School me: Shocks

Xmas

dang, those pro-comps are way cheaper than the rancho rs5000's (price wise, that is) and they come w/ the steering stabilizer too.

i would get them if they weren't blue and my truck wasn't red. hahaha.

What number are the pro-comp you speak of? ES1000? Which height should I get? 0-1.5' or 0-2.5'? What does that even mean? What advantages do I get by moving up in price; in laymens terms (40 bucks more for es3000)? Once again, I rarely offroad, but I don't want to kill the shocks if I do.

Do I also need to buy the steering stabilizers? My pathy is all stock?

One more thing. In the pro-comp .pdf, it talks about Nissan 'hardbody'. What is that?

Edited by BobLoblaw

oops. lol. i was referring to the ES3000's. and idk the answer to ur height question.

some info from the 4wheel parts site:

...the Pro Comp ES1000. Designed as a replacement to factory... blah blah blah. basically just your standard stock.

...Designed to significantly improve both on and off road comfort and control, the Pro Comp ES3000... this seems like it would be your choice, based on the information you gave.

and no, you don't need steering stabilizers. they're not completely necessary but they do improve the steering's handling off-road.

and the Nissan Hardbody is nissan's pre-Frontier pickup truck. idk how else to describe it. lol. hopefully you know what truck i'm talking about...

What number are the pro-comp you speak of? ES1000? Which height should I get? 0-1.5' or 0-2.5'? What does that even mean? What advantages do I get by moving up in price; in laymens terms (40 bucks more for es3000)? Once again, I rarely offroad, but I don't want to kill the shocks if I do.

Do I also need to buy the steering stabilizers? My pathy is all stock?

One more thing. In the pro-comp .pdf, it talks about Nissan 'hardbody'. What is that?

I'd get the ES3000 for sure. Its not a big price difference between es1000 vs es3000 and the parts/components in the es3000 are better upgrade and sure will make your pathy ride better and shocks will last longer reguardless.

dang, those pro-comps are way cheaper than the rancho rs5000's (price wise, that is) and they come w/ the steering stabilizer too.

i would get them if they weren't blue and my truck wasn't red. hahaha.

If your pathy is stock, no one or even you will see the shocks or the red boots on the rancho's.

If you are wanting them b/c of it's color, then don't make that a priority. You can always primer the shocks and paint them what ever color you like, then maybe call Rancho customer service and tell them you like to purchase 4 red boots.

Main thing is budget and what you can spend.

As I said earlier, I cannot even see my shocks. Now if its lifted, maybe some, but not really.

Now if I was lifted and flex'in, now we will see some color on those shocks. lol

I think I used both 17mm socket, wrench and breaker bar or pipe to easier brake the bolts loose on the shocks bolts ;) . Also I did use PB on the bolts and jack and jack stands to hold rear body stable, which I had a hydraulic jack to lift the rear axel to get the tires off the ground. Very easy to do.

My pathy had the OEM shocks on it at almost 170K miles.

As for shocks and you want cheap and not really off road go w/ the ProComp entry level shocks.

Only reason why I wnet with Rancho's is b/c I got them same day, but it would not been the case if they had the Procomps in stock, but thats only because the ProComps were cheaper in price.

But I am happy w/ the Rancho Rs5000

My truck still had the oem shocks and its at 340,000kms, granted they're getting a little tired. But they've lasted a looooong time on my 93. And the adjustable part still works. And then my friend took my truck wheeling and broke them off along with some other parts :shiftyeyes::rant2:

Installed the ES3000's last night. Now I'll say that I had put new shocks on my Pathy less than 10,000 miles ago, but they were the cheap (Brand x) yellow ones from the local parts store. I wasn't happy with the front end especially, so that's what led to the new pro comp's.

Wow !!! The shock shaft is noticeably thicker than the Brand X. I installed the stiffer urethane bushing in the lower eye of the shock (supplied with shock) . The front end sits up higher ( feels like 1/2-3/4's of an inch), the front end is much more suple over speed bumps and potholes. The only issue is now the old rear ones feel like crap... :wacko::D

Money well spent !

