Tire Carrier Bushing

gangsterchicken7

Ok i just read this : http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...carrier+bushing

My problem is that when i shut my tire carrier and just when driving around (hitting bumps in the road), the carrier clanks around and it seems like it's coming from the hinge area.

My question is....if i lube the hinges up will the problem most likely stop or will i have to replace to the bushing? And if that's the case....how do i get the hinges outta there?

Thanks guys. :)

if i remember right, the bushign bolts in from the back of the hinge (2 bolts get the hinge off)

you can lube it... but the noise will come back if the bushing is worn out

and people wonder WHY i took all my carriers off? :blink:

Edited by Slick

Sorry, I didn't clarify that mine used to rattle like hell all the time before I stuffed the rubber hose in the hinge. It actually stops the rattle since it takes the slop out of the worn bushing and if you cut it the right length it will stay put when the carrier is opened. Try it. Helluva lot easier than replacing the bushings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok y'all I've come to the point of getting the carrier off and now i'm kinda lost.

How the hell do i get the bushings outta there?

Here are some pics of what i'm dealing with:

If ya could just refer to the pic and tell me from there. :crossedwires:

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02102.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

Hope y'all can help b/c i need this thing to just shut up. Tried the fuel line deal but i can't deal with a temp. fix.

you have to grid off one end of the hinge pin that has been flanged out. then you can remove the pin, replace the bushings then use new hardware i think its 10mm bolts for new hinge pins.

Wow that sucks. Ok just grind off one of the heads. Will i get new hardware when i get the bushing or will i have to go buy it seperatly? Either way i doesn't matter i just need to know what i'm buying, so i can get it all at once.

BTW....thanks alot.

and people wonder WHY i took all my carriers off? :blink:

Mine is holding my passenger rear fender on.

Yeah, to get the pins out; grind off the smaller end that is slightly domed, then knock the pin out with a punch. You can buy the bushings and replacement pins at the dealer. If you want part numbers before you go, search "tire carrier hinge" on AC.

Good luck with the replacement process. I hope it goes much easier for you than it did for my buddy. He probably had 4+ hrs into the project when all was said and done. Three years later his rattle is back. If you are carrying anything other than the stock mini-spare it's just going to wear out again, faster than you can imagine (so in a sense this is also a temp fix). If the carrier is even a bit out of round from wear your rattle will be back instantly. I went with JJ BigShoe's method and would much rather spend the 10 minutes and $2.00 every now and then. :shrug:

But here's to you and your dedication to fixing it "right" :friday:

the key is to have a good stock support bracket with the stock plastic slider piece. that is the one that supports the weight of the tire when closed. without it you put all the weight on the hinges.

the key is to have a good stock support bracket with the stock plastic slider piece. that is the one that supports the weight of the tire when closed. without it you put all the weight on the hinges.

Any thought on a retrofit, maybe welding in some cups and press fitting a couple bearings in. Might be a more permanent solution.

Mark

X2 on that. Mine broke about 2 weeks ago and now my carrier squeeks.

ok well i was gonna take care of this today. But i got suckered into working a 16 hr day. Some maybe sometime this weekend. Maybe IDK.

But thanks for all the replies. Y'all are awesome. I'll let you know what becomes of this mess =D

My stock carrier has 18 years on it... cept for a little rust, nothing is wrong with it...

And it's carrying what?

Throw a 33" tire on the back for a week.... :rolleyes: