Transporting/towing The Pathy?

MichiganAve

I'm moving 2300 miles,and instead of using the QX4 to tow my stuff, I was thinking of renting a uhaul and towing the QX4 behind. This gets all 4 wheels off the ground and would cost me $400 http://www.uhaul.com/guide/userguide-autotransport.pdf but I just noticed it says a limit of 3900lb. Stock is 4275, with front and rear bumpers, sliders, stereo I'm north of 4600. I'm also concerned about problems with stability with 5" of lift.

Any other ideas? Another source of trailers? Transport companies? It would be nice to not beat my truck up towing that far.

Lol, Uhaul so underrates their stuff. We used one of those tow dollys meant for a 2200 lb car and towed my pathfinder with it. I think you'll be fine with that trailer. Just make sure you secure it good. Ratchet straps at all 4 corners etc..

Pulled mine back from New Orleans to Dallas a month ago with the exact same carrier from Uhaul and it worked great for me pulling it with a Chevy Silverado.

Just my 2 cents.

I am more than likely going to be moving from NC to CA in 3 or 4 weeks...i have plans to drag the 87 on a flat bed uhaul trailer behind a ryder truck...if i move before you I will let u know how it goes but it should be fine without any issues

You should be fine. As Alex said they underate their stuff to cover their asses. First thing you will notice is on the fender they post the max speed for their HD trailers at 45 mph. As far as stability just be sure to ratchet it down tight and chain down the rear axle and maybe put a couple of extra ratchet straps on the front tow loops and you should be fine. Just make sure to set out on your trip, get to highway speed and stop and check for loosness then if nothing is loose your all set.

I am more than likely going to be moving from NC to CA in 3 or 4 weeks...i have plans to drag the 87 on a flat bed uhaul trailer behind a ryder truck...if i move before you I will let u know how it goes but it should be fine without any issues

Where in CA are you moving to?

Do you know what comes with that uhaul unit for tie downs and what I should get myself? I'd like to go through the pairs of Drings on both my front and rear bumpers in addition to the regular tire tie downs.

I went with a Penske 16' truck and their car carrier. Cost was $400 cheaper than uhaul after the 10% online discount and 12% AAA discount.

Same car carrier weight issue. Penske limits tire size, which I am way over. I think its cause that's the size of their tire tie-down. http://www.pensketruckrental.com/personal_...ar_carrier.html

hmm im going to have to register for an account at AAA i believe...what size tires are you running...i dont feel like doing the conversions for 31 10.5 r15s but i think they will be ok

can you pull a uhaul trailer behind that truck? its about a $300 savings to go up to a 22' truck for me and i bet the gas mileage is better with the diesel...maybe not the $500 they say but i would feel better diesel than the gas for that haul...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I'm moving 2300 miles,and instead of using the QX4 to tow my stuff, I was thinking of renting a uhaul and towing the QX4 behind. This gets all 4 wheels off the ground and would cost me $400 http://www.uhaul.com/guide/userguide-autotransport.pdf but I just noticed it says a limit of 3900lb. Stock is 4275, with front and rear bumpers, sliders, stereo I'm north of 4600. I'm also concerned about problems with stability with 5" of lift.

Any other ideas? Another source of trailers? Transport companies? It would be nice to not beat my truck up towing that far.

i work for u-haul (i'm a mgr) and no, we won't allow a QX4 on our AT's.. too heavy. and it's lifted, with more than likely larger tires..... our AT's don't allow anything over a 31" tire.. after that they are too wide/tall and the tire straps don't fit over them.

the truck will cost you a FORTUNE..... whereas the trailer will be HALF the cost, and no gas........

i can hook you up (i can make reservations for a pick-up/drop off ANYWHERE in the USA).. if you want, then call me @ work (209-577-1030) and ask for Rachel... i'll get you a good price. ;)

Edited by Slick

Do you know what comes with that uhaul unit for tie downs and what I should get myself? I'd like to go through the pairs of Drings on both my front and rear bumpers in addition to the regular tire tie downs.

there are 2 tire straps with ratchet tie downs up front, a chain to go over your front axel, and a chain in the rear .....

if they are a reputable u-haul, then when they do the "hook up book" it will come up RED, which means they are NOT to allow that vehicle on the trailer.......

a tow dolly is OUT for sure.

and u-haul price matches, and BEATS the competitors prices.... :tongue:

of course, we have ways of cheating. like. the vehicle has no motor or trans......

none of our trucks are diesels now. they are all new gasoline powered...... vurry nice if i don't say so myself.....

if you do call me, i can call you right back so it doesn't cost you for the call.....

Edited by Slick

technically "no" you can't tow a u-haul trailer behind a penske truck but people do it. i've seen people do it. as long as the ball size is the same and the wiring is the same it will work. diesel is cheaper than gas at the present time at least here in washington.

Well the quote for the 22' truck would cost $500 more than the 16'. And I don't really need that much more space as I only have a 1 bedroom. I was tempted as it was diesel and that should cost less gas, but not $500 worth! Plus smaller I assume is a lil easier to drive.

I will have my 30" tires on the truck for the move.

It appears that Penske doesn't require the vehicle to be there when you get the car carrier.