Edited by tbone

Installed the ES3000's last night. Now I'll say that I had put new shocks on my Pathy less than 10,000 miles ago, but they were the cheap (Brand x) yellow ones from the local parts store. I wasn't happy with the front end especially, so that's what led to the new pro comp's.

Wow !!! The shock shaft is noticeably thicker than the Brand X. I installed the stiffer urethane bushing in the lower eye of the shock (supplied with shock) . The front end sits up higher ( feels like 1/2-3/4's of an inch), the front end is much more suple over speed bumps and potholes. The only issue is now the old rear ones feel like crap... :wacko::D

Money well spent !

How long did it take for you to install them? Was it easy? What tools did you need?

Actually, I was wondering if someone could write a "how-to replace your shocks" (step-by-step). I need to do it but I don't want to get into the job and then realize it's too much for me.

How long did it take for you to install them? Was it easy? What tools did you need?

Actually, I was wondering if someone could write a "how-to replace your shocks" (step-by-step). I need to do it but I don't want to get into the job and then realize it's too much for me.

Replacing shocks is one of the easier things to do. Takes a ratchet with a 17mm and 14mm socket size and about an hour. To do the driver's side rear, you need to unbolt the lower panhard rod mount and drop it out of the way temporarily. That's about it. Easy peasy. Get under there and have a look, it's fairly obvious where all the bolts are and where things go.

^^^ What he said.

For the panhard rod, you'll need a 19mm socket. :)

Simple to do....takes about 20 minutes per end of the truck, even with basic tools. If you have air tools...about 5 minutes per end of the truck.

^^^ What he said.

For the panhard rod, you'll need a 19mm socket. :)

Simple to do....takes about 20 minutes per end of the truck, even with basic tools. If you have air tools...about 5 minutes per end of the truck.

I did not have to touch or remove the panhard rod, , but except the old shocks and then with the new ones.

Edited by Xmas

How'd you get that shock off? Those things are so close together I've always had to.

I had no problems.

For the rear, what I did was this and I am not sure, but this could be maybe why:

1st : I got my jack and put it under my rear axel. I jaked it enough to where I get both tires off the ground and then enough to get my 'jack stands' under my hitch (to make my truck stable as I am under there cranking off the shocks). I also kept the pressue on my jack (on the axel) with the tires still off the ground. What I am thinking is that it allowed to make it to where I was able to remove the shock to 'get ER done' :)

I took off the old shocks w/ no issues.

-But really, I swear I did not have to remove panhard rod

Edited by Xmas

Weird....I've done shocks a couple of times, and always had to remove the axle side mount of the panhard rod to do it.

Oh well...live and learn! Good job guys. :aok:

Weird....I've done shocks a couple of times, and always had to remove the axle side mount of the panhard rod to do it.

Oh well...live and learn! Good job guys. :aok:

So now for my last question:

Where is the best place online or otherwise to buy Pro-comp shocks? What about in Canada?

Also, is there a specific ES3000 part number(s) that fit Pathy's? Mine's a 94 XE.

So now for my last question:

Where is the best place online or otherwise to buy Pro-comp shocks? What about in Canada?

Also, is there a specific ES3000 part number(s) that fit Pathy's? Mine's a 94 XE.

1st question answer is Best place online is http://www.4wheelparts.com

(probably only place online)

2nd - no. just call them/ contact info is here http://www.4wheelparts.com

Why wouldn't you want a steering stabilizer? It's a great add-on. You will probably need brackets to bolt one on with if you don't have one already...

I don't think Bob cares to off road much or rock crawl.

My truck is stable and I feel at 100% control at all times. i just don't think it is not needed unless you heavily are working a 4x4 crawlin journey.

Wait until you lift it, and throw bigger tires on it. Then you'll see the allure.

I've been contemplating a stabilizer for a while now.....just want to find the most cost effective way of doing it.

Hey all, just replaced all of my stocks with Rough Country 9000 shocks (http://www.roughcountry.com/shocks_rc9000.html) and the results are great! I love them. The ride turned out to be firm, yet compliant and the annoying bouncing after hitting light bumps are gone. The stocks weren't in bad shape, but I can definitely feel the difference. I have yet to go off the pavement to fully complete my test.

Just thought I'd share...