classic tail gating stories

sw

i use to own a 87 suburban 4x4 with 35's. i had some stupid teenage girl tailgate me so close around a curve her front bumper was under my rear. i didn't dare slam on the brakes. so on the way down the hill she was beeping and all kinds of crap so i just slowed to 10mph all the way down the long hill. she tried to pass but to many cars coming up she couldn't so she just had to beep and carry on like a dumb-a$$ so i came to a complete stop at a yield sign at the bottom and sat for about 5 mins. with nobody coming just to make sure she knew i was not going to be intimidated by some girl in a honda civic.

Well my pathy is stock, so it probably is faster than the majority of the pathys on these forums (no big tires or anything). Obviously its not that fast, it is only a pathfinder afterall, but unless I'm dealing with mustangs and BMW's and whatnot I can keep up with most cars. Surprisingly I rarely deal with any actually fast cars trying to pass me, the only ones that try that are usually old Mexican trucks or some old 4 cylinder Honda civic. My pathy's no speed demon, but I'm pretty sure she can take on a 87 Toyota Pickup.

I will admit to tailgating occasionally, though its more minor tailgating. As in, I'm probably closer than I should be, but I'm not so close you can't see my headlights. I only do this when I get real pissed off at a car (it does something stupid to me) and I only do it until I get a chance to pass them. Most of the time I just hang back a good ways and when I get a chance to pass, then I go because I find it more enjoyable to pass cars at higher speeds. If I'm right on their ass, I don't have much of a chance to accelerate before I pass them so its less fun.

I have to agree that the brake/downshift thing could be real dangerous and I have been tempted, but would not go there, ppl can get killed reacting in a instant, possibly a head on with some poor family in the oncoming lane, better to sort them out face to face if you can. Reading this reminded me of a real nut bar in Montreal a few years back, I am in 3 lanes of traffic (far left lane) doing 140 kph, passing cars in my maxima, he rolls up behind with the hi beams so close I can"t see the lights, I ignore him, @!*% I am passing at a good rate. About 30 seconds later, wham, he rams me, ok, cruise off, dial 911, motion him to the side, he follows down to about 70 kph and then takes off. I follow, doing about 170, get his licence and wait for the QPP on the side of the hwy. The cop shows up, looks at the scuffed paint on my bumper, he had the plates run en route. Asks if I saw the face, I say no, just the plate and make, he advises it's a company car nad without a visual on the face, he won't bother following it up as no case, I ask, will you give me the name of the company, nope, have a nice day. So get a look at the face if you can but don't kill yourself doin it cuz from the looks of this trhread, no shortage of tards out there. Side note, yesterday a cab entered my GF's lane head on to get around traffic at an intersection, nearly killed her, she did a 180 and got the guys info, called the cops, careless charges laid. Today, she was going thru a green and some moron flew thru the red narrowly missing her and her kids, nuff said, be careful out there!

/\ well said. i made it sound like i tailgate all the time, i really dont, im really an easy going speed-limit driver. It just bugs me when people endanger others' lives over something as simple as tailgating. I always assume there could be valid reason for tailgators.. what if they are rushing a loved one to the hospital, or need to catch an life-altering flight/appt/etc? I know a majority are just being rude, but you never know

a c6 vette rear ended me this afternoon on my way home from work...traffic was thick and stop and go...so im moving up when traffic is moving and i couldnt see his headlights at all hardly ever...so we get going up to 35 and hes trying to move in and out of traffic and i see traffic stopping so i just lay off the gas didnt downshift or anything and i felt a slight nudge and think nothing of it just though i hit a pot hole or something from all the ice scrapers last week...so we get moving and i see him go wizzing in and out of traffic and sure enough the hood was creased/cracked up got home and there was a slight hint of black paint on my rear bumper...prior to this i had 3 people not signal or look b4 coming into my lane and if it would have just been me and that charger with his 30 day tags on the road he would have went for a lil spin cycle but i didnt want to kill any1 so i jammed the brakes and let him over

some kid sideswiped a buddy of mines wife today and was so stoned she tried to chase him down and couldnt get his attention but took pix of his car with her camera phone (damn thats a scary thought) and 4 hrs later they catch him via his mom...he doesnt remember hitting anything and they just did an exchange of insurance form no hit and run or anything...they've had the car for like a month now brand new what kinda BS is that...

i hate people who dont give truck drivers enough room tho (yea some can be jackasses but most are nice) until i fried my cb i would chat it up on my trip to work and home every afternoon and always would find 1 running my speed and give them screens if they needed to get around a slow car or truck b/c its damn hard for them to move in traffic esp when u have people zipping in and out without signals...its like a 20,000+lbs truck vs your 1500-3000 lbs beer can car/truck/suv give him some room

Yesterday on my daily trip over the Teton Pass, I noticed a Wyoming State Trooper sitting at the weigh station. I called one of my co workers who was about ten minutes behind me to let him know about the nice officer. About 30 mins later he calls me and tells me a story:

Seems he was just passing through a little town called Victor and some jerk pulled out of a gas staion right in front of him. He said he almost had to lock the brakes to keep from hitting the other driver. Then the guy wont even do the speed limit. My co worker new that there was an officer about 10 miles ahead so he rode the guys butt pushing him up to about 65 in a 55. Turns out the officer had just pulled out of the weigh station and was heading for the border. Co worker saw him and began to bleed off speed, Jerk kept on goin at 65. Nice officer turned around behind co worker, passed him, and stopped the jerk. I hope he enjoyed his visit with the nice officer.

I have used my backup lights as a deterent to tailgaters and those people who dont like to dim their lights as they approach from behind. They just hapen to be be 100 watt driving lights attached to my bumper. I've never had to use them for more than one flash. I am very conscious of when I use them for this purpose as I dont want to flash blind other innocent drivers. I remember one guy in a honda about 6 feet off my bumber at 70mph. Lit up the inside of his car like a christmas tree. He backed right off.

I also seldom travel at the speed limit, usually about 10 over, and I hate being tailgated. I'll usually just start bleeding off speed to see how slow I can get the tailgater going, just because I know they are in a hurry. I've had tailgaters down to 40mph in a 65 before they would finally pass (on a four lane road). Only then to have to pass them again because they dont want to drive that fast with no one in front of them. Frustrating.

Just pull over. Your life isn't risking over a-holes.

They're eventually going to die from:

1) A flaming fiery spectacular crash

2) A heart attack from the stress of being a type A

3) Terminal bleeding hemorhoids, because, dammit, there is justice in the world!

So. I avoid being involved in 1) by pulling over.

I really couldn't care less if they go by #2.

And thinking about #3 let's me laugh as I pull over. :laugh:

LOL, Martin. Good points all.

I once had the pleasure of having some guy road-rage on me and nearly cause an accident in the fast lane of I-5.

Me: Chevy van, loaded. 6500 lbs.

Asshat: Ford Aspire, possibly 1800 lbs?

Me: Driving along at 70 in the fast lane on I-5. Limit: 65. Traffic: Medium. Cars in all three lanes, lots of trucks in the slow lane.

Asshat: *ride ass, ride ass*

Me: What an asshat.

Asshat: *attempts to pass in the middle lane*

Me: *grins and speeds up to foil his evil plot*

Asshat: *cannot pass, swerves behind me REALLY on my ass and flashes lights and honks horn indignantly*

Me: What an asshat!!

Asshat: *honks horn, turns high beams on and leaves them on*

Me: *floors it and goes from 65 to 85, leaving Asshat behind*

Asshat: *gives chase with high beams still on*

Me: There's room to pass, he can go the hell around me if he wants it that bad.

Asshat: *ride ass, ride ass*

Me: Jesus Christ, what an asshat!! Get out from behind me!

