2003 Stock Locker (lsd) Rear

RWC5S2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, r50 lsds suck.. and you guys should see the route i take to the mall, i always hit the mud goin 40 and jump the dunes on they way

...and THAT'S why you replaced your engine... :tongue:

Just an update. I called and raised hell about the major screw up and being sent the wrong parts. I received open diff's, exactly the same as I have now. They actually offered to make things right so I asked them to locate a front and rear 4:63 with LSD. They located a 2000 Pathfinder with 4:63 and LSD and will be sending them out. They also will eat the shipping and take back the wrong diff's that got sent. So, I end up with the better gears I originally wanted and get a LSD rear. Life is good, at least for now.

Quick! Some one tell me it won't work.

Just joking.

Thanks again for the info.

I know. Can you believe it? As for the party, I shall indeed have to consume an adult beverage upon the arrival and successful installation of the new parts. And, of course, an immediate desert trip will be mandatory to finalize the mating of better gears and the LSD to my beloved R50. What the heck, I shall have an adult beverage, or 3, in honor of all you that helped make this awe inspiring event possible.

Well, finally! You got it right! :)

When's the party?! B)

As mentioned above, an air locker replaces the diff carrier, no matter if it's LSD or open:

arb_09sidebyside.jpg

Before:

arb_11lsddiffrear.jpg

After:

arb_13lockerrear.jpg

And, for comparison:

Air Locker >>>>>>>>>>>> LSD > open diff

Auburn Gear makes an electronic locker that when not activated functions as an LSD. Pretty cool although I don't think its as strong as the ARB.

Except too bad it's not available for the H233B.

Except too bad it's not available for the H233B.

Oh, don't be silly Dean...you know you want to swap out your H233b with a 9.75" ring gear for a Ford 9" or Dana44 so you can run the Auburn locker!

I'm going to be installing a modified Frontier Desert Runner LSD in my Pathy in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. :) 420 ft-lbs of breakaway force should be enough to hold me over until I can save up for the ARB, no? LOL.

Thats because I wouldn't sell him my wd21 lsd rear axle with discs

:hide:

Oh, Oh, my turn for another dumb question! Can you add LSD like the one AC sells to an axle without?

I don't know what AC sells, but yes, you can convert an open diff to an LSD simply by swapping the open carrier with an LSD carrier:

Pic

Edited by XPLORx4

I don't know what AC sells, but yes, you can convert an open diff to an LSD simply by swapping the open carrier with an LSD carrier:

lsd30kleft.jpg

Here's the link:http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/flypage&product_id=290&category_id=ccf6e8ad62e6ee964eaf951a3e82ccdb&ps_session=f1da6fdcbdbfb882a6bc29dcd177c653

Is it the same thing?

Looks like it to me, although the AC LSD in the photo seems to be a little bit smaller, perhaps for the C200. AC often simply reuses the same photo for different sizes of the same product.

AC LSD photo:

2632623fa166fa580ae2bf75cdd90ee2.jpg

This is my old H233B LSD. Note the taper near the ring gear bolt flange that does not exist on the AC LSD.

lsd30kleft.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY PENGUIN POOP, BATMAN!

I took the Pathfinder out today for the first run after installing the LSD. Some friends and I ran the Lockwood/Jeep Miller Trail in Gorman, Calif. In all, there were 7 rigs and 10 people. All Jeeps except for me.

The Jeep Miller Trail is basically an uphill 7 mile struggle for survival. Well, that was how it felt the first time I ran it. It beat my Pathfinder like a red-headed step-child. Can you say "STRAP"? I got so tired of having to use the wretched thing I just left it attached to the front of my rig for the whole day.

The trail seemed to be a little more beat up this time but I took a deep breath and pressed on. This with constant taunts over the CB of the Jeeps getting the strap ready for the lowly Pathfinder.

Well sports fans, that LSD worked like nothing I could ever have imagined. I could feel the right and left rear tires grabbing traction and pushing me onward. It was friggen incredible.

I must admit that I did manage to stuff my rig 2 times due to pilot error by picking a bad line. Each time I merely backed out of the trouble, repositioned my rig and breezed right on through. After finishing the run I jumped out of the Pathfinder, screamed something about being "invincible" and offered to Fart in the general direction of every Jeep on the Planet. It was a thing of beauty.

But, it gets better. The folks that sold me the wrong LSD, a 4:33, made good and sent the right parts. A 4:66 LSD rear and a 4:66 front. I will be installing these later this week and can only anticipate how much better it will be with the higher gearing.

The Jeep folks were completely blown away by the nimble prowess and just plain nasty, down and dirty, capabilities of the humble Pathfinder.

Life is Good!

Woo Hoo! After much frustration and a few set-backs I finally got the 4:66 LSD rear and 4:66 front gears installed today. They were worth the wait. Much better low with the 33" tires and the 2 wheel drive seems much more peppy. Not exactly the most fun lifting all the heavy metal into place but over all not that hard a job.