Three Indicator Lights On At Once?

jammer

While driving yesterday three of my indicator light starter to flicker at the same time and now they are on all the time together. The "brake warning" light, the "A/T oil temp", and the "Charge warning" light are all on now. Any ideas? There is nothing in the owners manual (I know but I had to look) and nothing in my repair manuals. There aren't any garages open today where I live and I need my ride for work.

88 is right. Something seems top have gone south in the charging system. Check your belts and stuff, but it looks like you might be in the market for a new alternator.

I figured it was the alternator so I'm glad you agree. I was just curious as to why the three lights came on instead of just the battery light which is what I thought should happen if it was just the alternator. It just freaked my out to have three lights for three completely different systems on the truck go on at the same time. Now that I 'm done work I'll roll the Pathy into the garage and get to work.

When the voltage goes to somewheres below 10 volts the ECU starts to act up causing the gauges to go a little freaky.

Below 10 volts eh... same thing happens to me but it's when I go over 10 beers. :friday:

Thanks again for the help. Got the Alt. out no problem tonight. The hard part is finding a new/used one in this small town.

The ECU will operate just fine until about 10 volts (and even correctly operate the gauge cluster), but the warning lights glow immediately if the alternator output drops below battery voltage, not if the ECU voltage drops below 10.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think the reason why 3 warning lights glow is because the alternator is driven by the same belt that operates the engine fan and water pump. When the alternator stops putting out the proper voltage, the system can't tell if the alternator has failed or if the serpentine belt has broken.

Using 3 RED warning lights is a method for getting the driver's attention, so if the cause is a failed fan/water pump/alternator belt, the driver's attention will be directed toward the gauge cluster (and hopefully will also notice whether the temperature gauge moves, too), and can take corrective action to prevent overheating and possible engine damage.

• 5 months later...

Okay, so I have the same problem, but took the check bulb relay out, and now only have a bat. indicator lamp that comes on every so often. I've checked everything rebuilt the alt. did same thing, went and bought brand new from nissan a new alternator, and the lamp stayed on so i got my money back and stuck with the rebuilt alternator....

Sometimes when the truck really over chargers, the truck runs differently. Obviously all lights get a lot brighter....

I've ran out of clues of where to look to for why it does this.

Okay, so I have the same problem, but took the check bulb relay out, and now only have a bat. indicator lamp that comes on every so often.

Do you mean that you have altered the original circuit between the alternator and the charge control lamp in the instrument cluster? The lamp is a required part of the total alternator circuit.

/PJ

Took the relay out.. Even with it in, and everything being fixed that I thought was wrong problem still consist of the three lights...

Check the fusible link from the alternator to the battery or check to see how many volts at the battery when the engine is running. If the fusible like is bad then you will get the same symptom as a bad alternator and until it is fixed all the alternators in the world won't help.

mark

Check the fusible link from the alternator to the battery or check to see how many volts at the battery when the engine is running. If the fusible like is bad then you will get the same symptom as a bad alternator and until it is fixed all the alternators in the world won't help.

mark

Alright, I believe Im right about this, "but" isn't the fusible link for the alternator right next to the battery on the harness?

Alright, I believe Im right about this, "but" isn't the fusible link for the alternator right next to the battery on the harness?

I believe so. It would just be easier to check your voltage with the truck running. If you are getting 14 volts then your fusible link would have to be good since the voltage would be getting to the batter from the alternator. If not then your fusible link could be bad. It is a PITA but then you could chack the voltage on the back of the alternator with the engine running and if you have voltage then for sure your link is bad.

mark

okay, so in auto class today at school, we took the fusible link out, and checked it... came out working fine.... Flows current just fine...

So maybe check the alternator again... But if it isn't the alternator.. What would be the next step in solving this problem? as is I have a whole lot of little money, I.e. I work at mcd's lol...

So meaning i cant take it to nissan....