turned off while accelerating

flnl

My wife was driving home and just after she passed a bus she said the steering got heavy and when she pressed the brakes it didn't work... :o

She said she applied the hand brake and when she finally stopped the truck, she just turned it on again and everything worked fine!

I don't know if she was just scared about any issue with the car (and because the bus was near, and our children were in the car) or the Path really turned off... well, I also don't know if she was really accelerating at that exact moment ;)

I did 10 miles yesterday and today, and everything seems fine...

Any thoughts?

:confused:

Edited by mzxtreme

if she was rolling the steering couldn't have gotten "heavy." brake failure is possible though. hmm

Or maybe the brakes got heavy.... if the engine was shut off... :unsure:

who knows? my wife just can't tell me clearly... :rolleyes:

Edited by flnl

if she was rolling the steering couldn't have gotten "heavy." brake failure is possible though. hmm

i've been in cars with power-steering when the engine has died while driving, and the steering definitely does get stiffer, as well as the brakes (you've really got to mash them after the car dies). unless you're going 70+(give or take (or something like that)) you should really feel a change in steering.

is your wife prone to delusional psychotic episodes? if not, then your truck is probably having issues. i'd start by checking something simple like battery cables and such.

al

i've been in cars with power-steering when the engine has died while driving, and the steering definitely does get stiffer, as well as the brakes (you've really got to mash them after the car dies...

Absolutely - a lack of power-assist on the steering (when the PS pump stops turning) will most definitely make the vehicle harder to steer. Otherwise, what would be the point of this invention... :D

I agree, check for faulty electrical power connections. Years ago, my first car had intermitent electrical shut-downs, until I found it was a bad fusible link - not completely broken, but obviously bad.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by Zilverado

When my RH cam busted I was driving down the road at 60MPH, engine simply died and as soon as I turned the wheel to move to the shoulder I could tell the PS was gone.

In my old Taurus I had the PS Pump died on me at 70-80MPH in a (MUCH slower than that) corner... holy hell did it get hard to steer... Ford/Chevy strong arm had NOTHING on that beast ...just about lost it in that corner, but was able to pull through. The rest of the drive home sucked too :blink:

what kind of junk are you guys driving? i have never had a such steering issues ps or not. ok it does get a tad stiffer but not that much. that was on fords and other cars too. now, the brakes, definitely yes.

Well, a little bit can be that much for my wife :D

what kind of junk are you guys driving? i have never had a such steering issues ps or not. ok it does get a tad stiffer but not that much. that was on fords and other cars too. now, the brakes, definitely yes.

when the battery dies, ie the power goes out, you lose the 'power' in the power steering. simple as that.

next time you're driving around somewhere where it's safe to try, turn of the ignition while you're in motion and see for yourself.

Well, a little bit can be that much for my wife :D

at lower speeds in a heavy vehicle it can feel like quite a lot and might be quite scary if you're not expecting it. i haven't had the opportunity to feel it in my pathy, but i imagine it would be significant.

In the Taurus is was completely unexpected... you could normally steer that car with a single finger even while not moving.

And on the Pathy, I never said that it was hard.. but it was noticable. ;)

p_edit.gif <<-- click me

ok, that's right! P...

But that works only for the first post, the one I did when creating the topic... I didn't know that. Whenever I used the <- CLICK ME button I was editing a normal post...

:P