It is working well indeed.

Vsicks Pathy

Yeah, I think the definition of " semi-auto" needs to be clarified. Any weapon that does not need to be cocked between rounds is semi-auto. That also includes revolvers. Many people carry sidearms for self defense against animals. Stumble upon a rattlesnake of wild boar and you'd wish you had a .45 on you.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell do you need an ak47 for?

Killing People... I will agree that Assault type weapons (AK-47, AR-15/16) are not needed in the civilian world... Banning my Remington 1100 (im lazy) would find you quickly at the business end of it... If you can qualify for and afford a Federal Firearms License, you can purchase fully automatic weapons.

Yeah, I think the definition of " semi-auto" needs to be clarified. Any weapon that does not need to be cocked between rounds is semi-auto. That also includes revolvers. Many people carry sidearms for self defense against animals. Stumble upon a rattlesnake of wild boar and you'd wish you had a .45 on you.

Correct. Semi auto is a weapon that loads the next round.

How many wild boars traverse suburbia over there?

Me 3

I can buy the NO auto. However, semi auto will never fly. a duel action revolver is a "semi auto"

many shotguns are semi auto.

What the hell do you need an ak47 for?

I am sorry to hear that you guys think I am saying ban all guns. As stated I have only said gun control was needed.

I assumed that you had seen the gun control thread and know my position. Here it is again for those that missed it. The ighlight section is of most interest.

Ok, off the top of your head... What would be used to kill up to.... say, 30 people in one sitting because you lost your temper?

As far as illegal guns go.. how many do you think are out there? I would surmise that there is around one illegal weapon for every legal one. Does that sound about right?

As I said earlier, I don't have an opinion either way on this issue, more so because I don't like people losing their rights. For this reason I am neither for or against the notion of gun control. But I am saying that gun control works as a matter of fact. Why? Because it worked here and has worked in other countries too.

You guys live in fear of being shot, and because of that very reason you need a gun to protect yourselves. If no one can see an endless cycle with that reasoning, then, IMO, they are blind. It is fear that compels you to arm yourself. Just look at the replies and that becomes obvious. I have never know such fear. Even before we had gun control, that fear was never there. We still have guns here. I could apply to the correct authorities and get a gun license after all mandatory checks are completed. We just don't have guns that are capable of killing en mass anymore. Sure, the criminals still have them..... So what! They spend most of the time killing each other with them. Even that is becoming rearer here too.

At the end of the day, looking at alternatives is better than doing nothing at all, which is what you guys have been doing.

Surely after another shooting you guys ask yourselves.. Again? Why? How? Why don't you ask how to stop it from happening in the first place?

Yeah, I'm gonna waste lead on a snake :rolleyes: , I'd just do what I did as a kid, beat it with a rock or other object.

If guns kill people...

then PENCILS misspell words

then COMPUTERS delete my homework

then COPS cause you to get speeding tickets

then KNIVES, Medications, Cars, and other various instruments cause suicide

You see where I'm goin' with this?

Good.

Video games don't make NORMAL people violent... guns don't kill people... action movies don't give you super martial arts powers...

GOOD CALL!!!

Personally, I think that if you start banning one kind of firearm, the rest will soon follow. So theoretically, the government bans "assault rifles". OK, whats next? Handguns? Alcohol? Sharpened sticks? I own an AR15 and haven't managed to kill anyone yet. It's sole purpose is target shooting at Camp Perry and coyote thinning. Coyotes have become a problem with killing small pets in my area. I've been brought up by my father who is a very responsible gun owner, not some kind of militia nutcase. I've never felt the need to kill or maim anyone with one of my firearms. I don't hunt either. BUT, If someone feels the need to break and enter my home and refuses to halt or leave after being warned, the situation will be handled. When a handgun is sold, there is a backgroung check done. A psychiatric evaluation cannot be done. The simple fact is, people who are mass shooters and murderers aren't all there mentally. So for every new or used car that is sold, does the dealership do a check of some sort to see if the driver is an alcoholic? He just may kill an innocent person with the car he just bought. It's not the gun's fault...It's the unstable person behind it. It's not the cars fault...It's the drunk person behind the wheel. Thanks for reading my rant. ~Austin~

Agreed. Vsix, how much of the US do you think is suburbia? Not to sound like a jerk, but do have any idea how big the US is? There is a LOT of undeveloped land, and you DO sometimes stumble across animals that can do you harm if you don't do them harm first. It's a real pain to haul around a long rifle. That would be the only reason I would carry a sidearm. Any other time, they're more hassle than they're worth. Anyway, I understand your point. There are already a lot of regulations in place for the LEGAL purchase of handguns. It's long rifles that should be controlled a little more tightly in my opinion. Vsix, I must appologize in advance to you, because I too can come across as a little abrassive, and mostly I do not intend too. And I think we need a little more people control to go with our gun control and start holding people (parents) accountable, and stop letting the lawers get people off. (that sounded dirty)

Oh, and we have quite a few Coyote here in suburbia

Parents!!!! Oh don't get me started on the parents whom they OR their child never is at fault. Always the teachers or video games or movies or the medias fault somehow. Idiots who don't know how to discipline or lock up a gun!!!!

