Superpower Or Not A Superpower? That Is The Question

Vsicks Pathy

I have been watching China's rapid growth for years now and some of you probably have an interest in it too.

I was talking with some friends only recently about the "real" possibility of China being the next and only superpower... I was talking within the next 5 years or so. They laughed it off, thought I was joking. The subject came up when we learned that the US wanted to sanction China's imports. I thought that strange given the fact that China has so much invested in the US$.

Anyway, I just came across this article and wanted to see your opinions. It goes without saying, I may have been wrong about China becoming a superpower in 5 or so years.

I found the comments most enlightening. :huh::hide:

I dont think it will happen in 5 years, but possibly sometime in the future. The problem China is having right now is its quality in products that they manufacture. The US had the same proble in the industrial revolution. Good matierials(steel, aluminum,ect) and quality goods(food, toys, electronics, ect) are going to need to come from them to supply themselves and the rest of the world. I believe there is a lot of problems with the standards upon which their products are made. Whether its some old businessman who does not want to spend money, or some guy taking bribes to let crappy products pass by and label it top of the line, I dont know.

When is the last time you bought something made in China? As a professional mechanic, I dont have much in my toolbox if anything from China. I also get a little worried when I see anything at home when its made in China. Are all those toys that are being recalled that are covered in Lead paint made in China? How about the recent article about poor food standards in Chinas food that killed a lot of thier own people?

Now I say all of this knowing that if China gets its act together as a country, yes they definatly could be a superpower. How soon that will happen is unknown. I do know if they grow too fast, it could all crumble. They have to take thier time and adjust as need, and they have to do it as a whole country. Not 1 or 2 companies can support the whole county. Well, thats my 2 cents!

I dont think it will happen in 5 years, but possibly sometime in the future. The problem China is having right now is its quality in products that they manufacture. The US had the same proble in the industrial revolution. Good matierials(steel, aluminum,ect) and quality goods(food, toys, electronics, ect) are going to need to come from them to supply themselves and the rest of the world. I believe there is a lot of problems with the standards upon which their products are made. Whether its some old businessman who does not want to spend money, or some guy taking bribes to let crappy products pass by and label it top of the line, I dont know.

When is the last time you bought something made in China? As a professional mechanic, I dont have much in my toolbox if anything from China. I also get a little worried when I see anything at home when its made in China. Are all those toys that are being recalled that are covered in Lead paint made in China? How about the recent article about poor food standards in Chinas food that killed a lot of thier own people?

Now I say all of this knowing that if China gets its act together as a country, yes they definatly could be a superpower. How soon that will happen is unknown. I do know if they grow too fast, it could all crumble. They have to take thier time and adjust as need, and they have to do it as a whole country. Not 1 or 2 companies can support the whole county. Well, thats my 2 cents!

I agree with all of what you said. And unfortunately Australia is already flooded with cheap Chinese products, including food.. There doesn't see to be any escape from it either?

It isn't their inferior products that I was referring to though. They seem to be doing an excellent job making money even with sh!t products.

It is the massive power they have and their ability to wield it in the world economy that I was referring to.

Here is the first few lines of the article I linked to....

"Early this morning China let the idiots in Washington, and on Wall Street, know that it has them by the short hairs. Two senior spokesmen for the Chinese government observed that China’s considerable holdings of US dollars and Treasury bonds “contributes a great deal to maintaining the position of the dollar as a reserve currency.”

Should the US proceed with sanctions intended to cause the Chinese currency to appreciate, “the Chinese central bank will be forced to sell dollars, which might lead to a mass depreciation of the dollar.” " It is a good eye opener for those that don't know where the money is.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, this topic will take more than 1 thread!

Well, China is only on the verge of superpowerdom due to it's size, resources, and huge but near useless labor pool. Not a slight on the Chinese, but most of them are still peasants. :shrug:

The government, exploiting this, has managed to buy the US treasury, according to the article and I've heard similiar things before. Pure stupidity to allow it to happen, in my book. Oh, wait, it was pure greed...

Let me say that again, Greedy Profiteers who can't run companies without inverted pyramid management (and pay) structure and then have to slash manufactoring costs to 'stay competitive'. *spits*

I work in the industrial field, have had umteen conversations about the overseas manufacturing principle and have argued against it every time. Fire 1/2 the managers, they are the biggest drain on a company. Spend the dollar here, in the US. Perhaps it will only be slow, stable growth, but I think thats what most people want! Keep the $ within the country, don't spend far more than taxes accrue and don't sell primisary notes to foreign countries to pay for the sh!t !!

Sorry, but I have to keep it brief for now. The article comes as no real suprise, much to my dismay. I feel this sums it up quite well...

This is a grim outlook. We got in this position because our leaders are ignorant fools. So are our economists, many of whom are paid shills for some interest group. So are our corporate leaders whose greed gave China power over the US by offshoring the US production of goods and services to China.

B

Just a side note... I have a 1/2 inch drive socket for my impact wrench. The socket was made in china. I was trying to remove a frame bolt on my van (rusted of course) and I busted my craftsman socket by throwing a 6foot pipe on my breaker bar and throwing a little weight on it. I put on my chinese one as a last ditch attempt and I did not break it. I broke the bolt. So, aparently not all chinese sh!t is sh!t.

Just a side note... I have a 1/2 inch drive socket for my impact wrench. The socket was made in china. I was trying to remove a frame bolt on my van (rusted of course) and I busted my craftsman socket by throwing a 6foot pipe on my breaker bar and throwing a little weight on it. I put on my chinese one as a last ditch attempt and I did not break it. I broke the bolt. So, aparently not all chinese sh!t is sh!t.