Asshat: *zooms around me in the middle lane, honking the whole time and waving a 50ish middle finger at me, peering through thick glasses and gargling incoherent inaudible curses*

Me: ASSHAT!!! *gives the finger back*

Asshat: *swerves in front of teh Tan Van and locks up the brakes* ...in the fast lane on I-5 in traffic.

Me: OMGWTFASSHAT!! *brakes hard and swerves around Asshat on the shoulder as everything in teh Van tumbles and rolls to the front cause I have a lot of shxt in here*

Asshat: *zoooms off into traffic*

Me: Get back here, you asshat! *calls State Police and gives them the plate number*

I never did hear if they got that guy. I'm a sad panda. :(

Seems he was just passing through a little town called Victor

hehe, I actually know where that is.

It's really too bad the cops don't do anything when you call in a plate. I called in this asshole tailgater in an audi a while back and they did absolutely nothing.

I mainly get tailgated by the little punk kids in there coffee can exhaust tip having weedeater engine running POS. To those dumb kids I feel no remorse in letting them crunch up their pretty aftermarket fiberglass hood that their dad/mom bought'em to go with the POS their dad/mom bought on my custom built steel bumper. I'll even get out to make sure they realize exactly how stupid it was to run into my truck and make sure I get the perents phone # so I can let them know exactly how the accident happened.

When I was a trucker I would lock up the trailer brakes with the dummy handle and make'em smoke real nice when someone was tailgating a little too aggressively. Kinda freaks people out to see all that smoke and hear all the noise, but the rig doesn't slow down a bit. It's not too good on the tires tho.

I called in over 50 drunk driver in under 3yrs and watched 14 of those driver being put into the patrol car to spend a little time in jail. One guy parked on the white line when the officer pulled him over. He then got out of his car and stumbled and fell down in the middle of the right lane on I-10 out in Arizona where the speed limit is 75mph. That guy would be dead today if it wasn't for the cop risking his life to drag the guy out of the interstate while cars and a couple of rigs swerved to avoid hitting them. When the cop got the drunkin idiot to the shoulder he was PISSED. I though the cop was gonna beat that guy to a pulp, but he stopped after a few blows to talk to whoever was calling him on the radio. That call saved the drunk guy from a good beating as far as I'm concerned, but after he talked to the guy on the radio he just put the cuffs on drunk guy(REAL TIGHT) and told me to have a nice day and thanked me for calling. B)

one of my friends was over in san diego for a business trip, and he wasnt really used to the area, nor the fast-paced traffic. he told me he was driving along on the interstate, trying to follow directions to his destination, and quickly attracted a tailgater..

there was a lot of traffic, my friend was in the middle lane, tailgater right behind. everyone started slowing down in front of him, but still going at a good pace, probably 50-60mph. well tailgater didnt like the idea of slowing down more than he had already, so he pulled into the left lane to pass, accelerator to the floor. Unknownst to the tailgater, the traffic was slowing for a stalled car in the left lane . My friend said the car came up beside him, looked over and frowned as he realized his imminent doom.. the next thing he said happend in slow motion - tires screeching followed by the tailgator plowing head first right into the stalled car, glass and other assorted car parts flying across the windshield of my friend's rental car as he passed by, haha

he was freaked out, he thought the guy must have died or at least injured really bad lol, but never stopped to find out

Edited by gxl90rx7

I stand by my position of just getting away from them. You have nothing to gain from provoking a moron.

IF you must do something along the lines of messing with them:

In most states, a quick call to the Highway Patrol to alert them of a vehicle being driven "aggressively, erratically, and very dangerously - possibly drunk" along with a license plate number has a couple unpleasant ramifications:

1) Any officers in the area will want them. That's a big $$ ticket that goes a long way to fulfilling quotas!

2) Most states track "hits" AND "near misses". Hits are actual tickets. Near misses are warnings and the like. When a vehicle is pulled over, the officer is informed of how many of each. Then they factors that in when they decide to write them up or not.

