Simple Question

shortysmash

ive looked on line and for a 2001 pathfinder it says the tank size is 21 gallons but when i run it to where the needle is under the e mark it still everytime fills up around 18 gallons. does anyone know the true gas tank capacity.

thanks

ive looked on line and for a 2001 pathfinder it says the tank size is 21 gallons but when i run it to where the needle is under the e mark it still everytime fills up around 18 gallons. does anyone know the true gas tank capacity.

thanks

21.1 gallons. I've put over 20 in my tank at least once.

• 2 weeks later...

i think ive run it to the gas light being on twice and it still took less than 20 gal, its probably just a bit of an added "safety" feature for the benefit of the stupid, by that i mean the people that gave us the idea for every movie where a vehicle runs out of gas in the middle of nowhere and there like @!*% i should have been able to get across the desert with 7 gallons....i cant believe this happened to me, then they get killed my psycos or flesh eating mutants...you know hehehe

The "accuracy" of the R50 gas gauges is somewhat suspect. It drive my wife nuts when she sees the gauge at the 1/4 mark but I know it will only take about 45l. When the low fuel light comes on, I can barely get 60l into the 79l tank. 1/2 gets me about 30l. Go figure.

Yeah there is definitely something suspect with my guage then. I drove with the gas light on for i believe 37 miles actually trying to run out of gas (I was trying to figure out how far a full tank would go being driven very easy on the skinny pedal) I had my 5 gallon gas tank with me. I made it to like 306 miles with the needle burried and the gas light on. I gave up and filled up and it only took like 17 galllons wtf? was there seriously like almost 4 gallons left? Well I guess I would have been getting like 20-21 mpg. that has never happened afaik.

i think ive run it to the gas light being on twice and it still took less than 20 gal, its probably just a bit of an added "safety" feature for the benefit of the stupid, by that i mean the people that gave us the idea for every movie where a vehicle runs out of gas in the middle of nowhere and there like @!*% i should have been able to get across the desert with 7 gallons....i cant believe this happened to me, then they get killed my psycos or flesh eating mutants...you know hehehe

at least nissan is protecting us from the hills have eyes

The "accuracy" of the R50 gas gauges is somewhat suspect. It drive my wife nuts when she sees the gauge at the 1/4 mark but I know it will only take about 45l. When the low fuel light comes on, I can barely get 60l into the 79l tank. 1/2 gets me about 30l. Go figure.

Yeah, and I hate how you'll get 100kms and the gauge says its still full, then it drops to 3/4 after 30 more clicks, and then it'll go to half real fast, and stay there for a while. I've never run it with the light on for long. But at half, it costs 28 dollars to fill at 95 cent a litre give or take. And the most I've ever put in from empty is about 60 bucks. Damn r50 gas gauge, I wish it was more like my wd21 gauge :tonguefinger:

I have driven mine to the E line and below but have never had the light come on. The most I have put in mine 97 XE 4x4 is 18.6 gallons. dose an XE have a low fuel warning light? When I turn the key to the on possition and all the lights come on I dont have a low fuel warning that comes on. is that normal?

I have driven mine to the E line and below but have never had the light come on. The most I have put in mine 97 XE 4x4 is 18.6 gallons. dose an XE have a low fuel warning light? When I turn the key to the on possition and all the lights come on I dont have a low fuel warning that comes on. is that normal?

My 99.5 XE has a warning light, but it wont come on with the key like the rest do.... only when I'm low on gas.

Actually, it's really simple. It's a 3.1 gallon reserve, mostly so that if you were to park your car on a hill when it's on E and then try and start it, it will. Otherwise, you might be parked up or down hill (IDK where the fuel pump intakes on the tank) and it wouldn't start. If I remember correctly, you can damage injectors if you run a tank dry.

Ford tends to do the same thing, at least they did in the 80's with their trucks.

I just put 17.8 gallons in my pathy today with 260 miles on the trip and the needle was at the bottom of the E line with still no light. I think that maybee mine isjust burnt out. And that is only 14.44 MPG. I think its time for plugs. I have noticed that it has a slight hesitation and maybee a slight miss under light load. sorry that was off subject. Should my Low fuel light have come on with the guage reading at the bottom of the E line?