I would guess that you had the bolt half broke before that China crap was put to use.

wd40

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being under a VW Bug, trying to break loose the transaxle cap screws so I could remove the tranny using a large allen wrench, piece of pipe and a chinese made hand sledge. After a bit of pounding, I put down the hammer then picked it back up, but with the head 180 degrees from before. The face was deeply scored. WTF?? After some testing, it was obvious that the hammer wasn't (or quite improperly) hardened steel. Now thats lame!!

Not all of my chinese craftsmanship experiences have been like that, but that one is well remembered and made an impression. I rate their products hit or miss at best.

B

• 2 months later...
Well yeah, China is using oil like the US did in the early 20th century. They have no environmental concerns, just burn whatever it takes!

?? You haven't been watching CNN or FOX news have GG. They will give the impression that China is consuming equal, if not more oil than the USA... Scare mongering only GG.

China is still way behind the USA with its oil consumption. A long way behind.

China has discovered the cons of being the only contender for the single most powerful country in the world.... pollution. Old technology with its coal powered factories, inadequate infrastructure with regards to waste disposal etc. are causing major concern for them. China has clearly been taken by surprise given how quickly the economy is growing and they have not been unable to modernise quick enough.. As for no environmental concerns? They are pretty serious about it in fact. Actions speak louder than words..... They have done something to correct the pollution problem (besides building new factories etc. to replace the old ones), something that our two countries are yet to do, they have accepted and ratified the Kyoto Protocol, though if Labor get in at the next federal election, we will ratify it too. It will be a lonely word according to this map of ratified countries for you guys.

Oops, I forgot that some can not read maps. Here is a list of countries. I hope that they amend the comment about Australia, it isn't true. Well it is if Howard somehow stays in power.....

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Actually I watched about a 3 hour documentry on the Three Gourges Damn project (produced by National Geographic IIRC). They went into a lot of detail of just how quickly China is leaping into the machine age and how they are completely disregarding most eco concerns resulting from it.

If anyone "scare mongers" it is you V. All you do is whine and cry about how bad the world is.

Actually I watched about a 3 hour documentry on the Three Gourges Damn project (produced by National Geographic IIRC). They went into a lot of detail of just how quickly China is leaping into the machine age and how they are completely disregarding most eco concerns resulting from it.

If anyone "scare mongers" it is you V. All you do is whine and cry about how bad the world is.

safety nor environmental protection have been on the front burner in China.. for now they love their "hemi". lol

Sorry, I am a scare monger? How exactly do I qualify for that title? Please... I want you to elaborate.

Though I am concerned about a certain rogue country attacking and inflicting itself on other countries ATM, I am hardly crying about it. In fact the more events that occur regarding that rogue country the quicker it will run out of money... God only knows it has already ran out of friends.. No, no GG, a new age is dawning, and for my mind, it looks pretty good, though some enlightened thinkers, of which there are a couple on this board, do not share my perceived pleasure at the new possibilities. So let the cards fall where they may. I have my fingers crossed!

safety nor environmental protection have been on the front burner in China.. for now they love their "hemi". lol

I think you will find that China is doing what is required of it under the Kyoto Protocols mz. Developing countries are given time frames etc. to meet criteria. The US and Australia, both developed countries, don't want to meet the criteria and use developing countries like China and India, for example, or that, it will be bad for the economy, as their justification. It is a joke and a cop out.. We should be ashamed.

Sorry, I am a scare monger? How exactly do I qualify for that title? Please... I want you to elaborate.

The only posts you make anymore here are just to bash the US, it's government or laws for some reason you don't agree with and then spew a bunch of BS about whatever topic is twisting your panties at that time.

a new age is dawning, and for my mind, it looks pretty good, though some enlightened thinkers, of which there are a couple on this board, do not share my perceived pleasure at the new possibilities.

well, i am here and i don't like the view.. things in europe are going rather peachy too.. then china.. ... it ain't the prettiest picture from this side of things.. and then i watch these guys on the capital hill get into discussions about gay marriege? wtf? and attacking Iran?? wtf x2? the list could go on and on on this.. we have many issues but those we're not dealing with.. prosperity is out there to be had but we ain't looking down that row here right now.

The only posts you make anymore here are just to bash the US, it's government or laws for some reason you don't agree with and then spew a bunch of BS about whatever topic is twisting your panties at that time.

So are you going to bother elaborating on what makes me a scaremonger or not? Or was this meant to be your attempt at it? :omg:

The reason I only post interesting things, as opposed to the majority of the same old same old here at the moment, is because I am an interesting person. An interesting and complex thinking person that is interested in world events, and as such I post in the "off topic section". How about you find a little spot and post your blinkered views there. Why not do it in the poho thread, you may notice that I never post there (I did look in there once and it scared me. (I am still not sure if it was too deep or too shallow. Go figure!)), so you will be safe from me (the scary scaremonger man, though you seem to be pressed as to explain yourself) in there. People might not even call you out on the fanciful, head in the bucket (obviously) remarks you make while you are in there. I mean to say, we are talking about events, by we, I don't mean you, that need to be debated or viewed with some maturity.

That said, when something comes up (in other threads) that I think I may be able to help with or that deserves comment, I will assist, applaud and give my views and experiences as I always have.

I forgot to add..... Are you happy with that GG?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy