Interesting development with my truck

Kittamaru

My back end is now able to sway, side to side, almost 2 inches either way (total 4 inches movement)...

I'm assuming my anti-sway bar broke / broke free?

Is this a problem?

It makes cornering at any speed over 10 mph feel... loose.

Comments?

Edited by Kittamaru

STOP DRIVING IT NOW!!!

Sorry, but for your safety and everyone around you you need to do that! Then look at the frame rails from the side (above the rear tires) and crawl under the truck and take a very good look around, find and correct the problem before you drive the truck again.

Sorry but, the anti-sway being bad won't help or hurt that situation. I have no sway, and I have no movement like that. It's either the trailing arm bushings, pan hard or it's bushings, or frame failure.

Yeah, "anti-sway" is really a misnomer. It's really an "anti-roll" bar; it keeps the car from leaning or rolling the body to the outside of a turn and thus transfers "weight" to help keep the car from rolling over.

The primary control mechanism for sway in the back is the panhard bar, the thing attached to the axle that runs parallel to it, and is connected to the frame at the other end. However, as others have pointed out, if your frame is shot due to rust (common problem in your area), this will no longer work and you have other, more serious problems. Such as needing to either have the frame repaired or needing to find another truck or frame.

If your frame is OK, check the panhard bar, then check the bushings on all four trailing arms. These are the four bars that run parallel to the frame that attach to the frame and the axle. Also, check for bodged welding of studs and fastening points for everything on the rear axle.

The frame is intact, I've already made sure of that - was the first thing I checked. Got under there with a lamp and checked it out... cause that was my first concern.

I tested it again today. It only moved about 4 inches total again. Looking at my first post I mistyped that. It can move about 4 inches total side to side, maybe less. I appologize for the misinformation ( it was a bit late at night so I wasn't really with it ) but yeah, i guess it's a non worry then :D

I'll lookup info on the panhard bar and the brushings on the trailing arms, then attempt to check them myself :)

As for the other comments:

This I guess has been happening over time... though it's gotten progressively worse quite quickly with the lack of good torsion bars (I still haven't had the chance to re-index them... damned weather and I can't fit the truck in the garage thanks to our dog's crates... parents... heh...). Could that be contributing?

I have a sagging tbar in the front right, and 220,000 kms on my 95, and it seems to be pretty tight, or at least better than I expected a wd21 to handle (my first time driving one on the road in 3 years)

Well, what I'm wondering is:

My t-bars are both sagging terribly (max torque and they still don't give me the proper ride height... need to reindex them as soon as the weather permits)

My suspension and shocks are an aftermarket setup that A) Isnt' gas adjust and B) isn't really the right set... it was the best fit at the time... my mechanic filled me in on it but I wasn't, and still am not, able to buy actual nissan parts. They'll do the job... just... yeah.

so Couple those two together and I sit low... plus now the wiggle *shrugs*

I think once I get the t-bars reindexed (or I may just order new ones... not sure...) and have a new alignment done, plus get the new, correct shocks and springs, things should be much better.

*shrugs* time will tell :D

I checked the frame, and it looks solid. Barely even any rust patches on it, and those are more towards the front end. I don't know about the control arms and brushings, but they checked out as good last time I had it in the garage (a few weeks ago).

I'll have it go in if the problem doesn't go away once the new shocks are on. I don't know if I just never noticed it before or what... it seems the more I drive the truck the more I notice about how it drives and feels. *shrugs* Could it just be I'm simply getting more used to it?

Get someone to look underneath at the lower control arm bushings (were they mount to the frame) as you put presure on them (brakes on and drive, reverse and a little gas) and I'm willing to bet my lunch money you'll see your bushings are gone.

My tires are properly inflated - i check that at least once a week and have nitrogen inflation (because it was free :P)

My truck does clunk a little, but nothing like what frame failure would sound like (we had an old dodge stationwagon where the left side of the frame, literally, pulled in two. That sounded... like hell.) That and, like I said, I'm 99.99% sure my frame is intact. Other than taking the body off the frame, I've checked it and my mechanic has checked it very thoroughly.

As for the control arm brushings... that may very well be it. How will we know if they're gone? Will they move a certain way / at all?

The original control arm bushings were made of rubber, so there was a little bit of movement. But there should be minimal movement. If you see anything over 1/2" of movement back to front you would be safe to say they are toast. My guess by the way you describe your sway, you will see closer to 1 or 1 & 1/2" travel. If you can see inside the mount, you might even see the rubber seperated from the metal and if they are bad enough, you will be able to move them up and down by hand.

I'm talking side to side... like if I stand by the left side of the truck, and press on it, it moves a little bit. If I press really hard, it moves almost two inches or so.

I'm talking side to side... like if I stand by the left side of the truck, and press on it, it moves a little bit. If I press really hard, it moves almost two inches or so.

Does it move back when you let go? If so, it is probably all tire sidewall movement.

Nitrogen in the tires is pretty much just a myth as far as being beneficial....most places you have to pay extra to have your tires inflated with it which to me is just plain silly. Whatever minor benefits it may offer at all, aren't really worth all the trouble it getting any in the first place.

Nitrogen in the tires is pretty much just a myth as far as being beneficial....most places you have to pay extra to have your tires inflated with it which to me is just plain silly. Whatever minor benefits it may offer at all, aren't really worth all the trouble it getting any in the first place.

It was free *shrugs* the place I go to does Nitrogen inflation free of charge :)

It was free *shrugs* the place I go to does Nitrogen inflation free of charge :)

well thats a good thing then, because I have seen on the news where some places will charge you for wanting your tires filled with nitrogen, "cause its that much better and well worth it" ...and yes it was a show about common rip off practices that some business do to unknowing customers.

Free would be a good honest way to go.

Regular compressed air is mostly nitrogen anyway ;)

Air Composition

The sea-level composition of air (in percent by volume at the temperature of 15°C and the pressure of 101325 Pa) is given below.

Name Symbol Percent by Volume

Nitrogen N2 78.084 %

Oxygen O2 20.9476 %

Argon Ar 0.934 %

Carbon Dioxide CO2 0.0314 %

Neon Ne 0.001818 %

Methane CH4 0.0002 %

Helium He 0.000524 %

Krypton Kr 0.000114 %

Hydrogen H2 0.00005 %

Xenon Xe 0.0000087 %