Parts

Precise1

Ok, time to get back into the pit...

Refresher: I'm a machinist with 15 years experience. I have a light duty mill in the garage thats basically set up and I'm shopping for a lathe. I have access to better equipment (+grinders) at work and know how to use all of them. A friend of mine owns a small shop complete with manual and CNC mill and lathe. I can make things and have resources.

I am currently employed for diamond turning; I cut optics. The only reason I mention that is to point out that I machine to millionths of an inch at work. Holding to a few thousanths in the garage isn't really an issue. Anything I distribute will be quality.

I've wanted to develope products for a long time and the Pathy world seems like a good place to start. I have 2 and 3d CAD at home and can design reasonably well. I need your help in determining what we need and what you will buy so I can do some tentative pricing. Yes, I plan to make some $ at this, but I doubt it will approach what I earn at work; I want to help and won't be making mint, but I don't work for free. :shrug:

I'm going to ask for a forum to be set up for things like this and not just for me. For example, BlackPanther skid plates are VERY good from what I have heard and this would be a place for requests/feedback.

To begin with, I am more focused on WD21 since thats what sits in the driveway, but I have no issue making parts for R50's. It is just more difficult as I can't just go measure things so I will need more of your help.

I also plan to start simple; I'm not up for designing new A arms right now. Not to say that can't happen in the future, but I need to build up, not F up. ;)

To get started though (and move threads soon) I request you reply to a thread ONLY about the part being discussed. If you have a different idea, start a new thread titled "parts" and discription (what it is). You will see my lead...

Thanks and I appreciate your input. :beer:

B

Port and polish isn't hard, just labor, but from what I have seen the MAF doesn't need it/little gain. Are we talking about the same thing ? Mass Air Flow Sensor right after the air box on a 3.0 multiport FI ?? Please explain.

The cogged pully can be done, but like I said, I need to work into this. I don't think you would like the price of a 1 off... :shrug:

B

well you could do sliders, the whole bumper market for r50s is huge right now, wd21's as well. you could do a beefed up steering. or a set of skid plates. bu i might be missing the point cause i think it looks like you do more lathe work and stuff then welding and fabbing

It would be amazing if you could make the R50 steering more beefy. You could even make strut spacers for the R50 as well. Maybe an lightweight pully set?

Edited by NismoSkyZ

:hide: from B...

Bore out the MAF and the Throttle Body.

Drilled and Slotted Rotors.

Front Diff Drop Bracket Assembly.

Rear Spring Spacer cans (Like TrailMaster)

Rear Trailing Arm Extensions

Dual rear Shock set up (Look at Pave's)

Copy Pave's JC UCA's (Summer is coming and hes gonna be driving the Stang)

Hmm...

- The coil spacers are a good one.

- A long arm rear suspension kit could be intriguing

- A TC lever extension service for guys not able to find HB lever.

- Modify Quest alternators and brackets so they are a bolt in.

- Brackets/frame to make Taurus fan a bolt in

- Wiring harness for same (maybe we ought to partner on these)

- Robust brackets to relocate bumpers for body lifts

- Adapter brackets to make custom bumpers from some other ultra common vehicle with heavy aftermarket support a bolt on

- Convenient kit/instructions to install roof racks

- Kit/instructions to install factory rear tire rack on vehicles not OE equiped.

- Sway bar disconnects (with remote actuation as option)

- Front mount high clearance receiver

- The UHMWPE front skid plates, dammit!

- Adapters to make more comfortable seats a bolt in project

- Center console armrest

- Adjustable panhard rod

- Custom tool to make '90+ PITA spark plug removal simple

- Custom airbox/snorkel (sealed) for 86.5-89 TBI'd WD's

- Kit/instructions to bolt in swap the MPFI system into TBI'd WD's

- Adapter plate & kit to make some other TC with crawler gears a bolt in

That's all for now... And yes, I have ideas on many of these that I would be willing to share or even assist with!

Martin, now your making me think.....

- Brackets/frame to make Taurus fan a bolt in

- Wiring harness for same (maybe we ought to partner on these)

:aok:

- Adapter brackets to make custom bumpers from some other ultra common vehicle with heavy aftermarket support a bolt on
There is a Nissan to Toy braket Available...cant remember where I saw it...

How about a Mounting Tray... Slides right into the stock upper mounting points and Ties into the tow hook mounts as well... Could also incorporate

Front mount high clearance receiver

Adjustable panhard rod
and/ or Drop down Bracket??

What about opening up the MAF and Thottle Body???

Guest SuperSon

Is this a hint that pavelow should drive his tang for a few weeks and send his JC susp system to precise1 so he can copy the specs :D Im all for that.

Pavelow would get more chicks on the mustang anyways.moe Charlotte PL :hide:

Seriously speaking tho,I think a lot of member would buy the JC type susp system.I for one would buy it within a reasonable price,say $400?

