NY to Florida to NY to Arizona in the 95 Pathy

John Boy

So I headed towards south Florida today and pulled off in NC for some shut eye. I never really drove this far with the 95 and had my doubts as she has some scary rust and over 105,000 on it. She did pretty well considering it was 12 degrees when I left, stupid me went through the car wash before leaving and everything froze right up, I had icicles hanging from the side view mirrors. LOL.

I wish the 95 was a little more aerodynamic as those winds really push her around, another thing is the hood although locked tight vibrates at high speeds, like it could of used extra latches in the corners. I'm also noticing a small pull to the left every so often, could be the wind though.

Well wish me luck, gotta another long day of driving tomorrow. :D

Edited by John Boy

pump up the tires to about 30 or so, put at least 1 tank of premium in it and run it all the way through, that should burn out most gunk accumulated in the engine from short trips.. I got the best milage between 55-60ish mph. if you have a auto, just try to keep it in OD on low rpms on the flat sections. Gas before you get to the hills and coast up them and give her some gas on the way down (watch out for the cops though) That's how I pulled 620 km out of one tank between kentucky and tennessee on the i-75. My 95 made it from kitchener to bradenton in 24 hours on the button with 2 drivers ;) By the looks of the weather, it should be smooth sailing tomorrow. Have fun! :aok:

I wish the 95 was a little more aerodynamic as those winds really push her around, another thing is the hood although locked tight vibrates at high speeds, like it could of used extra latches in the corners. I'm also noticing a small pull to the left every so often, could be the wind though.

My hood used to vibrate because of wind pressure. I fixed it by turning the rubber hood stops. Now it's tight.

Thanks everyone..What a day..am exhausted.....I stopped in Rocky Point NC yesterday. I just stopped in Palm Beach Florida today I think it's about 30 miles north of Daytona Beach. What a ride it's been, if I had to do it again I would rent a car. The Pathy is a great vehicle but at 70 MPH for hours at a time well it just wasn't designed for that kind of highway travel.

What's nice is I have a CB, satellite radio, radar detector and a GPS navigation unit. The CB became the most useful device out of all of them, there was a car fire at the Georgia border and they had 95 south shut down.

LOL If anybody in Florida wants to buy the Pathy all reasonable offers will be considered. I think I would like to fly back home. LOL

Seriously thanks for the encouragement.......What do you mean you turned the rubber stops...? I need to take a look at that..

Front corners of the hood. There's stops there, that screw into the body. Turn them counterclockwise to raise them a bit, which will put a little more pressure on the latch, and keep your hood tighter. :aok:

Front corners of the hood. There's stops there, that screw into the body. Turn them counterclockwise to raise them a bit, which will put a little more pressure on the latch, and keep your hood tighter. :aok:

Gotcha ;) I'll take a look at that before heading out tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep now.....

pump up the tires to about 30 or so, put at least 1 tank of premium in it and run it all the way through, that should burn out most gunk accumulated in the engine from short trips..

just so you know, running premium fuel will not help burn out engine gunk, if anything, it will leave carbon deposits from the unburnt fuel. higher octane fuel is designed to not burn well for high compression/forced inducted engines to prevent pre-ignition..

87 is best for our pathys (unless your turbo'd or running high compression crankshaft or something)

good luck on your trip back, dont sell it!! but yeah interstate driving is not the best for mine, i usually have it floored just to keep up with traffic on the uphills at 80 mph!

Well I finally made it to my destination North Fort Myers, Florida. I big thanks for the rubber stop tip that helped alot. I tell you cruise control works really good when it comes to those dreaded hills, somehow it maintains the speed.

Well time for some golf and relaxation.........Thanks!

Although the VG30e was designed to run on 87 octane, running higher octane won't hurt. It does burn cleaner, but won't increase the overall performance of a properly tuned engine. To benefit from higher octane, you will need to add timing of bump up the compression. Running a couple tanks of premium will clean out mild deposits, but won't do anything for heavy carbon deposits. Premium fuel certainly won't add to the deposits, but too low octane or crappy gas will.

My 97 maxima (VQ30DE) requires minimum 91 octane, I use 94 almost exclusively and get better performance and gas mileage because of it. I switched back to 91 when gas prices were high, and the mileage drop was noticeable. With 94, my throttle body never needs cleaning. I've taken it off acouple of times to clean it inside and out, and there are virtually no carbon deposits to speak of. I only inspect it now. The same can't be said for other maxima owners that want to save a couple bucks at the pumps and use 91 or lower.

running higher than recommended octane will in no way clean out deposits.. the definition of octane rating is the 'to resist detonation or pre-ignition (knock).' Which usually means less ability of the fuel to burn completely. Which means, a lot of unburnt fuel will be left after the combustion cycle, leaving carbon deposits, etc. im surprised you noticed better fuel economy with 94 oct vs recommended. sure, higher octane has more energy content, but is usually canceled out by its resistance to combustion

here is a good article that explains it:

http://www.answers.com/topic/octane-rating-1

sorry bout the thread hijack :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well I think I lost my mind, now on Monday am going to drive the Pathy from Florida to Arizona. 2300 miles......Wish me luck..... :)

It's a Pathy, it'll be fine....as long as you are up to date on your timing belt change... :unsure:

Well due to my job I had to go back to NY instead of Arizona. I was really impressed with the pathy though, the first 11 hours I was going 85 to 90 mph, it didn't hiccup once. The other 11 hours I backed her down to 75-80 mph. By the time I hit NJ I was driving in a dam ice storm.

I must say the pathy is a solid vehicle and has gained my confidence.

• 2 weeks later...