Misc Winch Questions

I'm considering ordering a winch from Kennesaw Mountain Accessories sometime this spring/summer. - http://www.kenmtnac.com/WinPat9904.html

I'm going to get just a plain simple version from them. Winch Mount, Fairlead, Dock Bumpers, and Left and Right D Shackles (about $600)

I'm curious if a winch bumper is a bad decision for my daily driver? I'm wondering how much the weight will affect everything overall (hwy and off road driving, won't the truck be really front heavy?) I have the stock brush guard now, does anybody know what that weighs compared to a winch bumper? Will my fuel economy go down significantly?

Also I don't know anything about winches, which should I get for this situation? And in terms of winch, how long do they last, I've been warned about winch line roting and other weather damage from being exposed to the elements up front. And does anyone think I'll have any issues matching the bumper to my AC skid plates?

Thanks

Edited by BlackBeautyPathy

a winch bumper, without the winch in it, makes 0 difference. I've got a 3" suspension lift, and a 3" body lift but stock torsion bars, with an ARB on the front. I've yet to install a winch, and will have to reserve comment on handling differences with that variable until I do install one.

I would assume same reason people install lifts. Alot of people do not know much of anything about suspensions but still lift their trucks. I have only used a winch once but I still plan on getting one eventually. Good insurance for the trails. Gotta learn sometime. While I know it is not smart I have gone wheelin quite a few times by-myself and having a winch would just make me feel a little safer.

Wow it would be nice if KMA made the 96-99 bumpers half as nice as those.

That one would fit the 96-99. Pezzy's running a TJM for a 96-99 application on her 99.5, and it fits just fine. The only issue is the antenna tab, which had to be ground off. I would assume the only issue you'd have with fitting that bumper to an older R50 would be a slight gap in the center of the bumper near the grill.

If you know nothing about winches, why do you plan to install one?

simple, i often go with only me and my friends in my vehicle, i want to never have to worry about getting stuck, i've been pulled out with my buddy's xterra and winch the next day after getting stuck and leaving it, and i could barely sleep that whole night thinking about my pathy in the middle of nowhere

also i know you don't have snow in california, we do............ lol ps i love your pathy..... it inspired me to not sell mine about a year ago

Edited by BlackBeautyPathy

All right, then, in answer to your questions, a winch bumper and winch will add a fair amount of weight to the front end. If you don't have a lift on your truck, you should definitely get one. Also get the KYB GR2 struts, which help reduce the amount of front-end bouncing when you go over bumps.

Fuel economy will go down slightly, due to both the added weight of the bumper and winch and the change in aerodynamics around the front end. Your brush guard probably weighs around 50 lbs, while the winch bumper is probably around 100 lbs, and the winch will be around 70 lbs. If you use synthetic winch rope and a billet aluminum hawse fairlead, you can reduce the winch weight a little (20-25lbs.)

PS. We do have snow in California, but I can choose whether or not I want to be in it. It's about a 4-hour drive away from where I live. I choose not to go wheeling in snow much these days, because driving 4 hours to experience 15 minutes of wheeling for every 45 minutes of winching in cold, wet snow gets old really fast . ;)

Edited by XPLORx4

A winch bumper is not a horrible idea for a daily driver (looks cool). It does add more frontal impact protection. I do not know the weight of the kennesaw but it looks rediculosly heavy. I had a 9000lbs. whinch on the front of my Landcruiser for years. Never once used it to recover my own truck. Just other people wheeling past their ability. If that infuences your decision about a winch?

Wow it would be nice if KMA made the 96-99 bumpers half as nice as those.

http://www.kenmtnac.com/WinPat9699.html

They do...i really like that look...how much of a difference will installing one of these make for engine temp since now the only place the fan is pulling air from is in front of the grill? Im considering this since i need to replace my bumper anyway after an accident.

That one would fit the 96-99. Pezzy's running a TJM for a 96-99 application on her 99.5, and it fits just fine. The only issue is the antenna tab, which had to be ground off. I would assume the only issue you'd have with fitting that bumper to an older R50 would be a slight gap in the center of the bumper near the grill.

Well thanks for that...now I know what I'm saving for :)

I would also suggest a quick search both here and on Pirate 4x4 for KMA. It's always good to know what experience others have had with them before making that kind of investment. :shiftyeyes:

Definitley check out their customer service records.

http://www.kenmtnac.com/WinPat9699.html

They do...i really like that look...how much of a difference will installing one of these make for engine temp since now the only place the fan is pulling air from is in front of the grill? Im considering this since i need to replace my bumper anyway after an accident.

To each his own, I suppose. ;)

Well thanks for that...now I know what I'm saving for :)

Definitley check out their customer service records.

To each his own, I suppose. ;)

I don't see much difference between the two, they put the lights on it like the newer one if u ask for it...It might be more economical for me just to get a new bumper and install the grill guard and KC's i have sitting in my garage then to buy a winch mount bumper when Ill never put a winch on it...nice day dream though

I don't see much difference between the two, they put the lights on it like the newer one if u ask for it...It might be more economical for me just to get a new bumper and install the grill guard and KC's i have sitting in my garage then to buy a winch mount bumper when Ill never put a winch on it...nice day dream though

From my experience, I would definitly go with an armored bumper. Then again, I fixed my busted front end myself.

The fan will still be pulling air from inside the bumper which will pull air from around the bumper. dont worry about overheating or anything. As long as theres a passage for air to get in somewhere you're fine. Especially if you have the stock mechanical fan and have a good mixture of coolant/water.

From my experience, I would definitly go with an armored bumper. Then again, I fixed my busted front end myself.

There is no fixing mine, its only replacing, the plastic has cracked in a couple spots and the dents are small in area but pretty deep, not large ones that can be pressed out or anything

Didn't realize there was a difference. I replaced my front end. Bumper, filler, valance, hood, headlight, and corners were replaced and I banged out the dents in my hood. I would have just had to replace the headlight, corners, and grill and I would have had a badass bumper instead of a stock valance, filler, and bumper.