^Damn, thats a big BOOM!!!

Is that the WW2 German rail road gun? Gustav, nah, must be Soviet... Damn copycats. The M44 made Kalishnakov design the AK... :shrug:

Yeah, I think the definition of " semi-auto" needs to be clarified. Any weapon that does not need to be cocked between rounds is semi-auto.

Semi-auto is any gun that requires an additional pulling of the trigger to fire the next round; the next bullet is AUTOMATICALLY loaded into the firing chamber due to cycling of the action.(auto loading, not auto firing).

A revolver is not semi-auto because pulling the trigger after 1 shot MANUALLY rotates the cylinder. This is key; MANUAL, not automatic loading.

Revolvers are generally considered too low capacity and too slow to load as opposed to pistols. I love my 8 round .357 with 1/2 moon clips!!! (changes the game a bit).

Lever, pump and bolt action hand and long arms are also NOT automatics.

B

Agreed. Vsix, how much of the US do you think is suburbia? Not to sound like a jerk, but do have any idea how big the US is? There is a LOT of undeveloped land, and you DO sometimes stumble across animals that can do you harm if you don't do them harm first. It's a real pain to haul around a long rifle. That would be the only reason I would carry a sidearm. Any other time, they're more hassle than they're worth. Anyway, I understand your point. There are already a lot of regulations in place for the LEGAL purchase of handguns. It's long rifles that should be controlled a little more tightly in my opinion. Vsix, I must appologize in advance to you, because I too can come across as a little abrassive, and mostly I do not intend too. And I think we need a little more people control to go with our gun control and start holding people (parents) accountable, and stop letting the lawers get people off. (that sounded dirty)

Oh, and we have quite a few Coyote here in suburbia

Not including Alaska or Hawaii, from memory, I think the USA is just a tad smaller than Australia. It could be the other way round? I will find out later.... but I bet you didn't know it was such a close call, re: land mass.

Lets take into account that Australia only has 20,000,000 people and the most deadly creatures on the planet. If virgin land and the size of the country are the discerning factors for automatic or semi automatic weapons, then perhaps we really need them here but don't know it yet.

You have nothing to apologise for either. :itsallgood:

Personally, I think that if you start banning one kind of firearm, the rest will soon follow. So theoretically, the government bans "assault rifles". OK, whats next? Handguns? Alcohol? Sharpened sticks?

If you could give an example of your fear actually happening somewhere, that'd be good.

Don't use Australia for your example though, because nothing like you have predicted has even been spoken about, nine or ten years after gun control, let alone implemented.

Ok V6, I can't see the word fear or even Australia in any of ardavis' posts . He's merely trying to survive in a society gone mad! If guns are the way then so be it!

If anyone else does not detect this rock spinning out of control, let me know.

Maybe we can give your head a shake!!!

You're taking V6's words too literally there daftpup. By "fear" he was referring to Ar's idea that banning one kind of firearm will lead to a ban of all types.

I'm only 29, but in my short time on this planet, I've realized how many of our freedoms are being taken away. This really isn't even about guns totally. It's about things like motorcycle helmet laws and seatbelt laws. I live in Ohio. No helmet law. But Michigan has one. In all of the states you have to wear a seatbelt(I think). I understand that helmets and seatbelts save lives....a lot of lives each year and normally i wear them both. But the lawmakers and a-hole politicians think they have to save our lives and guide us through life like we are morons. They really don't care. It's all about the almighty dollar. Revenue. Easy money from fines. But thats their way of sugar coating it for us so they look like caring people. Seat belt laws are stupid. Do any of you realize how many kids each day ride school busses without seatbelts...for hours at a time. But that's different though....RIGHT?!?!?! If you don't want to wear a helmet or seatbelt...no one should force you. It's totally your decision on how safe you want to be. All of this nit-picking, little by little, will come to a head some day. Lemme hear a reaction. Ok ....aaaannnd I'm spent!!!!

Vsicks, I understand that the US and Australia a similar in land mass, and that you have the most deadly critters, but wouldn't you want to be prepared if you came across something nasty if you were walking through the bush? But hey, I get where you're coming from. But I think there should be more people control. I think we outnumber you guys by a fair bit, thus there being a larger number of morons per capita. It's these people that ruin it for everybody. And our media is a little out of control. Sensationalism is there game and everybody buys into it. And sorry if I respond badly sometimes, you DO make unfair generalizations about Americans and portray us all as moronic gun toting criminals. There are a large number of us that are law abiding, good people that also own firearms.

you DO make unfair generalizations about Americans and portray us all as moronic gun toting criminals.

