Who has a garden?

Precise1

Cool, one word of advice though... I grew corn last year and it tasted great (silver queen hybrid) but the yield (2 ears per stalk) was low for the room required compared to big producing plants like squash, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. If you are limited for room, you may want to pass on the corn... :shrug:

Make sure to go buy a bag or two of cow or chicken @!*% and dig it in good. The paybacks from the veggies will be worth it! :beer:

B

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 16'x8' area, I've been able to do 4, 6' rows on 1/3 of it in the past.

BTW, just google mapped it.... 40.042351, -82.991878 cords should be dead center in the garden plot.

I have a 16'x8' area, I've been able to do 4, 6' rows on 1/3 of it in the past.

Wel, thats at least double the sixe I'm planting in so I guess you have the space. I just grew 6 plants in a 3x5 area...

BTW, just google mapped it.... 40.042351, -82.991878 cords should be dead center in the garden plot.

Cool, but it looks like your red truck a few houses to the right of the N/S running street?? I'm at 38.264962, 122.452408 but the resolution sucks at my end. Must be the oblique angle approach? :shrug:

B

Wel, thats at least double the sixe I'm planting in so I guess you have the space. I just grew 6 plants in a 3x5 area...

Cool, but it looks like your red truck a few houses to the right of the N/S running street?? I'm at 38.264962, 122.452408 but the resolution sucks at my end. Must be the oblique angle approach? :shrug:

B

So, uhm, you are in the sea by Korea?

No, not my 93 in that, but my green Honda in front of the house, which I traded for my 88 Pathy.

So, uhm, you are in the sea by Korea?

*snort*

Missed the - sign... these coodinates should be more accurate...

38.264962, -122.452407

Ahh, cc on the green honda... Looks like your neighbors are messy... :D

B

• 3 weeks later...

Cool!

I have peas and lettuce to eat. The tomatos are going nutz (and blooming), the eggplants are flowering (the peppers too) and the squash/zuchinni/cucumbers are sprawling. I'm looking forward to a good harvest this year!! I'll hold off with the picts for a little bit also though... :beer:

B

Oops. I forgot to mention the brocoli I'm harvesting also, although the florrets are quite small.

Sorry to hear MZ, I hope you are doing better. You couldn't have lost too much time back there, planting season has just begun, right??

As for the article, I agree in principle, but I think people are going a bit too far afield with things. Remember the y2k scare? I think I bought a can of chili and a gallon of water, and seemed to have weathered it out fine... :tongue:

I am looking for land to buy in the area though. Not too far out, but 5-10 miles away from the cities seems about right. 1-3 acres is the goal, then I have to build on it. Wish me luck, and pray for continued economic colapse; I'm saving cash regardless... ;)

B

I'm getting the gardening bug myself now that I'm out of apartment living. (Thank God)

So far we're sprouting seedlings for some flowers for our wedding in august. We've planted roses, flowers, some rhodies.

As for food stuffs we're growing strawberries, broccoli, raspberries, tomatoes and snap peas. I'm planning on digging out a plot for potatoes, corn, lettuce, peppers and cucumbers.

I've got about an acre of grass which I wouldn't miss if I got rid of it all, but I don't have the time or knowledge to tend a garden of that size.

I think I'm gonna run up to the store and get some manure today and plan my attack on the grass.....

I thought I had a great spot in the back yard untill I started digging.

It was full of old tin cans broken glass and unidentifiable garbbage. :wackinit:

It must have been used as a garbage pit bak in the 30's when my house was built.

I donated a few radishes to the "community" garden at my Grandmothers farm.

My Aunts and Uncle all have stuff in there and it is BIG! (the garden I mean not the plants.)

I have some summer squash pumpkins and mabee even watermelon goin in soon.

I'm no veggie person. Usualy if it doesnt come on my burger I dont eat them but something about growing them yourself make them yummy.

Now to find a spot for the "herb" garden. Shouldn't be to hard with 400+ acres!

I've got about an acre of grass which I wouldn't miss if I got rid of it all

Ok, that makes me REALLY jealous!!! I doubt I have 200 sq feet. Going to look at a house today though that has a reasonably large back yard...

I'm no veggie person. Usualy if it doesnt come on my burger I dont eat them but something about growing them yourself make them yummy.

That Sir, is the truth!!

B

Ok, that makes me REALLY jealous!!! I doubt I have 200 sq feet. Going to look at a house today though that has a reasonably large back yard...

Ugg. I just finished mowing. I really need a riding mower.....

But on a good note, my (future) father in law just GAVE me a weed-eater and a near-new craftsman chain saw and he loaned me a compressor for the garage. How sweet is that?

Edited by Oliver

Yep, thats about what my tomatos are doing. WTF is up with the weather though? It hit 100 and then hasn't seen 80 for 2 weeks. I need HEAT for the tomatos, eggplants and peppers!!!

Here is the garden as of yesterday. Broccoli, eggplant, lettuce, onion, garlic, tomato, bell pepper, wax pepper, spaghetti/butternut/golden squash, peas and cucumbers are all shown. Most everything is flowering or has fruit forming. The other photo is of the patio area I put in and the little coolie I have helping me. Now, if only I could teach her that you have to water them regularly...

B

DSCN3385.jpg

DSCN3386.jpg

Picture060.jpg