Welp, Centerlinks are busted :-(

BLouisGod

damn -- thats a shame about Phil... they have a good product...

There's another guy making pretty much the same product as L&P... he's not on this board much, I see him on the AC board more often... not sure if he's still doing them, but might be worth a shot... search for the member 'hoohaa'

You might wait to see if Phil from L&P is actually still making them, he seems to have disappeared lately and people aren't getting their paid-for CL's. Sad but true.

BTW, I bought a stock CL a while back and it cost me $150 or so.

Who? I sure wish they'd contact ME! We were just a bit behind from the holidays, but are caught up now and doing fine.! Jeeze.....rumors....

Oh, and, I dissapeared? Seems it was this 'board that dissapeared. And, yes, I read around, and know the reason why. Unlike some folks starting rumors.

Well good. Seems the tales of your demise were greatly exaggerated.

BlouisGod, I'd definately pony up the dough and get the L&P rather than another weak OEM centerlink. They're only $100 more and definately worth it cause you'll prolly never have to buy another one again. I wasted my new stock one the first time I went off road and then got the L&P. Its been through a lot and still hasn't had any problems.

You don't need an idler arm if yours is okay. You just drill your stock one out, and your stock pitman arm to accept the large bolts that go through them, and the CL from L&P.

It's a far better setup than stock, and as JJ said, well worth the extra $100. :aok:

My local shop (while doing an inspection) had told me that my centerlink was bad and needed replaced. I asked him how a big-ass metal bar can be bad (unless it was bent) and he just stammered until he finally said that there was too much play in the suspension and it could be ball-joints, t-rods, etc. What an idiot. I crawled under, wiped down the centerlink with a greasy rag (made it nice and shiney) then took it back. it passed. sheesh!

My local shop (while doing an inspection) had told me that my centerlink was bad and needed replaced. I asked him how a big-ass metal bar can be bad (unless it was bent) and he just stammered until he finally said that there was too much play in the suspension and it could be ball-joints, t-rods, etc. What an idiot. I crawled under, wiped down the centerlink with a greasy rag (made it nice and shiney) then took it back. it passed. sheesh!

The bar is fine, its the bushings in the ends of it that are weak...this has been said about eleventybillion times..but here goes one more.

the idler arm and the pitman arm are weak, they flex, causing stress on the centerlink bushings. The centerlink bushings wear out, allowing the whole thing to flex backwards & up...thus bending the tie rod ends. The tie rod ends bend, your tires point at eachother and voila, you're fubared.

my point dealt more with the 'qualified mechanic' rather than the actual suspension. ;)

I checked the play in all the joints and found that my drivers side lower ball joint was out of spec with respect to the amount of play in it. Actually, it kind-of rattled around rather than trying to point upright. That was MUCH cheaper than replacing the C-link which was 'just a guess' from the mechanic though they'd be more than willing to replace it for me for a price.

Edited by k9sar

Figured as much, Scott. I know you realize how the CL's wear out on these things.

Nice work though....I'll remember to try that trick in the future. :D

I found the L&P kit easy to install and it was my first time doing anything like that. comes with good instructions. The hardest part was drilling out the pitman arm.(and reading my tape measure!) But the truck drives great now and it could easily be tackled in a weekend.