my aunt own. Typically, we don't do anything special in there, as the tenants just wreck stuff, so it's basic break/fix type stuff in there. :shrug:

Maybe you can show them a picture of when you fix the mirror in the bathroom... :tongue:

Maybe you can shut the hell up! :lol::tongue:

• Like 1

I will, when the mirror is fixed. :D [/online domestic]

I charge $75/hr with a one time trip fee of $150 (International Fee included), also materials carry a 5% markup if I have to supply. All figures in US dollars.

:D

(I love being a Handyman)

Maybe you can show them a picture of when you fix the mirror in the bathroom... :tongue:
Maybe you can shut the hell up! :lol::tongue:
I will, when the mirror is fixed. :D [/online domestic]

can you guys keep your marital bliss to yourselves? thanks. this thread is about fixing things not breaking them, eh. :D

(I love being a Handyman)

lol, actually Simon is pretty handy... it's more a matter of time & motivation. Hell I could fix the mirror myself, and had planned on doing it over the winter, but meh, things come up... It will be fixed before we move out. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I did a deck reno for Mom back in May. Nothing too exciting here as far as cosmetic upgrades but it proved to be a much bigger job than I expected. I never took a before picture but it had that old brown striped indoor/outdoor on it and was quite crunchy so.....

Had to replace this end piece due to rain exposure.

DeckandBoat036.jpg

Same thing with these 2 pieces.

DeckandBoat038.jpg

DeckandBoat039.jpg

Primed and ready for new carpet.

DeckandBoat040.jpg

I'm on glue!!

DeckandBoat043.jpg

Rebuilt this roof 3 years ago with my step bro-in-law.

DeckandBoat037.jpg

40 feet long, 1 piece, no seams.

DeckandBoat044.jpg

Check out the hospital corner (inside joke)

DeckandBoat047.jpg

I told her to paint those pillars first! I wanted to put new railings on to but she couldn't justify the cost.

DeckandBoat050.jpg

Done deal

DeckandBoat046.jpg

It wasn't perfect but Mom was happy and that's what counts.

DeckandBoat052.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the newest project around my house. I bought my house just over 1 year ago, and its brand new, but plain. I have already painted my living room, as some may know. Now we have moved onto my stepdaughters rooms. We started my middle stepdaughter, Brittini's room last sunday night and finished today with a few touch ups. Now, by no means am I very good with this stuff. Im more about cars, but I figured it out after asking some questions and looking some stuff up. Anyway, we striped her walls(her choice), hung some shelves and a closest organizer. I know, its not the most difficult, but, it is was it is.

We started by taping things off....

P7270252.jpg

P7270253.jpg

Aint I sexy!

P7280254.jpg

P7280255.jpg

Then started with the green...

P7290258.jpg

and added blue...

P7290260.jpg

P7290261.jpg

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Then we filled in the bottom with more blue...

P7290262.jpg

Then we peeled the tape to expose the original wall color..

P8010263.jpg

P8010264.jpg

P8010271.jpg

Anyway, not a big job, but its something. Gotta wait to load the pics of the closet and shelves, camera battery dead.

Nice job daft, those kinda paint jobs drive me nuts! I used to be a painter for like 9 months and we did some weird stuff kinda like that but in commercial settings. Did you guys use the "tape-caulk" method. It looks like in one of the pics. you can see the sheen of the caulk on the sides of the tape. I did not learn of this method until a guy I was working with showed me. It sure makes a perfect line!