Interlock Button

Thank you sooo much :D another thing, when i have my four wheel shifter in neutral and try to put my truck in gear it goes nowhere is this normal? i thought the neutral on the four wheel shifter was for the tranfercase and frontdiff. also my pathy makes a winding noise while i drive in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but not in forth or fifth can you please help me with this problem.

oh btw i have a 88 pathy its stick with doug thourley headers and a 3 inch body lift, its not much but its a good start

yeah, the 4x4 shifter needs to be in 2h for normal driving, 4hi for somewhat bad traction and 4lo for very, very bad traction ONLY! when in N then you get 0 power to the wheels.

winding noise from where?

thank you yeah i drive it in 2h but the noise sounds like its coming from the front end its like its winding up but its only in 1-3 not i 4-5

so withthe interlock i can start it in gear? without the clutch disengaged? what the point in that?

thank you yeah i drive it in 2h but the noise sounds like its coming from the front end its like its winding up but its only in 1-3 not i 4-5

so withthe interlock i can start it in gear? without the clutch disengaged? what the point in that?

I think its an offroad thing...but I'm way faster in hitting the clutch and hitting the key to start it back up than that lil button...

some day you may experience the genius of this button.

can you please give me an example of how and when this button would come into play?

You are climbing a hill offroad in your manual-trans truck, you do something stupid and you accidentally stall the engine. You manage to catch the truck with the brakes. You are in a position where if you slip the clutch and brakes, you're going to roll back down the hill, probably into the people or trees at the bottom.

Instead of trying the three-footed dance, you can simply leave the truck in gear, hit the interlock switch, and use the starter to crawl the truck up the rest of the way - or even get it to start in gear and drive up the rest of the way normally.

thank you now i understand it completly the only thing is its kinda of awkward since the interlock button is on the right side of the whell and so is the key really no way to hold the wheel (since my interlock button doesnt stick i have to hold it down and turn the key)

The interlock should be a momentary contact deal. Hit the button, release. No need to hold it in. Now turn the key and it should engage the starter - but only once. If you turn the key back off, you'll need to hit the button again for another shot.

Using it in 4 Lo and 1st or reverse gives an incredibly controllable application of power to crawl out of tight situations with minimal wheel spin.

I need to fix the one in little red.... it only works sometimes!

• 4 weeks later...

Not always true. My interlock switch stays in whatever position I put it in. Maybe it's an oddity but that's how mine works.

"If you turn the key back off, you'll need to hit the button again for another shot."

My '90 has an interlock. Perhaps it was an option and not standard equipment.

"they came on 95s that were man-trans......."

Edited by DreadPirateRedBeard

no need if you bypass the clutch interlock (my 87 that has a 95 harness and what not in it) you can start the truck at anytime no matter what gear it is in it's not biased by any means...

True, that should do the trick. But, if by some act of god or emergency, my wife has to drive my Pathy I would like that safty feature intact.

haha yea...I have done it 2 times now...once while working on it and was a lil intoxicated and was testing my relay forgetting it was in gear and bumped it and I moved forward...luckly I have pretty good reflexes even after a couple...

and the other night I was trying to hit the hella lights and hit the damn ignition toggle instead...guess I need to separate those a lil bit more...

I did the same thing in my buddies chevy one night b/c he didnt have a shift pattern and I assumed that 1st was down and to the left and he neglected to tell me that was R and he was backed into a spot that was right on the edge of a nice steep cliff behind it where there wasnt a curb...so having the reaction time when I tried to turn the ignition far enough over to hit the cab light she jumped backwards and cranked...lukcly I was fast enough to get on the clutch and brakes to keep us from going over...he then rewarded me for the sweet save by allowing me to do a couple burn outs and light to light runs :D