Aerodynamics

SnowSurfLax

I know that you hardcore offroaders probably don't even care, but I've read that when a vehicle has a steep change in body direction (like our pathy's do) in the rear of a car that the wind creates a sort of vacuum behind the car at high speed that pulls it backwards and makes it less efficient.

Now, some punk a$$ stole my spoiler right off my car (just slipped out the screws and walked off with it I presume) and I'm curious if this is hurting my gas mileage?

Does anyone know if the rear spoiler on R50's helps deflect the air from creating a vacuum behind it? I know it helps keep the rear clean by deflecting dust and what not, but I also read how they recommend liitle widgets on the rear of SUV's to make vortexes to disturb the vacuum so that there's not a vacuum at high speed pulling it backwards. Does the optional spoiler do this or is it just for show?

So any engineers out there have an opinion?

I'm curious if this is hurting my gas mileage?

You tell us, how's your gas guage reading since the snipe? :laugh:

I put one on my truck (cuz it looks cool - how offroad savy is THAT... lol, and to keep the window clean) and never noticed any difference in mileage.

I know that you hardcore offroaders probably don't even care, but I've read that when a vehicle has a steep change in body direction (like our pathy's do) in the rear of a car that the wind creates a sort of vacuum behind the car at high speed that pulls it backwards and makes it less efficient.

Now, some punk a$$ stole my spoiler right off my car (just slipped out the screws and walked off with it I presume) and I'm curious if this is hurting my gas mileage?

Does anyone know if the rear spoiler on R50's helps deflect the air from creating a vacuum behind it? I know it helps keep the rear clean by deflecting dust and what not, but I also read how they recommend liitle widgets on the rear of SUV's to make vortexes to disturb the vacuum so that there's not a vacuum at high speed pulling it backwards. Does the optional spoiler do this or is it just for show?

So any engineers out there have an opinion?

Not only does the rear spoiler help with that but it also gives you 25+hp and if you go fast enough you can even catch flight!

spoiler.jpeg

The spoiler/deflector deflects air downward so in essence it keeps rear spray while driving in the rain collecting on the rear window to a minimum. I'm STILL trying to get my hands on one...

That said, I would venture to say it also increases drag to a point...

Looked at some old pics.... this was actually my QX4's first trip to Baja, one month after I got her!

i think i can see the wind action in this pic.

IMG_1294.jpg

ahhh.... the days when my QX4 was still fresh and unmolested.....

haha, yeah it seems that my QX4 has about the same aerodynamics as a brick....

But it is well designed for minimal wind noise.... i made the mistake of installing window visors, unreal how much noise they add.

Edited by FUELER

That's true...the window visors do add to the wind noise, but they allow you to smoke while it's raining out and not drench your cigarette! :aok:

Not to mention, you can leave your windows down a bit, and no one can see that you've done so.

That's true...the window visors do add to the wind noise, but they allow you to smoke while it's raining out and not drench your cigarette! :aok:

Not to mention, you can leave your windows down a bit, and no one can see that you've done so.

In my case, I don't want to drench my blunt, but I use my ashtray!

But yeah its nice to crack the windows in the rain

Or you could take them off and quit smoking :tongue:

Or you could take them off and quit smoking :tongue:

How would you like a warm glass of shut the hell up?

I'll think about quitting smoking the day you get laid. :laugh:

Edited by Simon

these are the kind of blunts I smoke

(music video)

That's not a blunt... That's a Smoke Stack!

If you can smoke one of those on your own, you need a new drug. You're wasting too much money on that stuff to get your money's worth. That amount should have you passed out half way. Or you need to stop buying cheap $h|t.