Low Gear Pathy

crward

post-5109-1205203625_thumb.jpg

Hello all. I recently bought a 1995 XE 4X4 with a 5 speed. This is the 1st Pathy I have ever owned and so far I love it. However, the truck is geared very low. Im talking about being in 4th gear by the time I'm at 35MPH. I know the truck is in 2H. The truck runs great for 190,000 miles, but damn, its like driving a Mack Truck. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by crward

They are geared low. That's how they get any power out of the 3.0L V6.

The one good thing is, you can fit 31x10.5x15" tires on it, stock, so you'll gain a little higher gearing, just in tires if you upgrade.

Dang, I know my 3 spd auto can do 30+ in 1st, 70+ in nd, and 100+ in 3rd w/ the TQ and OD locked in...

But yeah, dunno much about the 5 spd setup *shrugs* They be good trucks though!

Top end is fine (Ive had it up to 75mph with no problem). Not much reason for faster than that. Just the low gears are very low. I havent taken it offroad (yet) but Im sure those low gears will come in handy.

Dang, I know my 3 spd auto can do 30+ in 1st, 70+ in nd, and 100+ in 3rd w/ the TQ and OD locked in...

But yeah, dunno much about the 5 spd setup *shrugs* They be good trucks though!

dude the vg30e wd21s are 4 speed auto with OD

i'm revving at 2500 doing 100kmh and 3000 doing 120 with the tc locked :ohno01: gas killer :ar15:

Edited by redfinder

First is quite low - which is what you want off road.

Unless I come to a complete stop (which I rarely do, this being California and all!), I leave it in 2nd. And I am running 32" tires.

Even from a stop, put in 1st and pretty much let clutch all the way out in one smooth motion to get going. Properly driven, clutches can last over 200K miles. We've had 2 last that long already - with one at 230K and going strong!

post-5109-1205203625_thumb.jpg

Hello all. I recently bought a 1995 XE 4X4 with a 5 speed. This is the 1st Pathy I have ever owned and so far I love it. However, the truck is geared very low. Im talking about being in 4th gear by the time I'm at 35MPH. I know the truck is in 2H. The truck runs great for 190,000 miles, but damn, its like driving a Mack Truck. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have an auto, but she runs and runs....I was doin' better than a Jeep with better tires and a slight lift in the snow 3 weeks ago!!! :itsallgood:

I thought the VG30E was 3 spd, + TQ and OD?

Least that's what, I think it was Ghostfinder, told me... o0'

it has, IIRC, 4 actual gears, 4th being the overdrive gear, then theres the torque converter lockup. If you turn the od switch off, it should go 1,2,3, and stay there.

I think you mean TC, right?

You sure? I had OD disabled today to test and it still did 5 total shifts up to 75 MPH before I re-enabled it (I had to make a mad dash onto the highway due to heavy traffic)... 1st up to 30 mph (5.5k rpm), 2nd up to 55(from 5.5k down to 3.5k, back up to 5.5k), 3rd up to 70 (as I started to let off the throttle a bit, from 5.5k down to 4.5k), HUGE drop in RPM (from 4.5k down to 3.5k)(TC I assume), then one final drop, from 3.5k down to 3.0 as I slowed back down to 65 mph... *shrugs* Aren't exact numbers -- I was more concerned about the mac truck running up my arse end XD I then re-enabled OD and it dropped another 500 or so RPM and leveld at 2.5k rpm @ 65 MPH

I'll actually test it tonight on the way home.

• 1 month later...
didnt the older, i mean 87-90 only have a 3spd auto? i have a 95 thats a 4sp w/od

Some 86-87's had the 3-speed. All other autos have the same 4-speed OD automatic.

crward: you're ABSOLUTELY sure you're in 2WD? The only way I can imagine being in 4th gear at 35 MPH is in 4-LO. The standard gearing in the diffs, transmission and t-case simply aren't set up to be that low in 2WD. Either you're stuck in 4-LO or....I dunno.

I put the 4.63's into my 5 speed pathfinder and i can barely run in 4th at 35mph . It will do it but there isn't much go-go-go dropping into 4th at that speed. I can run 5th gear with my 33's though whoo hoo! Downside being I redline on the freeway if i go to fast 80 mph or so .

ok. maybe im just use to my z-28. this is the 1st 4x4 i have owned.

Are you watching your tach when you shift or are you just playing by ear?

Chevy V8's run at much lower RPM. If you're not used to other engines, you may be shifting too soon.

It will take longer to get your Nissan to powerband. The line is 6500, I belive.

I know the last time I drove a manual Chevy I about went nuts at the low revs. 350s don't like a 6k shift.

You sure? I had OD disabled today to test and it still did 5 total shifts up to 75 MPH before I re-enabled it (I had to make a mad dash onto the highway due to heavy traffic)... 1st up to 30 mph (5.5k rpm), 2nd up to 55(from 5.5k down to 3.5k, back up to 5.5k), 3rd up to 70 (as I started to let off the throttle a bit, from 5.5k down to 4.5k), HUGE drop in RPM (from 4.5k down to 3.5k)(TC I assume), then one final drop, from 3.5k down to 3.0 as I slowed back down to 65 mph... *shrugs* Aren't exact numbers -- I was more concerned about the mac truck running up my arse end XD I then re-enabled OD and it dropped another 500 or so RPM and leveld at 2.5k rpm @ 65 MPH

I'll actually test it tonight on the way home.

5 shifts up? You are probably seeing the TC lock up in 3rd as well.

JP