Things To Watch Wheeling My R50

I plan on taking my stock 97 Pathfinder wheeling for the first time. Is there anything I really need to watch out for drivetrain wise? We have some sand dunes and bumpy whoopdy doo trails close to my house and My roommate and I took his Jeep Wrangler out today and now I have the itch to take the pathy out and play a little though not as hard as we played today. I am just wondering if there is anything I really need to worry about taking my bone stock XE out for a little playtime. I have Firestone destination LE's on it in the stock 235-70-15 size, they wont let me play as rough as his pro comps but thats good cause I dont want to break my pathy. and as much as I can tell its never been off road. It has 128,000 miles and mechanicaly and cosmetically it top shape. I just want to go get it dirty and have some fun. any advise would be greatfull.

Thanys

Mikeysentra

Edited by mikeysentra

I'd take a look at the underbody of your truck. Try to find the key things like t-case, lowest points and such. Part of wheeling is knowing your truck. Doing this will help you choose a line and avoid damaging your truck. Have a good one!

And when you get stuck... like really stuck, like, completely bottomed out with no chance of escape stuck... dont try to rock back and forth alot... unless you want to replace your transmission.

its an automatic and thanks for the advise. I am going to go out with my roommate and he will take his wranger so if I get stuck he can winch me out. I do have the step rails but want to keep them on to save the rocker panels.

Unless you have a 5 speed.

....Um... I bet you your transmission I could burn up your clutch in a matter of minutes in the Jersey mud... You come on over, we'll go to the mud, and I'll fry it in lets say.... between two and five minutes.

Are you going to do mud and sand, or hard-packed dirt and rocks? The step rails will not save the rocker panels for severely rutted dirt and rocks. Don't expect them to hold the weight of the truck.

See this? I got that rocker panel damage from my stock rails bending when I tried to use them to slide over a boulder. That's why I now have sliders.

08slider_r_close.jpg

I plan on going in hard packed dirt and sand not much rocks and mud. I also plan on doing some trail runs with a northwest group. I have only owned the pathfinder for a month and a half and just want to take it out for some light offroading.

I dont plan on lifting my rig so what would you recomend for struts and shocks? I was thinking of Rancho RS9000X all the way around. is there anything better that I should be aware of? also how wide/what size a tire can I put on my factory steel wheels?

If you have stock step rails, I suggest removing them...

Yes! I just removed mine last weekend. I think it looks a little higher. And better. I'm waiting for sliders.

I dont plan on lifting my rig so what would you recomend for struts and shocks? I was thinking of Rancho RS9000X all the way around. is there anything better that I should be aware of? also how wide/what size a tire can I put on my factory steel wheels?

1) Yes...there is a MUCH better option than the Ranchos. Bilstein 5150 Shocks in the rear, KYB GR-2 struts up front.

2) 31x10.50 for SE 15x7 wheels, The backspacing on the XE wheels is different and only allows for a 30x9.5 tire.

1) Yes...there is a MUCH better option than the Ranchos. Bilstein 5150 Shocks in the rear, KYB GR-2 struts up front.

2) 31x10.50 for SE 15x7 wheels, The backspacing on the XE wheels is different and only allows for a 30x9.5 tire.

I've got an XE with stock wheels and ran 31x10.50x15 MTs with rubbing at full lock when going in reverse... even with a lift I can still do that though.. but I still easily ran 31s stock.

I've got an XE with stock wheels and ran 31x10.50x15 MTs with rubbing at full lock when going in reverse... even with a lift I can still do that though.. but I still easily ran 31s stock.

With the 31's did they fill out the wheel wells better? My XE looks kinda funny because the wheel/tire combo sits too far in. it looks funny from the front and back.

WTF? I just went to use Fast Reply and when I put my mouse in the box to type, it disappeared. Interesting.

Anyway... heres a picture on stock suspension with 31x10.50x15 MTs

dsc01217zj4.jpg

Make sure all yoru strut bolts are on tight.

Peridically check the ones on top of the front struts, particlarly the ones under the dust caps.

I had one back out on the trail and it caused me a LOT OF HEADACHE!!!

P8080180.jpg