EL Pathfindero May have died again

Transmission went out again. might just be linkage. no reverse or neutral. all the gears are messed up, my trans doesnt have a warranty either so it looks like its time to but a new rig.

Theres a 94 or 95 for sale by my place, 5 spd. looks kinda rough, and it has the hideous maroon interior, but its only 1500 bucks

and i found a 96 r50 about 200 miles from my house thats going for 2000 right now, but its on ebay, so that price wont last long.

My brother found a 91 XJ too, thats only 1200 bucks

I have no money so thats the dilemma but i might be able to borrow some from the parents since im in college and all

WHAT DO I DO GUYS?

well, it depends on what you plan to do with the truck.....

If you plan on driving soccer players around, buy the R50 :hide:

If you plan to wheel it, but the WD21

if you plan to be a "poser", Buy the XJ :lol:

Jon

Edited by jonainmi

theyre all pretty close in price.. get the most reliable one with the least amount of problems. sooo count the XJ out :P If it was me looking, id only consider the 94/05 pathy, but thats just me. (swap your interior)

what do u mean by the gears are messed up? not matching to what the selector says or grinding and what not...I changed the shift cable on a caviler after it broke off in N and it took lots and lots of tweaking for it to match up on the shifter and tranny

Ok I'll explain the situation on my '93 a little better

NO reverse

Neutral=Forward Gear

Park works fine

2nd Seems ok

and 1st is questionable. Truck died one time putting it into that

My guess is linkage. hopefully linkage

**Interior from my '93 wont fit into a '94/95....different dash setup, and mine's an auto

well, it depends on what you plan to do with the truck.....

If you plan on driving soccer players around, buy the R50 :hide:

If you plan to wheel it, but the WD21

if you plan to be a "poser", Buy the XJ :lol:

Jon

he he he he he he

:D

well said :D:D

Just need some advice, seriously wondering whats wrong with my current WD21

but kinda leaning toward the R50 for replacement if need be. Bigger, More family friendly, and still a "somewhat Capable" wheeler

Edited by El Pathfindero

i would just fix it/get it fixed if i were you. if you buy another pathy, you never know what may break next with it. if you get yours fixed, you know that that part *should* be good for the next 100k or so. I always opt for fix than replace (for the same price or less), cause whenever you fix something, you just make your vehicle that much more reliable, vs buying another person's problem

NO reverse

Neutral=Forward Gear

Those two statements point right at linkage misalignment issue. Check it out before doing anything radical.

BTW, I have the heads off our '87 right now, and I am flat blown away. It has over 220K miles on it, and the engine shows NO significant wear! No ridges in cylinder, heck, can even see the original crosshatch pattern in cylinder walls. And I know the history of this truck from day one - it had NOT been rebuilt.

So an un-abused Pathy with 250K is nothing! Based on my experiences, it has as much life left in it as, say, an XJ with 20K miles. Maybe more. Stay away from Jeeps at this point in your life. It will suck your bank account dry and leave you stranded.

I see them as the Harleys of the 4x4 world. A fanatical cult following (aka, pathetic sheep following the herd) preaches their virtues, but in reality, they seem to be more like gilded pigs ears, with dated technology, questionable reliability, and not really all that capable for a given amount of money invested. Invest a ton and replace just about everything, and they can do incredible things. But, then again, so could a Geo Metro... From what I've seen, a $2K WD pathy can do anything a $6K jeep can do.

Edited by mws