Sas

94 Pathy

Ok, so if I'm thinking about doing a SAS someday.....I've heard that the Nissan axles are really tough. What do you think about using a rear axle for the front? Is it possible?

I will be exploring this topic fairly soon. I plan to use the C200 out of the rear of my 87 Pathfinder as a Solid Front Axle.

The issues are:

1.)$$$$$

2.)$$$$$

3.) See 1 and 2

4.) The "pumpkin" needs to be "moved" to the drivers side. (If I remember correctly.)

Running a solid axle with the "pumpkin" in the middle leads to it smacking other stuffs

I will let you know how my adventure pans out.

Matthew

I am planning to swap a H233B into the rear of my pathfinder with 4.88 gears that i am in the process of buying. I also am working on getting some 4.88 gears for my C200 then the idea is doing as GrimGreg said "combining D44 knuckles with the H233b (in my case it will be a C200) center"

Is there another gear issue to deal with?

Matthew

Edited by McClurgM

personally, i would just go looking for a D44. its easier, cheaper to gear, and in the long run will save you lots and lots of headache getting the knuckles lined up perfectly, getting the axle tubes cut and welded PERFECTLY (otherwise ull run thru bearings like its your job)

all that just to get an axle.....when there is a D44 that is fairly strong, and especially if you have the 4cyl ur prob never gonna break and axle shaft anyways......

Just a thought. I was thinking afterwards and yes......dealing with the off-set of the pumkin. Wasn't thinking about having to off-set that towards the driver's side of the vehicle. All the welding and gearing and lining up the knuckles. I guess if you have the time, spare axle, and the equipment to fart around with it, then go for it. Unfourtunately now, I don't have a garage to fart around with things now. F'ing women! Oh well, just keep us updated on the progress. Take pic's if possible during the process.

All this axle talk is making me drool. The fornt of my '95 has developed a fair amount of play and I keep thinking that I should just go for the SAS.

Fell free to flame me for being lazy and not looking for informaiton that I am sure is readily available all over this site, but if I wanted a D44, what is the best vehicle to pull it from? There is a very nice/large JY <1 mile form my house that has an "all you can cary for $50 sale" sometime soon and I am thinking about pulling one just to have it. Not sure how much it will weigh but even if I need to take 2 or 3 trips $100-$150 wouldn't be bad at all.

I don't think you'll be able to carry a front axle unless you strip it completely down and take the parts out in a wheelbarrow. Doable, but it'll take a bit of work in the dirt.

83-89? Jeep Wagoneer(Grand Wagoneer) is one, I believe. You want the NON-VACCUUM axle, which has a vacuum line going from it up to the engine compartment. The vac-lock ones were bad. I don't know the exact details, but that's what I remember.

yep it was like 80-92 or somethign along those lines. you can convert the vac discos but not worth the time and money. the vac discos were from like 84-85. you want one thats drivers side drop.

I am planning to swap a H233B into the rear of my pathfinder with 4.88 gears that i am in the process of buying. I also am working on getting some 4.88 gears for my C200 then the idea is doing as GrimGreg said "combining D44 knuckles with the H233b (in my case it will be a C200) center"

Is there another gear issue to deal with?

Matthew

Why does everybody do this.... NOT LOW ENOUGH. If you are going to do an SAS, you are going to run 35" tires or bigger. If not, why are you doing the conversion?

I have repeated myself on this board multiple times. YOU WILL WANT 5.14 or 5.38's. I run a V6 and 36's with 5.38:1's and i was driving up the mountain the other day shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd....

do some research before wasting your money

I would ditto that comment. I was thinking 5:13's or higher. The way the rest of the drivetrain is set up, 4.88's are only a small step above stock gearing, that's good for what...32's? Heh.

I realize packie88's choice of gearing isn't due to personal choice, it's what is available at the time. Who wants to spend $500+ on just one axle's worth of gears?

I would ditto that comment. I was thinking 5:13's or higher. The way the rest of the drivetrain is set up, 4.88's are only a small step above stock gearing, that's good for what...32's? Heh.

I realize packie88's choice of gearing isn't due to personal choice, it's what is available at the time. Who wants to spend $500+ on just one axle's worth of gears?

I straightened out packie along time ago. you can get 5:14's for the H233. I realize you can't go deaper without spending big cash. But 4.88's just won't cut it

Stock 4.375:1 with 30's = 5.14:1 with 36's

yes thank you 87 pathy for that. 88pathoffroad do you know htat i have sas planned out. cause i was pretty sure i only have talked to like 4 people about it... oh well i guess its out now

summer, gathering my parts and what not now once i finish getting the parts and once im done with school then it goes into the garage, hopin to swap the alty with a bigger one, maybe put in a starter, couple other quick fixes while the front suspension is gone. i though about trying to swap in a manual at the same time but dont have the funds to be able to do at the current moment

summer, gathering my parts and what not now once i finish getting the parts and once im done with school then it goes into the garage, hopin to swap the alty with a bigger one, maybe put in a starter, couple other quick fixes while the front suspension is gone. i though about trying to swap in a manual at the same time but dont have the funds to be able to do at the current moment

Git-R-Done!

If you have any technical questions during the swap, let me know.

PS.. CRAWLER GEARS SHOULD BE NEAR THE TOP OF YOUR LIST!

I can't believe i ran an entire season without them

do some research before wasting your money

Maybe I missed the in-depth discussion about gears....could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Matthew