Preparing to change timing belt/water pump

NaturaTek

Before someone says use 'search', I already have. I found the HowTo for timing belt only for a 96 pathy. I'm thinking theres not too much difference from my 1990 pathfinder. On a side note, the search function on invision board kinda sucks. Gives me pages of search results all mixed up, and I tried diff search variations.

I have this freaking timingbelt and waterpump sitting here for almost 2 months, damn cousin is beating around the bush to get my stuff done. All the computer service calls I've done thru the years and this is the service I get, lol. I got his pc at the shop so I'm gonna use that as leverage to get the ball rolling. ;)

I was going to attempt to do myself but for a first time I'd rather let a experienced person do it and watch. Are there any specific howTos on belt/pump for a 90 path?? Reading the howto on the 96path, theres a few tips not to pull up to hard so not to break the ac line. I'm keeping the tips in my head to advise my cousin for potential problems.

Is there anything else to check or do in the process of changing belt/pump? Out of the other howto, I have check other belts, check 'tensioner'?

Is it necessary to remove radiator for this job?

I was checking some of those guys under automotive services on craigslist to see how much they would charge to do the job, most said they will check the book and get back to me, but roughly said around 250$ to do the job. Does that sound about right? Hate to go over my cousin, but I gotta get my stuff done, my pathy is my baby. At the same time, I don't think I go with any of those people as I know NOTHING of their work/etc. Might just F up my pathy.

Anyone has any tidbits of tips, pointers or whatever, please throw em at me, I will keep to tell person doing the job.

NT

I guess you could do it with the radiator in place, but the hell with that :lol:

All you have to do is be methodical :aok:

Take your time. Oh and good time to replace cam seals if they are leaking too :D

As far as i can tell the only difference between the VG30 and VG33 (that you'll see) is the oil pump, water pump and belt teeth...maybe front pulley :D

Good luck :beer:

there is also a little coolant hose coming off the t-stat it's around $10 for the part and you might as well replace that while you have everything opened up. Both my cam seals were leaking on my truck when i had the t-belt done so get a couple of them and if you don't need them you can always return or sell them on here.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Since you or your cousin is already going to be in there I would change the t-belt, t-belt tensioner, water pump, coolant bypass hose, cam and crank seals (if they are leaking), thermostat and your drive belts. And yes you should take out the radiator. And while your radiator is out you might as well clean it out and clean the fins then replace your hoses and drive belts. I did all of that with the exception of the tensioner and the cam seals and I also changed my plugs too. That way it is all done and you know you done alot as far as maintenance.

I live in NW Ohio and recently took my Pathy to get all of this fun stuff fixed. I had a leaky w/p so they replaced it. Also replaced timing belt, hoses, t-stat, cam and crank seals, belts, etc. It cost me $275.00 w/ tax for labor and $125.00 for parts. I thought that was fair. It took 'em a day...prolly woulda taken me 2.

I live in NW Ohio and recently took my Pathy to get all of this fun stuff fixed. I had a leaky w/p so they replaced it. Also replaced timing belt, hoses, t-stat, cam and crank seals, belts, etc. It cost me $275.00 w/ tax for labor and $125.00 for parts. I thought that was fair. It took 'em a day...prolly woulda taken me 2.

Sounds like a good price for all that. I was looking under 'automotive services' at craigslist, thinking you can find a mechanic with fairly decent price. Few told me $350-375, one guy told me about 250 but he get back to me. He did, then told me $450. And they all sound shady over the phone. Keep in mind this was quotes for just pump/belt, I told them I had parts already. Just wanted to see what are prices are out there. I know nothing of their work or anything. Might just fskc my ride up and/or try to hit me up for a few extra hundred, lol.

• 1 year later...

my ODO turned over to 199000kms last night. sticker under the hood says the last timing belt was changed at 112000kms.

should i change my belt now or wait a few more kms? :unsure:

there is also a little coolant hose coming off the t-stat it's around $10 for the part and you might as well replace that while you have everything opened up. Both my cam seals were leaking on my truck when i had the t-belt done so get a couple of them and if you don't need them you can always return or sell them on here.

x2 on this. When I did my timing belt and water pump, thermostat, cam seals and Crankshaft seals, I didn't replace that hose. Ended up having to tear it all back down again just to get at it. save yourself the hassle and take care of that too.

I wouldn't have anyone work on your truck that you don't know, trust or have any recourse with.

Like everyone said, the job isn't that hard but having some time , tools and a good place to work on it makes a lot of difference...

my ODO turned over to 199000kms last night. sticker under the hood says the last timing belt was changed at 112000kms.

should i change my belt now or wait a few more kms? :unsure:

The 90-93 recommended belt change interval is every 55k miles (or is it 60k) or every 4 years (which no one does). You have put 54k miles since the last belt, so either save some $ or set aside some time. This is one thing there is no benefit to postponing!!

B

When I did mine I did:

T-belt

Water Pump

T-belt tensioner

By-pass hose

Thermostat

Drive Belts

All Rad Hoses

Oh, and be sure to tighten your crank bolt tight! I didn't and it cost me $600 in repairs to my crankshaft later :)

-Mike