Sloppy Handling = Bad Cv Boot?

SaKaNa

So yesterday I started getting this REALLY loose or sloppy handling feeling.. felt like my pathy lost 2000 lbs, it was like the entire thing was 100% carbon fiber... just felt much too light and loose. Whenever I'd turn when moving, it felt like my steering had alot of free play in it, but when I looked, the wheels were only moving when I moved the steering wheel, and they were moving IMMEDIATELY, no free play.

So I decided to look around underneath this morning. Rear diff breather tube was disconnected, no big deal. Then I saw this...

oops.jpg

Could this bad CV boot be the cause of my problems? What am I looking at as a cost to repair this... I've never had to do one of these, and I never bother doing things myself...

I've been told tie-rods, and rear control arms, but I poked around and couldnt find anything wrong in the moment I was checking it out, but the CV boot there is definitely in need of replacing.

My brother just took it for a drive, and described the feeling as "delayed steering when youre moving"

Have you tried having someone turning the steering wheel while you watch the steering components. You should be able to see if there is alot of movement in some of the joints in the system.

Hello. The boot is bad and will eventually need to be replaced or the CV will go from dirt and lack of lubrication; it's an expensive job to pay to replace the boot, you might even cosider having the axel half replaced at the same time. The loose steering is common in old pathys and is related to worn bushings in the steering linkage; I'd jack the frame up and give the wheels a tug to see if they wobble or seem loose

Check the steering rack bushing directly below the oil filter.Over the years oil builds up on this bushing and it gets bloated until it finally gives out.Once it gives out , your steering rack can move about an inch or so , causing the symptoms you're describing.When i bought my 96 and i went over everything , mine was bloated but still holding together and i got a new one from the dealer for $20.And definitely take care of the CV boot ASAP also.

Well, just my effing luck...

I pulled off my skidplate to drain and flush the radiator, and what do I see? A bunch of rubber pieces...which I invariably traced back to my non-existant drivers side steering ack bushing. I'll post some pictures when I get home...

Does anyone have any tips (*cough* Alex) on replacing them?