VG33 vs VQ35

vengeful

Aside from the obvious 80hp increase and the timing chain, why should I abandon the proven VG33 for a VQ35?

A little bit of background...I'm looking to replace Betsy (my black Pathfinder) with another R50 (white this time). See: Wanted: A Very Specific Pathfinder for what I'm looking for. However, I'm finding that it is very difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for. With what I'm looking to use the vehicle for the 5M Transmission would be more reliable, but the 4A transmission would be much much easier on the vehicle - so I could really go either way, as long as the 4WD was actuated by a Lever, not a button.

I have driven a VG33 Pathfinder for the last 6 years, it's proven itself indestructible even when I drove it through 4 feet of water with an open filter and it sucked water, even with only 2.5 qts of oil in the engine, because some grease monkey jerkwad didn't put enough in. Why should I abandon what has been so good to me to get a chain and 80 horses?

Aside from the obvious 80hp increase and the timing chain, why should I abandon the proven VG33 for a VQ35?

A little bit of background...I'm looking to replace Betsy (my black Pathfinder) with another R50 (white this time). See: Wanted: A Very Specific Pathfinder for what I'm looking for. However, I'm finding that it is very difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for. With what I'm looking to use the vehicle for the 5M Transmission would be more reliable, but the 4A transmission would be much much easier on the vehicle - so I could really go either way, as long as the 4WD was actuated by a Lever, not a button.

I have driven a VG33 Pathfinder for the last 6 years, it's proven itself indestructible even when I drove it through 4 feet of water with an open filter and it sucked water, even with only 2.5 qts of oil in the engine, because some grease monkey jerkwad didn't put enough in. Why should I abandon what has been so good to me to get a chain and 80 horses?

I hate giving up on reliable vehicles. Ive sold a few in the past, only to kick myself for ever getting rid of them, and replacing them with something else later.

Is there any way you can keep "ole Betsy", or do you need to sale her to get the new one?

Well the 80 horses would definitely be useful... i'm sure it would help in offroading situations as well, i know my VG33 sometimes struggles to turn 4 wheels in deep sand, I know more power would get me out of situations like that much quicker..... vq35 probably burns the same amount of gas as the VG33

But what about all the minor problems we hear about the VQ35? Like O2 sensors, ignition coils, and the screws in the intake manifold backing themselves out? (vengeful i know u had a lot of problems with your vg33 but i dont know how, mine has 143k hard miles with no mechanical problems yet, maybe its the salt where u live??)

I would LOVE the extra power (and exhaust tone) the VQ35 provides, but my only question is reliability, I drive deep into desolate Mexico several times a year and reliability is my #1 priority, I can not afford to have important engine components fail down there and leave me stranded (the only major one would be the ignition coils, since you can drive on bad O2 sensors and you can have the intake manifold screws locktited)

Another question - since you mentioned u want the lever instead of knob - is the VQ35 even available with lever? The only ones ive seen are just knob or no knob at all (2wd what a joke)

I think the VQ35 motor is just as reliable as the VG33 engine. I have had my VQ for a year now and have put 19000km on it with no problems what so ever. I have infact taken the manifold off to locktite the powervalve screws but thats really all i have done for it. The ignition coils and the O2 sensors I think are only a problem for the 01 pathys since that was the first year the engine was put in, because i have yet to have any of those problems. As for the manual lever I have seen them on the XE's for the 01, but as I am from canada, nissan discontinued the XE in 2002 so I think it's all knobs from then on unless you get a 5 speed manual then you get the lever. Anyways good luck with your decision.

Take care of it and it will take care of you. Every car and truck power train on the road today has it's issues. We're not talking weak rods or anything here either...if the powervalve screws are the worst problem (known so far), then do the afternoon's-worth of work and loc-tite them. Problem solved. The VQ power train, with the proper maintenance (which I know you do Dan) is equally as dependable as the VG. I don't think there's really anything else to be said that you don't already know about it, so I'm not going to try to "sell you". You're enough of a Nissan geek as anyone else who knows the ins and outs of this brands mechanicals. Enough said.

If you can score a 5-spd VQ pathy, pencil me in for a joy ride would you please? DEFINATELY a good move there.

To FUELER:

HPIM0220.jpg

01+ LE's came standard with All Mode (switch), SE's took the lever until 2003 IIRC, the All-Mode became an option on SE's.

BTW, 98K on mine, another month till I hit the big 100 on mine :D

Edited by navygz19

Believe me, if it were worth it to put the money into Betsy, I would. I might as well come out with it, this truck will not survive the trip to Ushuaia. Priority number 1 is reliability. I need a vehicle that I can put 40,000km in 4 months and not have any mechanical failures. I also need a vehicle that I am 110% familiar with, which is why I am still thinking R50 Pathfinder.

SE got the lever through 2002. In 2003 the All-Mode became an option, but the lever was available on the SE through 2003. 2004-All VQ driven Pathfinders were Knobs. 2WD doesn't even register on my screen as being a Pathfinder. That is called a Mallfinder.

Yo man!

Both side of the fence here! Cam'd out VG33E, SAFC II, Wideband lots of fun! Lift, tires ....

I completely identify with the wonder about the difference between the 2 rigs. The old Path (R50) even looks more like a classic Nissan, in fact despite its sexy sheet metal my R50 late version looks nothing like any other Nissan !! Frontier--nope, Xterra-same, Armada-nope, Quest?-nope, Alty, Max, 350---nope nope nope...it really shares no relation to all the other nissans. The only similarity is to the X and that is body shape overall, not the front or rear fascia...but you, my friend, have a steel bumper--now you're talking!!

I have made the transition--yet I am still no offroader (I don't count yards, curbs, etc as any of that type of off roading could happen in a car), and love this engine and this truck...same familiar territory inside, better (perhaps) interior quality, way stronger engine---CRAZY torq----part your old girl out and keep those 4.63's, you will be ahead! Or swap the 4.363's into your betsy and still sell her!

Take the plunge, know that power is much more pronounced and will be unlocked by a simple intake, hubs and exhaust (I haven't done that last one yet). I will caution you that the VQ is sooo smooth that I felt that it wasn't the same "personality" truck. I am now thinking that with a flowmaster that she will gain back some of the Nissan grunt. I would also like to add the K&N intake, not jsut the POP.

.....I have seen 5 spds in the US only up to 2002 albeit hard to find...I have yet to see an 03, but they have to be out there from old reviews I have read showing the Manual as an option. Shoot for an 02...Navy kept me looking at 02's and I am super happy about it +++now they are right around 10K after some haggling with a dealer. If you really want a steal PM me, a good friend of mine is a dealer and will hook you up straight from the auction in Manheim PA for a REAL song and a dance!!!

psst...I bought my '02 with 44K last Fall for 9995.00 and a tip for my buddy! My chrome silver (XE--SE) has 52K with not even a funny smell!!! 4.63's to come! :friday:

I've got my dealers license, I could just go to Manheim myself, but I'm WAAAAAY too scrutinous about my vehicles. I would prefer to buy it from the original owner than a dealer, being that I work at a dealership and...well, yeah.

Anyways, there are other options on the table, if I cannot find a suitable Pathfinder.

2001-2004 Tacoma Double Cab TRD

2000-2003 4Runner SR5 Sport

1995-1997 Land Cruiser w/DiffLock

2001-2003 Land Rover Discovery Series II

2006-2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7 - If you think I'm crazy, check out the AEV Arctic Expedition Commander.

Just to name a few...

THe VQ doesn't have any more problems than the VG. Power valve screws are no big deal, and the O2 sensor issues are just as bad in the VG series engines. Pezzy's replaced all 4 of hers.

