So Who Is Going To Bail On Their Path?

zack1978

Here is some great reading!

Zack

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_78984.html

:laugh: i had forgot about that... here was my reply:

21st Jul 2006, 23:24

I have a '92 Pathy and have had no issues what-so-ever with mine, though, gratefully, I do live on the west coast... I feel for those who do end up with frame rot, and, depending on the amount of damage, they can usually be repaired by reinforcement and good welding.

To those who have yet to get this issue, but are beginning to wonder.. rust preventer's such as POR 15 and the such like are your saviours.

Good luck!

aaron (88) posted just above me...... and i can't remember who else posted on there

the frame rot seems more commonly present in 94-95 models for some reason..... all my cali pathy's have uber clean frames, king's has slight surface rust due tot he fact he sat 5 years with mud on his frame, but mini (92) and piglet's (88) frames look like brand new.

I am always offering to help someone purchase a cali pathy and have it shipped.. hell, i have 1 i am selling... what is cheaper... buying a clean frame pathy (not including all the spare parts) cheap, and shipping it for under $800, and doing a frame swap, OR, junking your pathy, going out and buying something new......

Edited by Slick

I may be bailing soon, but it won't be due to rust issues. I've owned it since new. It's lived it's life in SE Texas. No salt.

My problems are more age-related. The body's in decent shape, but at 193K there's a number of niggling little things that make using it as a daily driver not so great.

So post up the "niggling little things" and I'm quite sure someone will have the answer for you! If the body and frame are in good shape, these things will last forever.

I tell you what will have major rust issues...the new Tundra's...they had a frame cross section when I got my Camry a month ago and it was just a C channel with welded stiffeners...they're gonna have some major issues b/c as it may pass the salt bath's the tests dont incorporate dirt getting in there and wearing off the coatings then the salt getting right to the steel...

i just found some small hints of rust on my 87 tonight under the rear hatch seal 2 spot welds have started to rust pretty good...the only other rust shes had was under the trim on the pass side door and now she has a good bit of surface on the frames and rear axle where I never washed the mud off of it almost 2 years ago 3 days prior to the engine breaking and shes just been sitting...but nothing bad (my 95 had more rust but nothing major on it just some around the battery and from the fender flares) but that was taken care of

My frame in the rear is not fully boxed anyore its a C frame now i banged out all the loose rust and welded over it after taking rust precautions. Under the rear seat isn't so hot anymore either. Truck runs like a top at 215k miles i just wheeled it this past weekend. I agree with the first post it might be worth getting something for the truck then nothing but a rusted hulk. Just remember they can be donated to the local fire departments for training purposes and you get a tax writeoff. I know with my full time FD many cars come with parts missing so semi stripping the cars but leaving structural parts is ok. To me, i'd at least see somoene learn off my pathfinder maybe even save a life, then see it go to the heapyard or donated to these cancerfunds and then sent to the heapyard after being stripped. No one wants to see their baby cut up but..........

This truck gave me alot of faith in pathfinders i have 2 of my close friends to purchase wd21's due to the price, LSD, live forever, and overall great trailbeater. Toyota's of similar quality are 1-3k dollars more and you get the 3.slow head gasket blowing engine. thanks nissan for building the rest of the truck great at least.

Scott