Instead of making aftermarket parts that are completely raw, why not piggy back on the parts that are readily available for Jeeps and Toyotas? Doublers, T-cases, Transmissions swaps and make it so those parts can me retro-fitted onto NIssans. I dunno.....just a thought.

DAMMIT, I was 1/2 way done and my browser died!!! SHEIT !! Ok, I'm starting over and breaking it down so that doesn't happen again!

I want to stay away from front end components for the time being. Too much liability and my truck has a damaged front end so fitment and testing is not realistic. (sorry casey, that includes drilling rotors)

I rent so I can't just buy a cheap pathy to disassemble. It would be nice to build one up from prototypes and TRY to break it... :D

you do more lathe work and stuff then welding and fabbing

Lathe, mill and grinder, but yes, I have never welded in my life. I plan to learn soon as some parts are not feasible from billet, but I don't have the space, tools or skill to break into the bumper market.

What sort of materials?

Plastic, phenalic (sp), copper, brass, aluminum, steel, stainless, nickel, titanuim, inconel, tungsten. Whatever, I can machine it all. Draw up what you have in mind and we'll see if others are interested. If not, a 1 off wouldn't cost a lot. That kind of work is fun! :D

It would be amazing if you could make the R50 steering more beefy. You could even make strut spacers for the R50 as well. Maybe an lightweight pully set?

Please see above about steering components and pulleys. Making strut spacers shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know anyone local with an R50 so I would need a lot of competent assistance to do that. I'm opposed to buying an existing product and copying it; it's just plain bad form and you can wind up mimicking a flawed or inferior product. No thank you.

(Continued in next post)

B

i want me some of them skid plates you made sly i have 2 pathys for you to use. but i want them for king..... :beer:

also, mabe steering upgrades for lifted pathys.... or the panhard drop brackets are a good idea, even with the JGC conversion i need one on mini.......

light bars???

bumpers??

how bout beefier TRE's? sly

suggest for parts thats not readily available in the market right now

Exactly...

Instead of making aftermarket parts that are completely raw, why not piggy back on the parts that are readily available for Jeeps and Toyotas?

A VERY good point and I will look at it further. Problem is that I don't have the parts (there is no substitution for first hand fitment) and until I finish a VW and motorcycle, the Pathy is my only vehicle so prolonged down time is not possible.

Now, for the specifics, but keep what I said above in mind. Also, I need to walk before I run so some of the more difficult (and less marketable) projects will need to wait. I'm assuming that unless otherwise stated, we are talking about WD21. I'll tentatively rate the difficulty and probability level from 1-5, 5 being unlikely.

Possible, but would probably need a custom crossmember. 4, I'll hold off a while.

Already addressed, but I will look up the trailmasters for comparison.

Should be doable, but I know nothing about what is the needed/desired effect. 4 for now due to learning curve.

I really like this idea!! I need to see what exists, but I'm sure I can make an adequate version!! 3.

Is this necessary for the dual mount shocks ? I suspect so. I prefer to stay away from front end components for a while so maybe it isn't feasible. 5.

I should have known Martin would have a field day with this!! (I love good enginerds) Martin, will you help with design and fitment ? What sort of CAD do you use ?

A long arm rear suspension kit could be intriguing

Again, I don't know where to begin. 4.

A TC lever extension service for guys not able to find HB lever.

With the ball socket, snap ring grooves, etc this would not be cheap. Isn't the real issue the angle of the shifter therefore the hardbody fits better? A simple extension would be easy. 1 with understanding.

Modify Quest alternators and brackets so they are a bolt in.

Yes, that is the next one on the table, but I plan to make the mounting brackets so that there is NO modification to the alt required. The right way to do it, and we all want a core refund, right ? 2.

Brackets/frame to make Taurus fan a bolt in

I think this is fairly straight forward, BUT my truck is useless for fitment. I'll need help. 3.

Wiring harness for same (maybe we ought to partner on these)

Thats in your court, I can connect wires, don't ask for more... :shrug: 7.

Robust brackets to relocate bumpers for body lifts

Yes, no problem other than I can't do front bumpers with my truck. 2.

Adapter brackets to make custom bumpers from some other ultra common vehicle with heavy aftermarket support a bolt on

See above comments. Not hard, other than I don't have the bumpers and a straight Pathy. :blink:

Convenient kit/instructions to install roof racks

If you mean stock racks, no problem, I basically have all the info other than where to drill the holes and what's underneath them. 2

Kit/instructions to install factory rear tire rack on vehicles not OE equiped.

Possible, but is it needed that often ? There are some arguements over whats needed but I think I could make it. 3.

Sway bar disconnects (with remote actuation as option)

Disconnect shouldn't be hard, but remote makes it challenging. 3

Front mount high clearance receiver

On a stock truck without sacrificing anything else? HARD! More likely build into a custom bumper. See 'bumpers' above. :shrug: 4.

The UHMWPE front skid plates, dammit!

Again, my truck is twisted. The one I made for JJ works admirably, BUT it fit on my truck and not his. The front bolt pattern was backwards and the angles were off up to 15 degrees. I can make mounts and a template so people can make their own. Didn't I ever do a write up on how to? C clamps, bar stock, a torch, drill, patience and a garden hose is all thats required... 3

Adapters to make more comfortable seats a bolt in project

The seats are uncomfortable? 3.

Center console armrest

Isn't that the top of it? What do you mean ? Armrest/cup holder combo with a small storage area ? 3.

Adjustable panhard rod

Tie rod style? How many people need this, please explain.3.

Custom tool to make '90+ PITA spark plug removal simple

Doesn't that exist in the tool kit? Never have changed my plugs so I have NO idea. 3.

Custom airbox/snorkel (sealed) for 86.5-89 TBI'd WD's

Yes, I've wanted to do this and I dont think it would be too hard, but I don't know any fool with a TBI nearby. 3.

Kit/instructions to bolt in swap the MPFI system into TBI'd WD's

Farther than I want to go and not much need. 5.

Adapter plate & kit to make some other TC with crawler gears a bolt in

Yes, I agree that should be looked into, but it's too much for now.5.

Of course, your ideas and welcomed, desired and expected, but please keep them on planet earth. (enginerds!! :rolleyes: ) :P

How about a Mounting Tray... Slides right into the stock upper mounting points and Ties into the tow hook mounts as well... Could also incorporate

Thats a good posiblity, but is more fab work than machining and not realistic now. 4

and/ or Drop down Bracket??

Yes, I designed one, but billet cost was prohibitive and I'm not up to the welding. Any GOOD welders interested in a few projects ?2.5.

Can be done, once we know whats desired. Any guinnea pigs ??3.

I think a lot of member would buy the JC type susp system.I for one would buy it within a reasonable price,say $400?

I'd have to see whats involved... :shrug:

Ok, that covers most everything, but still chime in and don't be discouraged. We all have different resources. Something I can't do well, someone else may excell at.

To reiterate, my truck is only good for fitment that does NOT involve the front end. Until other vehicle projects are finished (3-6 months), I can not afford down time of more than a day. I need buy a lathe and build up tooling. Lets focus on the more mundane items and work up.

Anyones windshield wipers chatter ? I bet that their plastic bushings are loose like mine. I'll be making those soon also... ;)

Thanks for the GREAT input and keep it up! If you see a project being backburnered due to lack of my skill or resources, but you have them and are interested, please speak up.

:beer:

B

Guest SuperSon

Precise this should be an easy fab :D

This is what I was planning on using on my alternator mod instead of cutting the factory adjuster bracket. Ill shave off some metal on the alternator bracket itself instead of shaving some aluminum on the alternator this way if I ever decide to get a new quest alternator I dont need to keep shaving the mounts and doesnt void warranty.

does it make sense? im thinking that when those alternator goes bad you can just straight swap it with the new one instead of having to shave off some ally on the replacement alternator. I shouldnt be that hard to shave that factory bracket to accomodate the quest alty.

altybracketmk3.th.jpg

edit: original pic was a little big

Edited by RedPath88

---------------------------

Already addressed, but I will look up the trailmasters for comparison.

Image of TM kit components: http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/images/parts/NP43.jpg

Drawing of kit components: http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/image...nissan/NP43.gif

Should be doable, but I know nothing about what is the needed/desired effect. 4 for now due to learning curve.

Basically this offers the ability of extend them to push the rear axle back to where it should be after doing a suspension lift.

I really like this idea!! I need to see what exists, but I'm sure I can make an adequate version!! 3.

Not a bad idea at all, but not sure how many people "really" need the extra dampening

Modify Quest alternators and brackets so they are a bolt in.

Yes, that is the next one on the table, but I plan to make the mounting brackets so that there is NO modification to the alt required. The right way to do it, and we all want a core refund, right ? 2.

I agree with this one 100%, which is why I created my own method of mounting my Quest alt, that did not require modifications to the alt itself.

Brackets/frame to make Taurus fan a bolt in

I think this is fairly straight forward, BUT my truck is useless for fitment. I'll need help. 3.

Could make things more straight forward, but not 100% needed. I have not done this swap on my Pathy so it is based on the experience with doing the efan swap in my yota

Robust brackets to relocate bumpers for body lifts

Yes, no problem other than I can't do front bumpers with my truck. 2.

From looking at the cheap little brackets in my BL kit, I thing this would be a welcomed alternative.

Kit/instructions to install factory rear tire rack on vehicles not OE equiped.

