Oil Filter Relo Kit...

k9sar

Ok, so I'm finally gonna get off my lazy butt and do some more work on my truck. I have a dual relo kit to install and I have seen a couple of options for mounting locations. Engine bay over the wheel well seems to involve making a snazzy bracket to mount it over the connector set that lives there. I know Slick put hers under the fender but I was wondering how much clearance you have in full left steer and tuck while rock climbing. also, it's much more exposed to rock and mud flinging off the wheels.

so...

Anyone else mount a dual relo? where'd ya put yours? any pros or cons to your decision?

Ok, so I'm finally gonna get off my lazy butt and do some more work on my truck. I have a dual relo kit to install and I have seen a couple of options for mounting locations. Engine bay over the wheel well seems to involve making a snazzy bracket to mount it over the connector set that lives there. I know Slick put hers under the fender but I was wondering how much clearance you have in full left steer and tuck while rock climbing. also, it's much more exposed to rock and mud flinging off the wheels.

so...

Anyone else mount a dual relo? where'd ya put yours? any pros or cons to your decision?

do you have skids?? have seen guys mount them along the frame rails. could be an option...and means a super easy oil change.....

I have a dual relo kit to install and I have seen a couple of options for mounting locations. Engine bay over the wheel well seems to involve making a snazzy bracket to mount it over the connector set that lives there.

I am sure you have already seen mine, or one like it since to mentioned the bracket, but figured I would post the pics anyway. The bracket was quickly made with a few bucks worth of construction braces from Home Depot

***Ignore the ty wraps/zip ties and oil mess, I recently had one hose leak and added a single TW to stop it, the others are "insurance" and it will all be fixed during my next oil change :aok:

relo01da1.th.jpg relo02sa7.th.jpg relo03rt8.th.jpg

Anybody else notive the oil pressure is slow to build up if it sits for a few days with the dual filter relocator installed? I even reinstalled mine to a point lower than the oil filter outlet in case the oil was running back down into the pan after it sat.

hmmm... I never thought about that. much longer path to go before the oil gets to the cams. might be a bad thing. Maybe I'll put a sag in the line to keep oil close to the 'out' so even if it's shoving air, there'll at least be a blurp of oil onto the rockers when she starts.

Edited by k9sar

I mounted mine underneath. I have a 5 speed so there is a little more room there than with a auto.

see link, click view now to see more.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...165/t_=88532165

3 things that made me go this route was:

1. no sharp bends in the hoses

2. does not have to pump the oil upwards

3. Not that much of a mess when changing filters. Just wipe it off, or hose it off. It does not run all over other components.

so...

Edited by msavides

I mounted mine underneath. I have a 5 speed so there is a little more room there than with a auto.

see link, click view now to see more.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...165/t_=88532165

3 things that made me go this route was:

1. no sharp bends in the hoses

2. does not have to pump the oil upwards

3. Not that much of a mess when changing filters. Just wipe it off, or hose it off. It does not run all over other components.

Another good thing about this install too is that the hose is not as close to the manifold...great idea...I might do some changes on mine tomorrow .I might also put some kind of a rock shield made of ally so rocks doesnt damage the filters

Edited by PATHRIDER

You know I was thinking about using hose clamps, But when I slide the hose on the fitting and then tried to take it off and couldn't without destroying the hose I decided it did not need them. I still think about doing it since it is cheap piece of mind.

Mark

I got the exact same relo kit... Ill trade you 4 hose clamps, so you can replace those zip ties....

If youre going to use hose clamps (for extra precaution)you dont have to slide the hose off the fitting and like red said its designed like that and no way its going to slide out without ruining the hose.You can just unscrew the clamp all the way off and fit it around the hose and thighten it back again.

Edited by PATHRIDER

I tried getting them off because I Was running some heat shield around the hose next to the headers. Ijust cut the hose off instead. But that told me that the hoses are not going anywhere and I did not need any clamps. If I do put them on I will do just that.

mark

If youre going to use hose clamps (for extra precaution)you dont have to slide the hose off the fitting and like red said its designed like that and no way its going to slide out without ruining the hose.You can just unscrew the clamp all the way off and fit it around the hose and thighten it back again.