I am getting the Penske car carrier with their truck obviously. Here it is http://www.pensketruckrental.com/personal_...ar_carrier.html

It actually had a 155lb higher weight rating than the Uhaul. My car's stock weight is 4275 and this thing rated at 4055... I am not going to fill it with gas or any packing and I am taking off the spare tire (although the bumpers and sliders and stereo obviously add a few hundred). I checked the dimensions and the length and width are both fine per their specs. I'll get it on with their straps and drive to the nearest Menards and buy whatever straps it looks like I need to tie down through my front and rear Drings. I actually don't know anything about what straps or chains I should use- suggestions?

Thanks for the offers guys, but I am very happy with my quote after the online and AAA discounts. $1500 for truck and carrier including taxes, unlimited miles, and some packing supplies from Chicago to San Francisco.

hmmm this is getting very tricky...i can get the penske cheap but no trailer...or i can spend a lot more money on a uhaul and spend more on gas and tow with a trailer...

but slick u r saying that i can tow my 87 on a uhaul trailer with 31's correct? and you could possibly match the penske price with the AAA discount and online discount? if u could do that i would owe u big time...but no way to get a diesel? i will assume that the gas will get a lot less mileage than the diesel under a load but could be wrong...i've gotta figure something out before the 6th of June b/c thats my last day and i plan to leave the 7th or 8th...

if the @!*% breaks down on me will they come fix it or change my stuff from truck to truck? i have the worst luck ever and making the drive in 3 days and i dont need a couple days for a busted truck...

Mich when do you leave on your move? if its b4 me i'd like to know if it all works out for u...with the ratings of the trailers they should be able to withstand at least 2x its rating as a factor of safety...my 87 is pretty light i think...it has a lot of stuff missing and not really plalnning on packing anything in it...i will need a 22'er with my toolbox,air compressor,weightbench, engine hoist, engine stand, engine and prob a spare set of rims...i'd hate to run up short on space...

i also want a bench seat...b/c i dont plan on using $ for hotels...truck stops it is...and a bench will make a good enough bed...

Edited by unccpathfinder

if it breaks down we have a 1-800 number in the cab that is our s.o.s number. they are the call center that will find someone in the area closest to you to either fix it or get another truck for you. swapping loads can be done also if need be. we had a customer break down once and we had it towed in and we ended up swapping loads with them. funny thing about it was he had 2 jet skis in the back of the truck along with his other stuff.

hmmm this is getting very tricky...i can get the penske cheap but no trailer...or i can spend a lot more money on a uhaul and spend more on gas and tow with a trailer...

Why can't you get a trailer with the Penske? Their online system let me order the 16' truck with car carrier, even specify the location and time for pick-up. I almost ordered the uhaul first but they wouldn't guarantee availability first thing in the morning or let me specify a time at all online. That's actually how I got to investigating the Penske and found out it was cheaper.

ok i lied...just went back through and it let me do it...i must have accidently picked something wrong earlier

edit:i put the 95 earlier and just did it now and it says no...but the 87 is good to go...i guess that confirms that the 95 is a fat ass...(it always gets stuck and i swear its weight related and the tirecarrier)

Edited by unccpathfinder

but slick u r saying that i can tow my 87 on a uhaul trailer with 31's correct? and you could possibly match the penske price with the AAA discount and online discount? if u could do that i would owe u big time...but no way to get a diesel? i will assume that the gas will get a lot less mileage than the diesel under a load but could be wrong...i've gotta figure something out before the 6th of June b/c thats my last day and i plan to leave the 7th or 8th...

if the @!*% breaks down on me will they come fix it or change my stuff from truck to truck? i have the worst luck ever and making the drive in 3 days and i dont need a couple days for a busted truck...

Mich when do you leave on your move? if its b4 me i'd like to know if it all works out for u...with the ratings of the trailers they should be able to withstand at least 2x its rating as a factor of safety...my 87 is pretty light i think...it has a lot of stuff missing and not really plalnning on packing anything in it...i will need a 22'er with my toolbox,air compressor,weightbench, engine hoist, engine stand, engine and prob a spare set of rims...i'd hate to run up short on space...

i also want a bench seat...b/c i dont plan on using $ for hotels...truck stops it is...and a bench will make a good enough bed...

yes, you can tow your 87 with nothing larger than 31's. and we WILL match the price for truck n trailer... especially if oyu book through me ;)

the new u haul trucks are HELLA sweet. gasoline, but if not driven hard/over 65mph they get pretty damn good gas mileage for a big truck. also,t he advantage to our trucks is they are WAY lighter than penske or budgets.....

When you pick up your truck, let them know you have had terrible trouble with older u haul's, and that you were promised a newer truck by the person who made the res. if oyu get me the # to the pick-up location, i can call them and give them a heads up to give you a new truck.

any truck 14' and over have seating for 3, no bench seats, but uber comfy and you can easily use it as a bed. awesome stereos, dual cigarette/phone charger sockets.....

we have 14, 17, 24 & 26' trucks.... 14 moves 1 bed, 17 moves 2 bed, 24 & 26 move 3-4 bed house.

we have a 1-800 # also, 24/7, it's u haul mechanics that come out, wherever you are. change a flat, fix whatever....

and NO.. u haul AT's & TD's (vehicle towing equip) are NOT to go on the back of hte competitions trucks. that's immediate dismissal to a GM (me)........

ok, i think that covers it........