On Board Air

Extreme90path

This last weekend I went wheeling with a buddy that has a Toyota 4runner (85; 35" cooper STTs ARBx2 blah blah) Anyways, I had heard of people converting their A/C compressor to an air compressor. After seeing his in action (resetting my bead and his xD) I was sold on converting mine. I just wanted to find out if anyone here has done it yet, and if yes, what kind of oil are you using for the nizzy compressor. I have done a bit of research on it, and most people I have found are either running a York A/C compressor (Self contained oil) or air tool oil. What do you guys think? I am pretty excited to get on board Air. xD. Also I have been busy with the ol nizzy. I finally have a custom front bumper and I am currentlly working on my sliders. Oh yeah and I am ordering Trxus M/T tomarrow YAY! So anyways any input would be awesome!

-Ben

Edited by Extreme90path

Why is that? I know a toyota guy running the stock toyota one with just standard compressor oil, and it proforms awesome. I am going to give it a shot, and if it works I will post a write-up.

i was looking into the same thing. your not going to be able to use the stock a/c compressor from the pathfinder

& that would be why?

its only going to stop if its got no oil in it. an inline oiler is an easy answer to that

i use generic light machine oil in my sd7

So, do you just use the A/C button to turn it on and off? How do you plumb it (intake, output etc.) I've always been curious and have heard people talk about doing this mod, just never saw a completed system with a how-to write up.

Well that is the plan, Air tool oil or compressor oil. Here is a diagram of what I am going for:

Found this on the net:

diagram.jpg

Now what I am going to do to control the A/C compressor is use a pressure switch that is rated for 125psi, and it will engage and disengage the compressor using the ac clutch to maintain a consistant 125psi in the air tank. I will also install a 140 psi popoff valve just incase the pressure switch fails. For an airtank I pulled an old airtank off of a semi truck, that is going to mount between my frame rails with a custom skid for protection. Then I will put a power switch in the cab (hopfully reusing the A/C switch with a different label) with a remote pressure gage mounted in the back next to where the stock in-cab tire carrier was. Then for the outlets I am going to run airhose with "quick connects" mounted in the back next the the pressure gage and upfront on the bumper. So that is the plan. I will post pics of the install, I hope to have it done here in the next week or so.

oh yeah kind of off topic, here is a pic of the new bumper for those interested haha yeah it's not perfectlly straight, but it was my first bumper build after all xD :crossedwires:

Picture031.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Edited by Extreme90path

theres a few schematics kickn around on the net, that is basiaclly the same as the rest. However, as it show, its for a york. yorks have a sump, therefore they dont need to be oiled

for round sanden style compressors you need to add an oiler to the air inlet. i have a fitting from my engine air intake that goes to my oiler then to my compressor inlet.

this is my oiler: the blue & grey thing next to the washer bottle.

post-15-1211679710_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah on a side note, I will just keep oil with me and add it every couple of times I use it through the intake.

i wouldnt recommend it.

inline oilers are cheap and effective.

Cool, I didn't know they made inline oilers like that, I am going to have to get one of those. Thanks! Also I do realize that was for a york, and that is has it's own oiling system, I just used the diagram to give a basic idea of what I am shooting for =)

Edited by Extreme90path

Not sure yet, but I what I think is it acts like a drip system. So as the air goes by (via vacume caused by intake) it sucks it into the compressor to keep it consistanlly lubricated.

Edited by Extreme90path

it acts on the principle of a venturi

yes it lets little drops of oil in to the air going to the compressor.

you can vary the flow of the drips of oil

Why is that? I know a toyota guy running the stock toyota one with just standard compressor oil, and it proforms awesome. I am going to give it a shot, and if it works I will post a write-up.

I actually picked up a "new" yota AC Comp today from a wrecking yard to replace the one that I have stored in the garage, it's in geat shape (much better than the one I had before) But this is for the yota of course.

About the nizzy comp.. not sure as I have heard little about the amount of air it can push, Toyota compressors have a good rep (among the highest afaik) of being a prime choice for converting for OBA. I would be very intersted in the results you end up with using the Nissan unit.

my d21 was fitted with a 'diesel ki-ki' compressor

dont know much about em, i have a feeling they are tied back to zexel somewhere. tho i could be barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by sw

my d21 was fitted with a 'diesel ki-ki' compressor

dont know much about em, i have a feeling they are tied back to zexel somewhere. tho i could be barking up the wrong tree.

Probably different for the canadian/us models than the aussie ones. :shiftyeyes:

I am just gathering parts at the moment. Though I was doing my timing belt on my Audi 4000 last night and I decided to pull the A/C and I found out it has a York so I am thinking about throwing that into the pathy, dunno yet though, depends on how excited I get.