Possible, but is it needed that often ? There are some arguements over whats needed but I think I could make it. 3.

These are available already, AC sells the kit and includes template for drilling the holes in the body.. They get the hardware from Nissan. But if the cost could be kept lower, then maybe more people would want one?

Sway bar disconnects (with remote actuation as option)

Disconnect shouldn't be hard, but remote makes it challenging. 3

There are plenty of these available for other trucks that could be used to get a starting point

The UHMWPE front skid plates, dammit!

Again, my truck is twisted. The one I made for JJ works admirably, BUT it fit on my truck and not his. The front bolt pattern was backwards and the angles were off up to 15 degrees. I can make mounts and a template so people can make their own. Didn't I ever do a write up on how to? C clamps, bar stock, a torch, drill, patience and a garden hose is all thats required... 3

Yeah, dammit B!

You posting what you did with them. It might have been on one of the old PoHo thread, but I don't "think" you make a dedicated thread on it.

Adjustable panhard rod

Tie rod style? How many people need this, please explain.3.

Same reason as the trailing arms, except that this repositions side to side after lift.

Custom airbox/snorkel (sealed) for 86.5-89 TBI'd WD's

Yes, I've wanted to do this and I dont think it would be too hard, but I don't know any fool with a TBI nearby. 3.

To bad I was not closer

Can be done, once we know whats desired. Any guinnea pigs ??3.

Hmmm... I do have a spare VG30i TB

Some of us with body lifts could use lots of things, like....

Front bumper brackets as mentioned above

E-Brake drop brakets

Rear bumper relocation brackets for those without the extra holes

Misc brakets for relocating the P/S pump and Fuel filter

Others....

Decent, cheap, billet battery holddown

I like the billet shift knob ideas (that would just look cool)

Im sure I could come up with more, just not right now.

Slick, I'll take you up on that, no doubt. About time we met regardless! :beer:

Thanks for the links Red.

Basically this offers the ability of extend them to push the rear axle back

So this is adjustable also or jst preset lengths? Like I said, learning curve...

From looking at the cheap little brackets in my BL kit, I thing this would be a welcomed alternative.

Are they the right dimensions (other than strength)? Are they mounted? Send them to me and I'll reverse engineer them. ;)

Yeah, dammit B!

You posting what you did with them. It might have been on one of the old PoHo thread, but I don't "think" you make a dedicated thread on it.

Ok, I'll look. If I didn't, I'll write it up. Other than mounting pieces, it's not hard...

this repositions side to side after lift.

Thanks for the clarification... :rolleyes:

I do have a spare VG30i TB

Up to you, I'll open it up and port/polish it if you wish. Say wouldn't that, a stock air box and a pict/explanation/dimensions of any lines allow me to design a snorkel box? :shrug:

E-Brake drop brakets

Easy... Just need to know what/how much you want.

Basically, brackets are generally straight forward. I just need to know more than up, down, left or right. It can be worked out but the accuracy of the measurements is critical. We'll revisit this soon as it is something I can do soon. ;)

Thanks Guys (and Slicks), this is great! :beer:

B

Basically this offers the ability of extend them to push the rear axle back

So this is adjustable also or jst preset lengths? Like I said, learning curve...

It could be either, preset would likely be stronger but someone (who is already lifted) would need to come up with some proper lengths for that.

Are they the right dimensions (other than strength)? Are they mounted? Send them to me and I'll reverse engineer them. ;)
it's not so much that they are cheap i guess, just that they are simply steel plates with holes (unless I am not ID'ing the right parts in the kit) I just think that some other method would be better suited... perhaps two one-piece mounts in place of the two per side that they use now.

They are not mounted as I have not installed the lift yet. I could send them to you, or simply take measurements, either way is good for me. If you had them in hand you could get a better idea of how they mount, even with the front damage I bet. Although a mock up would work as well I suppose.. don't matter to me I am in no hurry to install the BL :aok:

this repositions side to side after lift.

Thanks for the clarification... :rolleyes:

:lol: sorry, reposition the rear axle side to side. When a suspension lift is installed the bar has to pivot down, which pulls the axle to one side. A longer bar would address that problem.

An Example:

panhard1dc7.jpg

I do have a spare VG30i TB

Up to you, I'll open it up and port/polish it if you wish. Say wouldn't that, a stock air box and a pict/explanation/dimensions of any lines allow me to design a snorkel box? :shrug:

yeah it may... and I can likely come up with the other parts for fairly cheap

Here is a pic of some WD Coil Spacers:

08-019-05-370-05.jpg

:hide: from B...

Bore out the MAF and the Throttle Body.

Drilled and Slotted Rotors.

The mustang is undergoing major surgery this summer, then it will be driven from my house to the dragstrip, and that's about it...except for the occasional summertime cruise and Fri/Sat nights ripping ricers a new a$$hole.