Camping With City Folk

Mr. Pickles

Got some camping in this weekend, with very minimal sleep but I provided massive damage to the local Jim Beam and Bud Light supplies. We found a private spot right on the water on Hood Canal in Western WA, and right on an oyster bed where a group of 14 of us camped. We ate the oysters pretty much the entire weekend, and its ridiculous. They were literally everywhere. Tens and tens of thousands, if not millions on the beach, ready to go.

The best part was the road, a really steep grade of wet, grassy/mossy and muddy ground. It was fairly easy 2-track down until the last several hundred feet of really steep grade, and I was pretty amused to have a couple cars down there and another behind me. The first night was really nice at first, went to bed about 2:30am, but I woke up at 5am to pouring rain until 2pm or so the next day.

The first car out was an Accord in the beginning of the monsoon that finally made it up on the 4th or 5th try with a really big head start, a clean road and eventually a floored right pedal that left a chewed up and muddy track. We chilled for that day of rain but had a really nice afternoon and a clear night. Many oysters, fish, various seafood, and obscene amounts of food and beer were consumed.

The next day’s first was a 4banger Kia, which would have about made it but the Honda had already made a nasty mess. There were several runs made in forward, then I suggested reverse to take advantage of the front wheel drive weight going up hill, and it damn near worked. My buddy Kelly was driving at this point, and he can get things done (he's who finally sawed the Honda through the mud and got it done). He could have made it but the turns going up killed the run. His own rig there was a Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl on 6" and 33's, so I had the torque advantage on long hill tow/ climb for sure. We also had a Land Rover Disco V8, but the tires wouldn't cut it if it got slippery.

The end came with the Korean cars backward, strapped from the shipping mounts in the middle of the rear end (the only solid and accessible mounting points), tied on with a thick rope because of the puny factory mounting points, and then to recovery strap, with my buddy Kelly at the wheel gassing it in reverse up-hill, and me pulling in 4-low for several hundred feet.

Results: all vehicles accounted for; oyster quota fulfilled; beer consumed

Scott, you know this sounds familiar with at least somebody you know. :)

We've got a bunch of freakin weekend commandos around here. Can't complain though, I had to have my Prelude pulled out of the sand at Ocean Shore, WA. I just laugh cause I've offered to give them a ride on other trips. I bet we'll re-evaluate things over this summer. :)