I got a bit of a chuckle with this.

All I put up in reality is a story, one that the press puts up, I just post it here. What part of what I out forward gives you the impression that I portray all Americans in that vein?

Is it the way I reply to what has been said here perhaps?

Read this very carefully....

I'm only 29, but in my short time on this planet, I've realized how many of our freedoms are being taken away. This really isn't even about guns totally. It's about things like motorcycle helmet laws and seatbelt laws. I live in Ohio. No helmet law. But Michigan has one. In all of the states you have to wear a seatbelt(I think). I understand that helmets and seatbelts save lives....a lot of lives each year and normally i wear them both. But the lawmakers and a-hole politicians think they have to save our lives and guide us through life like we are morons. They really don't care. It's all about the almighty dollar. Revenue. Easy money from fines. But thats their way of sugar coating it for us so they look like caring people. Seat belt laws are stupid. Do any of you realize how many kids each day ride school busses without seatbelts...for hours at a time. But that's different though....RIGHT?!?!?! If you don't want to wear a helmet or seatbelt...no one should force you. It's totally your decision on how safe you want to be. All of this nit-picking, little by little, will come to a head some day. Lemme hear a reaction. Ok ....aaaannnd I'm spent!!!!

He is correct about laws, laws are to protect us from ourselves. Yes, we are morons, we inherently do stupid things, hence the need for laws. And even with the laws in place, we still do the moronic thing and break them, don't we? He is correct again, that the laws do work and save lives. He then goes on to say that the seat belt laws are stupid? Make up your mind, the law can't save lives and be stupid at the same time. Then he uses the analogy of kids on a 20 tone bus not wearing seat belts to justify the argument of the stupid law. Ever seen a bus that has rolled? And how many kids actually die in school buses each year btw?

Though I do not agree with "all" laws myself, is anyone seriously suggesting that drink driving is OK? Is anyone suggesting that speed limits should be removed. Could you imagine trying to get from one side of town to the other without the laws and controls in place? I hate red lights as much as the next guy, and I do love to have a few coldies before I hit the road. But the laws say I can not run a red light, why? I could very possibly kill someone. The red light is there in the first place for that very reason! And a few drinks are fine but too much.....well, the law says I can not drive if I am drunk. Why? For the very same reason as before.

Yes, even here we have what can only be described as revenue collection. Soft and pathetic laws or regulations that are designed to bleed you dry. These laws are obvious for what they are and have nothing to do with preventing deaths. Just try to comply is the only advice I have for that.

is anyone seriously suggesting that drink driving is OK? Is anyone suggesting that speed limits should be removed.

ok, i do... drinking and driving used to be legal here.. i miss those days... drunk driving however, was never legal and i am ok with that..

as to speed limits, yeah i hate them and don't think there should be any outside of towns.. the ones in towns, oh highways anyway, are ridiculously slow.. hell in the morning they give average speeds with traffic reports and they are 10-15-20 mph or more over the posted limits.. what's the point of having them then? highways are designed with speeds in mind.. why not make the design standards dictate the speed? the real limits are always way below the deisgn speed.

i also am against any kind of seat belt or helmet laws. i think it should be upto an individual... until the july of this year i didn't have to wear a seatbelt. not wearing one has saved my life in a major wreck.. not the other way around. i don't think the gov should tell me i have to wear something because it will save my life while the government wages wars and kills people.

ok, i do... drinking and driving used to be legal here.. i miss those days... drunk driving however, was never legal and i am ok with that..

as to speed limits, yeah i hate them and don't think there should be any outside of towns.. the ones in towns, oh highways anyway, are ridiculously slow.. hell in the morning they give average speeds with traffic reports and they are 10-15-20 mph or more over the posted limits.. what's the point of having them then? highways are designed with speeds in mind.. why not make the design standards dictate the speed? the real limits are always way below the deisgn speed.

i also am against any kind of seat belt or helmet laws. i think it should be upto an individual... until the july of this year i didn't have to wear a seatbelt. not wearing one has saved my life in a major wreck.. not the other way around. i don't think the gov should tell me i have to wear something because it will save my life while the government wages wars and kills people.

I think seat belts are uncomfortable myself, and helmets.... they muffle sound and obscure your view too. They do however save lives. I wonder if a race car driver would get into his or her machine without them on?

I wonder if a race car driver would get into his or her machine without them on?

i bet you could find one out there that wouldn't strap it on.. some people are invincible. :D

regardless if they save lives or not.. why does the goverenment even bother with legislating such small issues... we have enomic, social issues.. we have war.. i say, let's deal with that and let me take the risks if i want to, ok?

I think seat belts are uncomfortable myself, and helmets.... they muffle sound and obscure your view too. They do however save lives. I wonder if a race car driver would get into his or her machine without them on?

I'm sure a few would if they had the option, especially Nascar drivers......