I'd like to believe a report of erratic/dangerous driving will be logged as a near miss, so the next time they get pulled over, the a-hat has already failed the attitude test and is much more likely to get a signed memento.

ok ok, i dont agree with tale gateing, but, i also dont like people that edge right up to you on a stop light (mostly on a uphill road [i drive a 5 speed]). I have given a few cars a love tap at the light, not always on porpus, but i have been known to give a vett a kiss of my spair tire, or bumper.

Anyway, i dont tale gate (hell, i can bearly keep up with the cars, i bearly break 70 5 gear tac'ed) and when people break check me, i allmost hit them, the pathy just dosnt stop all that well......

I am also one for calling the cops on break-checkers, i allmost slamed into a POS cavilar in the middle of an intersection. Appearntly i was following too close. the jerk stoped right ont he other side of the intersecton and got out (leaveing me in the intersection) and started yelling at me and kicked my rig (didnt do any damnage). I called Fort Smiths finest and they cought him. He was on speed.

The cop told me i would have been the right if i had hit him in self defense. ??

anyway.... that is just me.....

Jon

Dude. Wow.

"Tail gating"

"purpose"

"spare"

"barely"

"brake"

"Cavalier"

"apparently"

"stopped"

"leaving"

Dude. More wow.

OK

don't

an

I

tached

almost

doesn't

on the

intersection

didn't

damage

Smith's

caught

B)

Dude. Wow.

"Tail gating"

"purpose"

"spare"

"barely"

"brake"

"Cavalier"

"apparently"

"stopped"

"leaving"

You forgot "almost" and all of the missing apostrophes. *snicker*

'Scuse my PMS moment, y'all.

/\ well said. i made it sound like i tailgate all the time, i really dont, im really an easy going speed-limit driver. It just bugs me when people endanger others' lives over something as simple as tailgating. I always assume there could be valid reason for tailgators.. what if they are rushing a loved one to the hospital, or need to catch an life-altering flight/appt/etc? I know a majority are just being rude, but you never know

Ignorance is bliss. Your tailgating is risking those in front of you cause you're being too immature and self centered to use common sense and safe driving. Its pretty ironic you ignore your own negligence and endangerment to those you tailgate, yet you turn around and call out those who act out in response. Just like with cell phones... shut up/wise up and DRIVE.

i use to own a 87 suburban 4x4 with 35's. i had some stupid teenage girl tailgate me so close around a curve her front bumper was under my rear. i didn't dare slam on the brakes. so on the way down the hill she was beeping and all kinds of crap so i just slowed to 10mph all the way down the long hill. she tried to pass but to many cars coming up she couldn't so she just had to beep and carry on like a dumb-a$$ so i came to a complete stop at a yield sign at the bottom and sat for about 5 mins. with nobody coming just to make sure she knew i was not going to be intimidated by some girl in a honda civic.

:laugh: sounds just like something i'd do. i drive at 55-60mph to save gas. there are 4 lanes and when there's only 2 i try not to hold up traffic...... UNLESS you tailgate me. :angry: it is the one and ONLY thing that pisses me off while driving. usually i just laugh at tailgaters, hey, i used to drive semi's... yer not gunna intimidate me...... however, once i've been the recipient of your headlights for more than 5 miles and you have had more than enuff chance to pass me.. i will downshift and slow down.... i never hit my brakes... but i do slow down.

semi's annoy me the most. they suck off my draft and it CAUSES me to slow . it's like being stuck in a backward vaccum... like my pathy has enuff power to oevrcoem this. so as i end up getting sucked intot he vaccum, i slow down. not wasting my gas so you can tailgate me.... they usually get the idea and go around.

i used to use the 2 back up lights on my jeep, but i found they can cause an accident. i don't want to be part of an "induced" accident that causes innocent people to get hurt.

cali has got the WORST drivers of all time.... i call this "land of the tailgating tweaker".... i have seen some spastic tailgating.

i stick to the slow lane and mind my own business. i have an adjustable rear view mirror so i don't have to LOOK at you.... but if oyu tailgate me with the knowledge oyu are blinding me in my side mirrors.... jackass..... it's ON. :angry: