Recently tested a magnetic gas saving device

FUELER

Last year, I read a debate on another message board regarding a fuel saving magnetic device, installed on the fuel line, to increase MPG. It sounded ridiculous to me at the time.

One of the officers of the company, Maury Warshauer came on that particular chatroom , defended the Fuelmiser and offered anyone a money back guarantee if they would test the product, and if they didn't see a minimum of a 10% savings on their fuel bill the company would return their purchase price in full. I don't know if anybody took this offer.

I personally would never test those money-back guarantees, from any company. In that topic, I offered to test the product but I would not pay for it. At first he did not want to do that because he does not know me, has never met me and he just did not want to give the product out for free. After a few discussions, he relented and sent me one unit for me to test.

Our agreement was that whatever the test showed, I would publish. All I had to do was follow accepted test protocols. No strings attached. So here you go:

The results are as follows. I have a 1999 Infiniti QX4 with a weak 3.3L V6 (but it's so damn reliable). I did 1200 miles without the Fuelmiser to establish my baseline which was 15.2 mpg.

I then installed the Fuelmiser and did another 1200 miles. My mpg was 17.1 mpg or a 12% increase in my mpg.

I know it's unbelievable. My coworkers think i'm full of BS. I have not been paid to post any of this information. You guys know me well on this message board. The facts are what they are. I did not believe in this device when I first read about it. I showed my coworkers in the office and they got a good laugh out of it. All I can say is that with rising fuel costs, I am glad I have a Fuelmiser on my QX4 (who's laughing now!!)

The lab rat:

0048.jpg

I suggest you guys try this, and post the results.

Edited by FUELER

IIRC, its supposed to align the gasoline molecules as they pass through the magnetic field, thus increasing their combustability which allows them to burn more efficiently yadda yadda yadda...

A 12% increase is nothing to sneeze at for sure, but did you take into account the addition of ethanol or oxygenated gas at the stations where you fueled up?

Oxygenated fuel supposed to bond an oxygen molecule to your exhaust, thus turning some of your carbon monoxide into plant-loving carbon dioxide. A lot of stations in populated areas have to run oxygenated fuel in the summer to reduce emissions during the busy travel months (EPA regulation) but run regular the rest of the year. I know for a fact that oxygenated gas is about 20% less efficient than non-oxygenated. I'd fill up my old Altima in DC with oxy and it would take a full tank (250 miles) to get to my ex's folks' house in WV, about running on fumes. I'd fill up for the return trip with non-oxy and still have a just under 1/4 tank when I got home. Ok, there's less emissions but the trouble is you burn 20% more fuel per mile.

I'm a skeptic by nature, but if Billy Mays wants to sell me not one, but two fuel saving magnets for the low, low price of $19.95 bundled with the Majik Shammy and a Flitz Ball I might just bite.

Fueler, I think your full of sh!t. In this time span of 2400 miles, was the weather the exact same? Was your tire pressure exact? Did you drive exactly the same amount of highway and city miles? Did you use the same exact gas for all 2400 miles? There are too many factors out there. I digress, if indeed it does work then keep us posted on your future mileage fueler.

LOL, I went to the sight just because, expecting some $19.95 magnet kit or similar. $149.95 for this mystic kit...WTF?!?! hahahaha!!! Just for the chance to test something non-specific that *might* produce some sort of uncalculated savings. m'kay....

I offered to test the product but I would not pay for it. At first he did not want to do that because he does not know me, has never met me and he just did not want to give the product out for free. After a few discussions, he relented and sent me one unit for me to test.

Our agreement was that whatever the test showed, I would publish. All I had to do was follow accepted test protocols. No strings attached. So here you go:

I suggest you guys try this, and post the results.

I would also like to perform such a test, but I wont buy one.

I will however post honest results based on tank to tank Millage too and form my night shift job only, no traffic, no inconsitant driving. just staight their and back on empty predictable streets when most ppl are sleeping. filling @ the same pump/station each tank.

I'll use a different veicle to go anywhere else so that results are as controlled as possible.

Edited by MY1PATH

First of all, if all it took was a magnet for a 12% increase in MPG then manufacturers would have been building them into the vehicles for years, and especially the last few. Second, everything about the air/fuel system is designed to atomize the fuel for a faster more complete burn. the air coming into the intake is swirling and turbulant. The injectors are designed to spray in a randomized mist in order to spread the fuel out as much as possible. Any organizing of the atoms would be a completely moot point.

I call shenanigans... now where's my broom...

Edited by revgolem

First of all, if all it took was a magnet for a 12% increase in MPG then manufacturers would have been building them into the vehicles for years, and especially the last few. Second, everything about the air/fuel system is designed to atomize the fuel for a faster more complete burn. the air coming into the intake is swirling and turbulant. The injectors are designed to spray in a randomized mist in order to spread the fuel out as much as possible. Any organizing of the atoms would be a completely moot point.

I call shenanigans... now where's my broom...

Long time, no hear-from senor Revgolem! Glad to see you back.

Ditto on the shenanigans

As far as the discrepancies in fuel, I used the same Shell gas station for most fillups, with only a few exceptions.

GhostPath, sorry I do not know fuel pressure as I do not have a gauge installed on my QX4.

And revgolem, as far as car manufacturers installing things like this at the factory - HAH! If this was true, our cars would all have warn locking hubs (for you 4x4's), cold air intakes, thicker intake manifold gaskets, header thermal wraps, heatshields, etc. All these things are proven to lower MPG even in todays newest cars, yet they are not installed from the factory??? Dude, best MPG is not on top of the priorities list for automakers. $$ in terms of build cost and $$ from oil/tire companies i'm sure is higher on the priorities list than better MPG at exponentially higher build cost. Even PRIUS owners accomplish better than factory MPG with simple heatshields. One would think that the Prius was designed for max MPG already.

Anyways, i'm just saying the product works, I can't believe it either but I suggest anyone to try it and post the results

I'll supply the magnet for the test, i'll let you guys pick the next tester. Someone reputable. It doesn't get any more real than that, we'll see if i'm crazy or not.

Edited by FUELER

Hell, if you're willing to ship it up to Harrisburg, PA...

I fill up at Costco 100% of the time, have similar driving habits every week... only bad thing is my fuel gauge doesn't read right, BUT I normally get about 300 miles per tank and have two gallons to spare.

I read up on this a couple of years ago after seeing an ad in a magazine. The info I found said that it works by breaking up clusters of carbon molecules by having the negative polls repelling from two neodymium magnets. Not willing to pay the simply outrageous price of $150 for readily available magnets in a molded plastic box. I went on ebay and bought a set of the neodymium magnets. When they came in my wife could barely get them out of the mailbox because they're so strong. I found the negative side of the magnets and with a good bit of effort taped them onto the inbound fuel line so they repel each other thru the line.

After a few months I didn't see any results.

I do however swear by acetone.(I don't care what the dipsh!ts on mythbusters say) I only use acetone on long trips and see between 75-100 gallons per tank in improvements.

Fueler,

Did you feel the magnets repelling each other when you installed it. or did it snap together like they were attracting each other?

The magnets snap together. They are strough enough to hurt yourself if youre not careful.

Kittamaru, i'd love to send you the magnet but i'd feel more comfortable sending to someone who has been on the board longer.

Trailchaser - want to be the next tester? Or Ghostpath??

And revgolem, as far as car manufacturers installing things like this at the factory - HAH! If this was true, our cars would all have warn locking hubs (for you 4x4's),

- Marketing decision, the great majority of 4wd buyers prefer convenience of automatic locking hubs.

cold air intakes

- Most cars do, but it adds packaging challenges and cost. If you're referring to ricer style cone filters, those do not come stock as they will not meet noise emissions and gauze filtering media doesn't filter well enough to protect engine.

thicker intake manifold gaskets

- Why would you want that?

header thermal wraps

- Wrapping leads to major corrosion headaches and failures.

heatshields, etc.

- All have some. Cost/benefit decision - usually driven by marketings' cost target.

All these things are proven to lower MPG even in todays newest cars,

Unfortunately, at some cost deemed not acceptable

yet they are not installed from the factory??? Dude, best MPG is not on top of the priorities list for automakers. $$ in terms of build cost and $$ from oil/tire companies i'm sure is higher on the priorities list than better MPG at exponentially higher build cost. Even PRIUS owners accomplish better than factory MPG with simple heatshields. One would think that the Prius was designed for max MPG already.

- Nope. Only for the best given the engineering time allowed and cost targets.

Anyways, i'm just saying the product works, I can't believe it either but I suggest anyone to try it and post the results

I'll supply the magnet for the test, i'll let you guys pick the next tester. Someone reputable. It doesn't get any more real than that, we'll see if i'm crazy or not.

Would you dare send it to an engineer trained in objective data collection and analysis? I'm even capable of conducting blind tests.

The one challenge I can't compensate for is the gasoline. As with all Californians, my fuel has oxygenates added. And depending on the type and %, it can affect fuel economy by well over 10%. And I have yet to find a way to know exactly what I'm getting....

Edited by mws

*chuckles* Fueler, I understand your fear of me taking it and running, but you honestly don't have to worry - I won't so much as let my fiance' buy me dinner without making sure I pay her back some way or another :)

Would you dare send it to an engineer trained in objective data collection and analysis? I'm even capable of conducting blind tests.

The one challenge I can't compensate for is the gasoline. As with all Californians, my fuel has oxygenates added. And depending on the type and %, it can affect fuel economy by well over 10%. And I have yet to find a way to know exactly what I'm getting....

Whats your address - ill send it to you.

As far as the intake manifold gaskets, a thicker, insulated one prevents the intake manifold from getting as hot as the rest of the engine.

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html (its been proven by outside sources to gain MPg and HP)

tempgraph.gif

Whats your address - ill send it to you.

As far as the intake manifold gaskets, a thicker, insulated one prevents the intake manifold from getting as hot as the rest of the engine.

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html (its been proven by outside sources to gain MPg and HP)

tempgraph.gif

I have a... some waterfront... a property in Baker, you want???

If you are going to send it to another member for testing, mws would be a perfect candidate. My speedo/odometer has been broken since I did the tranny swap.

I agree. If anyone's going to give us the right data to either support, or deny these claims, (no offense intended Fueler) I'd say Martin would be our guy.

I hereby officially volunteer to be tester! It's a lot of work to keep the experiment "clean" and meaningful, but I kinda like this stuff.... I've been called "Jamie" (nod to Mythbusters) more than once, and consider it a compliment....

I will test on multiple vehicles, and try to keep data as objective as possible. I will be rotating between several of our fleet. Data is meaningful only if it is repeatable, so it will be on for a while, off for a while, repeat.

1) My pathy.

2) My wife's BMW 318is. This will be a blind test - she will never know if it is on or off the vehicle.

3) Big Red - the F-350 dually 460 gasser we use for towing toys and trailers. We will be doing some several hundred mile trips this spring and summer, so this thing will reveal any improvement quickly!

4) The Max - 2000 Maxima we use for long road trips. Planning a couple to Portland this spring and summer.

5) I hope to be able to fit onto uber-couch, our BMW R1200RT motorcycle. It has an onboard computer that can calculate instantaneous fuel consumption, as well as cruise control to minimize unintentional speed variations.

I will PM you my address.

We will be leaving for Vegas on the uber-couch on March 28, so if you could get it to me by then, I will do my best to get it on there. Once we get over the sierras and hit flat roads, I will run with it on for 100 miles, then off for 100 miles - both on the same tank of gas so gas quality is eliminated from equation. Repeating as often as possible. I will also filter out any data from mountain roads and city riding, as that skews data to the negative. I can reset the MPG calculator any time I want.

tempgraph.gif

so if it's that easy, wouldnt we all have inch thick gaskets? thing is the thicker they are the more prone they are to failing. sure these things may work, but that doesnt mean they are good for the engine. it's a matter of give and take and it all depends on what it is you really want out of your rig.