My $150 Pathfinder

spotana98

Hello Everyone!

My name is Robbie, and I have a Pathfinder. She's not perfect, she not fast, lets just say she's been taken advantage of in the past. My 1991 Pathfinder SE was picked up from a college grad who wanted it out of the frat house parking lot he was about to move out of. The upside? Nice BFG 31" with lots of tread on them, alloy rims, power everything, 5sp (I hate Auto) strong running engine (minus the valve seal leakage), decent interior, and a pretty straight body with only a few dents and scratches.

The downside was the major mechanical noise coming from the tranny. It made lots of noise in every gear but 4th. At first I tried to diagnose only by coming here and asking questions, also talked to service at the Nissan dealer. Everything pointed to the faulty countershaft bearings. Instead of rebuilding I went the cheap way and bought a junkyard tranny, I managed to snag one for a 550 instead of between 650 and 1000 bucks. I figured my craigslist superfind was only in 150 bucks, why not just throw a different tranny in. Well about 1000 bucks later for a tranny and install, I got a me a fine running Pathy, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure I'll be using NPORA a lot to discuss with other like-minded individuals. I'm not a hardcore 4x4 buff but I do like the less-traveled areas. Plus I needed a new camping/fishing rig. I'll have pictures up soon!

Very nice, make sure you put the correct amount and type (GL-4, or compatible gear oil for gears with soft metals) of gear oil into the new trans or it may suffer the same fate as the old one. The fill plug is located too low on the housing on all the FS5R30A's from 88-95, so it should take 5.1L of fluid, not 3.8 like the book says. A common way to add more oil is to remove the gear shifter and pour it in fron the top, or you could jack it up to one side so you can get more in.

• 2 weeks later...