More power, no timing belt = a good choice as far as I'm concerned. Get an 02+ as you don't want the first year of a redesign. The 4x4 shift lever is available in the lower model 01+ R50's. Transfer your lift, armour and tires, and you're way ahead. :aok:

Anyways, there are other options on the table, if I cannot find a suitable Pathfinder.

2001-2004 Tacoma Double Cab TRD

2000-2003 4Runner SR5 Sport

1995-1997 Land Cruiser w/DiffLock

2001-2003 Land Rover Discovery Series II

2006-2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7 - If you think I'm crazy, check out the AEV Arctic Expedition Commander.

Just to name a few...

Very sweet vehicles!(IMHO of course) Man if you already have a license than shoooot you're ready to rock out with your schmock out! Lol!!

Dibs on the TJM if you land another rig!! ...and please if you decide so...stick around!!

I'll put you in line Chris...you're about 7th right now. LOL

To summarize...the basic consensus is that each engine has it's Pros and Cons, and the Cons of either engine do not rule it out of contention for a 50,000KM Round-Trip Expedition from Ushuaia, Argentina to Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada, and that with proper maintenance and proper driving habits, both engines should have the same approximate longevity.

VQ35:

Pros:

255HP when Mated to an Automatic Transmission and 4WD

Timing Chain

Larger Oil Capacity

Similar Fuel efficiency to VG33 with more output

Cons:

Power Valve Screws Prone to backing-out

Oxygen Sensor troubles

Requires Premium Gasoline AKI 91 or higher

VG33:

Pros:

Proven Reliabilty

Bulletproof construction

Ability to run well on poor quality fuel

Ease of maintenance

AKI 87 Gasoline recommended

Cons:

Timing belt

Water pump prone to failure if not changed with timing belt

California Emissoins systems prone to electrical problems

I'd rather be able to run regular unleaded, but timing chain and 255hp is definitely appealing...LOL.

how bout this...go landcruiser and then we can trade?

one a more serious note, i really like the VG but the power of the VQ is pretty amazing...is changing a tbelt really that big of a deal to you? I know its a hassle but for me its just more time i get to work on the truck, which is why i love all my vehicles...i get emotional when talking about my cars i know :gay:

Nope, I've done it twice already. I'm more concerned with durability and reliability under prolonged off-pavement, extremely remote-area* use.

*We're talking about areas where the only communication with the civilized world is by SatPhone. Areas where a rescue helicopter is 2-3 weeks out, should things go completely snookered.

A couple of things: the VQ will run fine on regular gas, at least in my experience. Runs better on mid-grade mind you.

No one has mentioned the increase in torque in the VQ. Much more important for that off-road grunt than HP if I recall right.

But bottom line for me would be finding all the "stuff" I wanted, at the price I was willing to pay, in a vehicle that is in acceptable condition. Would not matter if it had VG or VQ......

Yo DAN!!

Here is a sweet VQ 5 spd on ebay with only 37K miles and a sweet color!!!

Actually its nicer than mine! Sunroof and in dash OE Changer! The cloth is just Schaweet!

Wow that is a nice on, I love that color...id love to have that VQ with a 5 speed, idk about my VG33 though, a little weak for me with a stick

I forgot about the VQ requiring 91 octane fuel. This can be a problem in third world countries. Also, I am pretty sure that they do not sell a VQ35 Pathfinder in Mexico, only VG33, which can mean problems getting VQ35 parts down there. (but i can be wrong). But I have seen 2005+ Pathfinders down there so maybe i'm wrong. There definitely is no VQ35 Pathfinder in Australia so its very possible that its the same in central/south america.

The gas quality down there can be degraded. It's actually USA gas over there, from Texas, but they have problems with contamination.

By the way, I just drove down into Mexico for lunch today and gas is equivalent to $2.80 a gallon. And it's USA gas (Thanks George Bush, u are a true patriot)

Edited by FUELER