1995 Pathy Speaker idea

Xmas

Hey guys,

I am not sure if this will help, but I been thinking of ways to not cut the metal on the doors or ceiling from the OEM speaker mounts. Since their is NO 5x7s that truly FIT on our PATHYs without cutting or any modifications. Which I hate to cut steel off my vehicles.

So what I decided to do was get some MDF wood that is about .25” thick , which is very strong and use it to shape the OEM 5x7 speakers.

I decided to do this and then install smaller speakers to my Pathy.

I’ll let the pictures do the justice. I am sure you’ll see what I did.

Anyways, the Pathy sounds nice. My CD-player is a Pioneer, nothing fancy.

Once again, I felt like 18 again doing this project, but it was fun pulling out the old jig-saw and does some speaker mount cutting. ;)

This was the 1st stop (continued)

P1020686.jpg

The cut-

P1020688.jpg

P1020691.jpg

P1020694.jpg

Making sure it’ll fit in the ceiling rear speaker mount:

P1020697.jpg

Prefab-cut and new speakers waiting to get put on.

P1020698.jpg

( The speakers are Sony XPLOD 4x6 or 4x7 one of those)

Ready to JAM

P1020699.jpg

The only thing now is that the OEM speaker covers are not going to fit.

I plan to replace my headliner soon and plan to recover the speaker with a grey cloth which will hide the speakers away from view.

Thanks for looking.

Might as well just save yourself some time and get out the tinsnips IMHO. It's never going to matter to anyone but you.

I hear ya. I would of saved time, but I just wanted to take on the project and play around. The outcome came out good and I just wanted to share / contribute.

I hear ya. I would of saved time, but I just wanted to take on the project and play around. The outcome came out good and I just wanted to share / contribute.

Looks good man.

What size speakers did you use?

( The speakers are Sony XPLOD 4x6 or 4x7 one of those)

See his original post.

Looks good man. A thought though.....why not split the mounts in half, shove them up above the sheet metal, then mount the new speakers flush with where they would originally mount. That way, you'd be able to fit the grills back on.

See his original post.

You know what's funny Simon. I did go back and read the original post before I asked the question, but I must have skimmed over it too fast and didn't see the size.

I just guess I should slow down a bit and read better, huh?

Looks good man. A thought though.....why not split the mounts in half, shove them up above the sheet metal, then mount the new speakers flush with where they would originally mount. That way, you'd be able to fit the grills back on.

or trim the wood back to the contour of the speaker and attach the speaker to the board from the back side and then the board to the sheet metal...so the wood would be flush with the edge of the speaker and the grills should still fit right...

Sometimes I think I might try to use tin-snips and put some 5x7s.

I think the 4x6 that I got inside now are loud (4-ways) great treble, but it does not BASS for $hit. I wonder if the 5x7 even would be any different. I thought about putting the 6.5" also.

Best thing I say to do as for putting the grills on is to either make my own and use velcro or just break off the clips off the OEM grills and run velcro. It would work, but the OEM grills are ugly anyways. When I get some time to tinker again I will see what I decide to do.

Oh as for the speakers. I got them from Walmart for $35 and when opening the box at home, I notice they were used and were returned. lol

You can add a powered sub for bass.

I've got 2 subs for sale and 1 amp one is an mtx the other is an alpine with a frosgate amp which I had in my 87 and it was more than plenty for me...just enough to add a thump to my rock/country but no house shaker boomer music but then again I had it turned down to what I wanted b/c I hate too much bass and I was running some 8" MTX's off of it too

Edited by unccpathfinder

Waste of money and space, you can get enough bass out of a 3 way if you buy quality speakers (of course I mean for normal music, not ghetto monkey music).

If no sub is fine for you, then great. Immature to bash and completely uncalled for.

It isn't just "ghetto monkey" music that has bass in the lower frequence range. Jazz with upright bass for example has bass that reaches down in those ranges. Regardless of speaker quality, a good recording of an upright bass will distort the speaker. Slap electric bass in rock will do it too. Even some classical music will do it too.

