33 inch wheels

indomwe

another question from a newbie that has most likely been asked many times before , 95 pathy auto.

Can I use 33" wheels with just a 3" B/L. Installing headers and B/L this weekend and saving for a S/L. currently have 31x10.50 but want to go larger. thinking 33x13.50 on 15x10 or 15x8 rims. Need to buy tires now so wanted to do these first before S/L if it will work.

you need the SL (& BL) and then some to get those meats under there.

when you say then some are you saying that I will need more hieght or other mods?? I have looked at some of the pathys on AC 4x4 and many sem to have 33 with 3=3 lift so I was sorta hoping that I could get away with initial 3" loft then a 3" S/L later. However based on ur afdvice I need to install at least the 3' S/L and 3" B/L first. Thats a bummer cuz now I gotta buy another set of 31 tires first to get me through till i got the loot to buy the S/L and 33's. (I sorta suspected that so thanks for the advice) but I an concerned about the them some...what else do you think I will need to do

thanks

By "and then some" he means that you may have to do some trimming to the rear portion of the fender to clear 33's. That depends on width, tire make, and offset.

Mine are 285/75R16 (33x11.5) and I have some rubbing on the rear portion of the fenders when turning going over bumps.

By "and then some" he means that you may have to do some trimming to the rear portion of the fender to clear 33's. That depends on width, tire make, and offset.

Mine are 285/75R16 (33x11.5) and I have some rubbing on the rear portion of the fenders when turning going over bumps.

Thanks Simon, what offset do you think I should try for. I was thinkin 15x10 or 15x8 rims but am not aure what offset. Tires I was thinkin 33x 12.50 or 33x13.50

do you need anything else other than a better CL?

it depends to the state of two things.

1. idler arm

2. tie rod ends

if they have been there the life of the car they will probably have a little bit of play in them already. the 33's will make it worse.

check them out - put the front end of the car up on chassis stands, grab one wheel and move it back and forth & have a friend have a good look at all the joints. worn parts become real obvious quickly as there will be movement where there shouldn't be.

just a note, i learnt this the expensive way - even on 31's. if the idler arm is worn & your not going the calmini steering setup option don't waste $$ on any other aftermarket idler arm. i did this and after the first 4wd trip it was more worn than the original.... i was seriously not happy. a better option is to 'fix' the standard one. its not hard, you can get two new plastic bushes & two new seals from Nissan. the only other thing is getting the shaft hard-chromed. there should be a shop in each state, just look it up in the phone book. what they will do is a slight grind of the shaft then dip it in chrome & build it back up thicker than it was then machine it back down to the right size. this worked a treat & when coupled with a centre link that does not allow rotational movement, all your steering components will take a beating. might just add that if your going to this effort a brace for the idler arm will be worth its weight in gold. theres pics and info around on this forum about those

:beer:

Edited by sw

sorry to multi post but i thought i would add some pics for reference

hmm pic not up loading to site......

cant up date my photo page, ftp program not letting me log in, dont know why.....

Edited by sw

Methinks you want 33" tires, not 33" wheels, right? ;)

33x10.50 or 12.50 on a 15x8 with 4" backspacing. A 10" wide wheel will create more problems than it will solve. I have the 33x13.50's on 15x8.5's and the extra width/weight is simply asking for trouble with the stock steering. You can fit 33x10.50's on with only a 3" BL (I did) but you will still need to trim the fenders or those tires will self-clearance themselves and you won't like the results. :(

So if I go with a 15x8 wheel and 3.75 or 4" backspace with a 33x12.5 or 33x13.50 tire I should be ok with the B/L and S/L, provided that I do a sterring upgrade. I am now looking at the L&P centerlink kit

Don't do that. L&P has been screwing people over. There are 2 threads on this board outlining what's happened.

PM hoohaa. He makes the same centerlink as L&P....only, from my experience, and others here, he's been great to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 32x11.50s on my 91 stock. Had to remove the mudflaps and trim the back of the flares ever so slightly.

Drove it like there was no tomorrow and it survived. Would it be worth it to have less trouble to go with 32"s?

(I'd post pics but dunno how. I'm a forum illiterate computer geek.)

• 4 weeks later...

i know of someone who was tuckin 33x12.5 under a 95 pathy with the stock rims and a 4"SL but it rubbed like a SOB. he didnt recommend wheelin with them tho. after i do my 4" SL(new UCA with BJ spacers, TB, Rubicon lift coils in rear) i am going to run 33x10.5 on stock rims and should be ok after a bit of fender trimmin which is ok with me and NEW CL!!!!!! a new CL is cridical if you are goin any bigger than stock and plan on wheelin it and even so i will have pretty much an entire steering system as spares in my rig when i wheel her. hoohaa is gettin me one in a few weeks and AFTER i install that i will be upgradin my tires. till then gonna ride on the 31x10.5. and right after i get the lift, steering, tires on an alignment is necessary!!

Edited by pathmaker1

also do not offset your rims too much esp with 13.5" wide tires. you will trash your axles. i wouldnt run anything bigger than a 12.5 but would keep it safe and do b/t 10.5" and 12". if you want big wide tires with offset rims you need a lot more than a lift or else your just gonna be breakin things every trail run

Meh, I'd worry more about rubbing with wider wheels than about breaking any axles. Thing is, you don't NEED 10" wide wheels to run 12.5-13.5" wide tires. The greater offset CAN make it harder on BJ's, UCA and LCA bushings, tension rod bushings, etc, but the axles themselves don't have much to do with wheel/tire width.

i agree with aaron (88) ^^^^

33x13.5 is a WIDE ass tire. i should know, i run 33x12.5x15 on 15x10 rims....... i have a 4" SL & 3" BL and lemme tell yah. my meats RUB THE SNOT out of the front fender (the rear part) when i go wheelin or bounce up a driveway.... my fender flares cover the damage to the actual fender..... but it's annoying and not good for my tires. i have 4" BS on the rims.