School me: Shocks

Xmas

I used these for my Pathfinder..... Its a good deal... you can get the 9000's for under $200 for the set also....

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT5410.aspx

Yea I was looking at these pro comps, but the ES9000.

I might just do a 3" BL and not mess w/ the oem suspension itself. So this maybe overkill??

I wonder even if the ES1000 are any good, but I bet gas shock would be better.

Also another shock I was looking at was the Monroe Sensa-Trac's

If you will NEVER take the truck off road...the Sensa-Trac's are fine. I had them on my old truck for a short time. The first time I took it off road, they were finished. No damping whatsoever....

Keep that in mind.

And you told me to buy them???? :tonguefinger:

I don't remember telling you that. And if I did, it was because you were bitching about having no money. They're cheap. Not to mention, your truck isn't exactly "trail ready" so shocks are the least of your worries. :stickwack:

BLouis - I do believe the ES3000 are VERY comparable to the Rancho RS5000 series. Makes sense that they were stiff at first.

The ProComp ES3000 and Rancho RS5000 are the same shock according to 4wheelparts. The ProComp ES9000 are, i believe it is called, gas-charged which means that there is always pressure in the shock pushing down. This will give you a much stiffer ride since the pathy does not weigh a whole lot. I went with the ES3000 and they work decently.

Let us know what you think of them when you get them on. I was considering those bad boys myself. The extent of my off-roading is basically washboard dirt trails and an occasional stream. I think they should do the job. Good luck!

Let us know what you think of them when you get them on. I was considering those bad boys myself. The extent of my off-roading is basically washboard dirt trails and an occasional stream. I think they should do the job. Good luck!

just ordered a set of 3000's...will report next week

If it's not too late, and you are interested I have a set of sensatracs I will give you-free. They were used less than a year up till I lifted. The fronts do have dents on the covers from contacting my UCAs but work perfectly fine. You could cut that part off if you wanted. They have been sitting in my stock spare pile forever. I just needed longer shocks with flexible boots to clear my UCAs.

Since 4wheel parts did not have the ProComps or the rancho5000's, I called my local Advance auto parts and they can get them for me this evening. So I went on ahead and ordered the RS5000 by Rancho. I actually got them little cheaper then what 4wheelparts sells them for. hehehe

images.jpg

Edited by Xmas

Since 4wheel parts did not have the ProComps or the rancho5000's, I called my local Advance auto parts and they can get them for me this evening. So I went on ahead and ordered the RS5000 by Rancho. I actually got them little cheaper then what 4wheelparts sells them for. hehehe

Doesn't the 4wheelparts package include a steering stabilizer?

Edited by feloniousmonk

My Rancho RS5000

Well I finally put them on last night. They were a breeze to put on and what really stunned me was that my pathy had 166K and it still had the OEM shock on it. lol.

Anyways, its rides great and I have yet to off road it w/ them, but I can say is that I feel no more rocking side to side or back and forth. Stiff, but truck like suspension, just like I wanted!

My rig is OEM w/ no suspension lift, so I cannot comment on it, but these ranchos have a long drive to put ona 3" lift w/ no problems for sure.

Edited by Xmas

My Rancho RS5000

Well I finally put them on last night. They were a breeze to put on and what really stunned me was that my pathy had 166K and it still had the OEM shock on it. lol.

Anyways, its rides great and I have yet to off road it w/ them, but I can say is that I feel no more rocking side to side or back and forth. Stiff, but truck like suspension, just like I wanted!

My rig is OEM w/ no suspension lift, so I cannot comment on it, but these ranchos have a long drive to put ona 3" lift w/ no problems for sure.

Sorry but the possible hijack here but:

I've never done a shock replacement before. Would it be easy for me to do? What tools do I need?

Also, I'm rarely offroad but I want my truck to be capable. What shocks are for me? $200 or less.

Edited by BobLoblaw

Sorry but the possible hijack here but:

I've never done a shock replacement before. Would it be easy for me to do? What tools do I need?

a socket set, a jack, can of pb blaster just in case the nuts are rusty, and a can of anti seize to put on the threads.

Im pretty sure thats it. As it was all i needed when i removed my shocks.

Do you remember what size the nuts and bolts were? Might as well replace the hardware when I do it.

I think I used both 17mm socket, wrench and breaker bar or pipe to easier brake the bolts loose on the shocks bolts ;) . Also I did use PB on the bolts and jack and jack stands to hold rear body stable, which I had a hydraulic jack to lift the rear axel to get the tires off the ground. Very easy to do.

My pathy had the OEM shocks on it at almost 170K miles.

As for shocks and you want cheap and not really off road go w/ the ProComp entry level shocks.

Only reason why I wnet with Rancho's is b/c I got them same day, but it would not been the case if they had the Procomps in stock, but thats only because the ProComps were cheaper in price.

But I am happy w/ the Rancho Rs5000

Edited by Xmas