If no sub is fine for you, then great. Immature to bash and completely uncalled for.

It isn't just "ghetto monkey" music that has bass in the lower frequence range. Jazz with upright bass for example has bass that reaches down in those ranges. Regardless of speaker quality, a good recording of an upright bass will distort the speaker. Slap electric bass in rock will do it too. Even some classical music will do it too.

No bashing, just telling the truth. But, believe whatever you want.

Hey all. I decided to return those sonys because:

1. grills don't fit over them

2. No BASS. All treble

3. Cost $40.00

--- in replacement w/o any mod or cutting, I actually found some 5x7s @ Autozone that cost 14.99 each and they are a OEM fit. The speakers are made by MERTA (I think)

^ Now- my speakers are hidden over the speaker grill, sounds good and got bass (better then the SONYs IMHO)..... oh and I save $10.00 and it was not because I switch to GEICO ;)

There is NOWHERE to fit my 6X9's (without spacers) They are just too damn deep, but you get that with 1000w's :D

Making some alloy spacers, 30mm. Going in the rear door......I miss my sounds

Where's pics of your new set up? :beer:

There is NOWHERE to fit my 6X9's (without spacers) They are just too damn deep, but you get that with 1000w's :D

Making some alloy spacers, 30mm. Going in the rear door......I miss my sounds

Where's pics of your new set up? :beer:

6x9s are not going to fit b/c the speaker holes are 5x7s. So far what I experienced that no name brand aftermarket 5x7 worked at all.

Go to AutoZone and get the one's I mention. Was a perfect fit, even the holes to flush mount the speakers to the sheet metal.

6x9s are not going to fit b/c the speaker holes are 5x7s. So far what I experienced that no name brand aftermarket 5x7 worked at all.

Go to AutoZone and get the one's I mention. Was a perfect fit, even the holes to flush mount the speakers to the sheet metal.

Psst, he has a 2dr, different rear speaker setup.

Hey all. I decided to return those sonys because:

1. grills don't fit over them

2. No BASS. All treble

3. Cost $40.00

--- in replacement w/o any mod or cutting, I actually found some 5x7s @ Autozone that cost 14.99 each and they are a OEM fit. The speakers are made by MERTA (I think)

^ Now- my speakers are hidden over the speaker grill, sounds good and got bass (better then the SONYs IMHO)..... oh and I save $10.00 and it was not because I switch to GEICO ;)

I wish I would have read this before I got started... If you want to save yourself a huge headache I would take Xmas's advice... Get ones that fit!!!

I just bought 4- 5x7 Alpines and they did not fit anywhere with out some of the most ridiculous rigging I have ever had to do for anything!

It was seriously just stupid how much cutting, bending, grinding, removing and pounding I had to do to get these damn things in!

But at the end of day... It sounds great...

On a separate note... Does anyone know if when they put in a after market stereo do they disconnect the factory tweeters?

It said on the box for my speakers that I should disconnect them but it does'nt even sound like they are working...

So thats what I'm thinking

Anyone know if thats the case?

It all depends on how it was installed. If the factory amps were bypassed, chances are the tweeters were as well. If the aftermarket headunit is running through the stock amps, then chances are they're still in the loop.

It all depends on how it was installed. If the factory amps were bypassed, chances are the tweeters were as well. If the aftermarket headunit is running through the stock amps, then chances are they're still in the loop.

Cool... I'll check it out...

Thanks Simon

Damn then my after market head unit is going through the stock amps and speakers then. Because the tweeters are working and the sound is, well, not the greatest.

I would really like to find some 5x7's made by a reputable company that will fit with no trouble, but I guess I'm almost out of luck. Time to get creative :crossedwires:

• 2 weeks later...

So no one has found any aftermarket speakers that just fit in the pathys? well im glad i read this before i blew a lot of cash on a new set.

in any case, i had two 12" subs and 1400 watts pushing them in mine, and they kicked. but you could barley even hear them outside of the truck.

are they just that well sealed/padded a vehicle?

Edited by purdyboy89