Pathy dying, Radiator hot, but not the engine?

zeppelindrummer

So i was recently dealing with my old busted radiator not working correctly. Replaced the T-stat, and the radiator as well as the lower hose. I've been driving the pathy for the last three days with nothing being wrong with the radiator or the engine.... no overheating or anything was wrong at all.

Today though, i drove to walmart, which is 1.1 miles from my house. i parked the car, went in and bought my loaf of french bread, and then came back out. I started the car and it died after idling for about 5 seconds. I popped the hood and immediately felt the heat coming off of the radiator, but not from the engine. Opened up the cap off of the radiator and coolant shot out (duh)

-How could it have got so hot after driving hardly a mile, and browsing around walmart for so long, and then coming out to leave?

After trying to start it a few more times, i got it running, and drove home as quick as i could. about .8 miles from my house (i work right next to the walmart, so i know exactly how far away it is) the car died again. I pulled over, and tried starting it again... it took a couple more tries and i got it started, and i got home.

Got out, and the radiator was steaming from the coolant that had dripped down it when i opened it a little while ago. Opened the hood again, and the radiator was very hot, but the engine again, was not. (Not as hot as it is when it overheats... my temp. gauge doesn't work, but i could tell that the engine wasn't overheating)

-The Radiator is bran new... could i have got a bad radiator?

-It didn't sound like i was getting fuel when it wouldn't start, could that be a possible problem?

-I did a quick flush of just the radiator with water after i put it in, but haven't flushed the whole system yet. ( i did however flush everything when i was trying to fix my old radiator) so i didn't think i would need to flush everthing.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

what was your temp gauge reading? have you ever had the dying issue before? is there coolant or just straight h2o in the rad? is the cap new? did the h2o boil out of the rad, or was it just very hot?

could be h2o pump or t stat not installed correctly, but that wouldn't explain the stalling out. auto or manual?

what was your temp gauge reading?

Temp gauge is busted...

have you ever had the dying issue before?

Never once.

is there coolant or just straight h2o in the rad?

50/50 coolant and h2o

is the cap new?

Its not new, but it came with the radiator when i bought it new. i know it has a good seal though

did the h2o boil out of the rad, or was it just very hot?

it didn't boil over... but it was really hot, definitely was boiling when i opened the cap and it then spit all over me...

but that wouldn't explain the stalling out

yeah... its never stalled on me ever!, and its a manual... i'm pretty sure i have the t-stat installed correctly, my dad is making me take it out and check though. how should it be installed?

Temp gauge is busted...

Never once.

50/50 coolant and h2o

Its not new, but it came with the radiator when i bought it new. i know it has a good seal though

it didn't boil over... but it was really hot, definitely was boiling when i opened the cap and it then spit all over me...

yeah... its never stalled on me ever!, and its a manual... i'm pretty sure i have the t-stat installed correctly, my dad is making me take it out and check though. how should it be installed?

there is a little valve that "wobbles" in there...... i KNOW there's a pic of correct install somewhere, I'll see if i can find it for you... it has to go in a specific way, if it doesn't, then it won't open.... or it won't open until it's too late.

do you have a FSM or haynes manual? they both show a pic of correct install.

ok, so basically, tho the block isn't overheating as far as you KNOW.... the rad is..... which emans it's not cooling properly before circulating back into the block, which is NOT a good thing. have you done the squeeze test on the rad hoses? top and bottom? (for pressure)

It's possible to buy a bad thermostat, but you'd think the whole system would overheat before in that case.

Still have the clutch fan installed? Is it working? You didn't mention the belts... Are they all there?

How can you tell the block isn't hot again?

If you've replaced everything else (*correctly), my money is on the water pump. With no water flow, you'd have no trouble overheating in a mile or less.

check the t-stat first.

check the fan, clutch and belts.

could also be big air bubble or blockage... any hoses twisted or kinked severely?

are u losing any coolant?

fix the temp gage or install an after market 1.

fuel: there could be delivery issues if you are overheating. you'll never know for sure though unless you have some kind of a gage.. just 'doesn't seem hot' doesn't really mean anything.

ah... should have bought wheat bread.. healther for you.. thats probably why your pathy is dying.. its trying to tell you somthing :coffee!:

Look who is talking about health, Mr. Mickeys

Problem seems to be solved!

took out the T-stat, and investigated a bit... found that it was installed correctly, but the gasket maker stuff, filled the bubbler and plugged the hole, not letting the little metal piece move at all! cleaned it off, and had to go to checker to get some stuff anyway, so i told them what happened and they gave me a new t-stat!

I closed everything off without the t-stat, and it all seems to be working pretty good! i had to drive quite a bit yesterday, so i'm thinking that was the problem.

• 7 months later...

If your T-gage isn't working, how about your fuel gage and clock? If that's the case (and a working t-gage really helps diagnose overheating issues), then you need a new voltage regulator in your dash. If you want, I can writeup a howto on replacing it...