4WD hard to engage, what is it?

2path2

Hi to all the path enthusiasts. I have a '93 4WD pathfinder, and I have another question now. It is very hard to switch the 4WD system on my pathy, i have heard that with other pathys. Anyone have any thoughts on what it is and what I have to do? All suggestions are welcome. ;)

Mines been sitting for like over a year so that might have something to do with it. I still move it around every once and a while but yeah maybe i should do something about the fluid although it was changed right before the truck was taken off the road.

I think it is a pretty common tendency for most any "true" gear style transfer case. They use extremely simple (and tough) gears with no synchros or anything like that to ease engagement. If the gears are precise and tight, they can be a little persnickety to slide in and out of mesh. Some are smoother, some are notchier.

Not a perceived problem for those of us who have had driven trucks or older manuals from the days before synchros.

A good synthetic lube will help, as will more frequent use. They will wear in and get easier to use.

• 1 year later...