Question about Auto Hubs

Zilverado

Did a quick search for similar issues, and I know - I know - "Auto hubs suck..." :rolleyes:

Actually I have had an on-going "issue" with my hubs. They occasionally fail to disengage initially. A simple - disengage T-case, then reverse a short distance - does not always do the deed. This happened again this morning, so I can still hear the front drive turning along.

I have never actually taken the time to check which side (if not both) hub is staying locked up. A couple of years ago, I had one hub apart addressing a wheel bearing issue. I repacked everything, and all seemed to be well. Not sure if this is now the hub in question.

So my question is - - is this a simple issue of disassembling and servicing the hubs, or should I be looking at replacing some of the internals of the while I'm in there?

Now, before everyone starts screaming "Warn manual hubs!!!" (I know how much better they are), I'll be staying with the autos. For the type of driving we do, the autos are much handier. And to tell you the truth, they've been pretty reliable. So, thanks anyway... :D

So any toughts?

Someone mentioned once that if one side sticks, check the other side for breakage.

As for the rebuild, how greasy did you get things inside? The hubs don't like too much grease at all.

Meh...in the winter, leave them locked. Basically, you end up with the stock setup by doing that anyways, as R50's have drive flanges, so the front end is always rotating. Just unlock in the spring/summer/fall, and reap the benefits. Those being better mileage, and longevity of the CV's, Differential etc.

Auto hubs do not suck... for what they are intended to do: Be convenient for light duty, occasional use of 4WD. They will hold up to more heavy duty usages as well, but I don't think thye were ever really intended to the same type and amount of hard work that manuals will do.

Tear them down and give them a good once over, then check again. If you intend on keeping them, then replace anything that looks worn or is otherwise not within spec. A little grease won't hurt, I can only take others words for it on "to much is bad" as I have never had a problem with the Auto's on my Pathy and my Yota has manual Superwinch's.

As for manuals and winter... if you normally have mild winters but occasionally get bad weather, then make the decision to lock them (or not) each morning before leaving for work/school/whatever.

As for manuals and winter... if you normally have mild winters but occasionally get bad weather, then make the decision to lock them (or not) each morning before leaving for work/school/whatever.
Getting out of the driveway in the morning can always be fun in 2wd... I like the Auto Hubs just for simplicity, I can tell typically within 1/4 of a mile if I will want the 4wd all the way to the office, if i dont, stop back up a little and off i go....

Then if I find I need it later, just reach down and pull it into 4wd.....

To each his or her own....

Thanks for all the replies guys. Please don't mis-understand - - I do not think my auto hubs suck - - I have just read a number of posts where guys are raving about the advantages of manuals when doing serious 4-wheeling (which I totally get).

I am definitely quite satisfied with the overall performance of the 4wd system (incl. hubs) on this vehicle. I think that when I get some time this summer (before next winter for sure) I'll do a complete tear-down and reconditioning of the hubs. I'll see how everything looks in there.

Thanks again.