97 Stereo Install

Hey guys,

Putting a new head unit/speakers into my 97XE and i got a couple questions.

1.) Where is the factory amp(non-bose system)?

2.) How do i bypass/remove the amp?

3.) Am I gonna need to do a full rewire(all-new wires from the head unit to the individual speakers) or can i just do it form the pre-existing wiring and harnesses?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

the factory amp is in the rear drivers side cargo area. open your tailgate and you'll see some vent holes in the plastic side. i didnt bother to bypass it, i have a pioneer premier headunit with some components up front. it just goes through the amp and makes it a little louder. one of these days ill rewire everything and get new speakers and new amps .

1) Exactly where nissandoms said it was. You need to remove a few panels to get to it.

2) You need to get a amp bypass harness. IMO just leave it.

2b)To remove the amp, loosen the 6 screws in the plastic piece that holds The carpet down.

nispthfndractramp030702ei1.jpg

Then pull the carpet up and pull off the panel with the vents on it.

nispthfndractramp030702xr2.jpg

nispthfndractramp030702ik4.jpg

Next, just unscrew the amp from the body from the three screws. Lift it up to release it from the hook. Make sure you unscrew it from the bracket as well. Take the Amp out ONLY, the fuses/relays there are needed.

nispthfndractramp030702wl1.jpg

3) Unless you are getting a more powerful amp, you can just use the stock wires.

If you have anymore questions about audio, PM me.

That pathy belongs to a friend of mine. My carpet has had a weathertech liner since new :). I went with the high end 3-way component sony's. I will never go sony speakers again to say the least. Now I have Alpine Type-S 2-way components. I have 2 1" alpine tweeters as well. The speakers have an RMS of 75 watts and they peak at 250. I mated them up with a Kenwood 150x2 amp. In addition to all that I have a 12" Kicker L7 sub in the back with I/O gauge wire powering it. Its hooked up to a Kenwood 500w RMS amp with 850w peak. All of that goes through a 1 farad cap (never do a sub without one). Finally, everything goes to my head unit. I love my head unit. It has a very simple layout but it provides me with everything I could ever need. It has an aux input (for my ipod), mp3 readout, 3 eq settings, independent sub control and output. Some other goodies include my video ipod and a bluetooth tomtom navigation system.

• 2 months later...

I have a 97 Pathy as well I was wondering if anyone has an idea on where to mount 2 after market amps. I have them screwed to the back of the rear seats but I want to regain the use of my folding seats. Any ideas?

When I did my stereo setup, I purposefully chose amps that would fit in the cubby underneath the rear carpet. Everyone warned me about overheating, but I'm running 2 500W amps under there and have never had a problem, even in the hot summers in the Southwest. As long as your amps have good heat dissipation, that's an ideal spot for them.

Could you fit one amp in there, and possibly fit another inside of one of the side panels? I know the one on the passengers side has a bunch of room behind it.

i WILL CHECK IT OUT. I did the install a few years ago and everything has been behind the rear seat. I have an xplod amp and a kenwood as well as a 1000watt ac converter mounted on the back of the seat I want to fnd a place to hide these things.

I'm not sure what kind of amp you have, but I managed to squeeze an Alpine MRP-F250 4-channel amp in thespace that previously housed the factory amp, behind the left rear cargo panel. I created my own metal adapter bracket to attach the new amp to the factory amp brackets.

I had to be very selective about the dimensions of the amp I chose in order to fit it there.

There's also an empty space above the right rear fender that might be usable to hide your inverter. You would just have to find some way of securing it there.

Edited by XPLORx4

I have a 97 Pathy as well I was wondering if anyone has an idea on where to mount 2 after market amps. I have them screwed to the back of the rear seats but I want to regain the use of my folding seats. Any ideas?

I have 2 amps on the back of the seat, and I can still fold them and fully use my cargo area!

:shrug:

P9020191.jpg

folded partially

P9020192.jpg

DHD 1000 watt 4 channel powering my JBL components, Alpine 350 watt monoblock for the JL 10W3.

Edited by FUELER

With the amps installed there, you can't really fully use the cargo area with the seats folded down. I could never install anything like that on the seatbacks on my Pathy. I frequently use the cargo area with the seats down. It would be sorta inconvenient to try to move furniture or haul plants and bags of garden soil from Home Depot. But you probably don't ever plan to use your truck that way, so it must be a non-issue.

Edited by XPLORx4

I just put a blanket over the amps. I have no problems loading the truck to the ceiling in anticipation for Baja. I keep the light stuff on the amps, like clothing and sleeping bags. It really isn't a problem, but I do agree that I would rather have them hidden away.

No, I don't load my R50 with bags of rocks and soil back there, you crazy?? I deal strictly with big bags of that "doja" and THATS IT.

:D

Well I decided to get rid of my Kenwood 2 Channel 300 watt Amp that was powering the subwoofers and kept my Sony XPLOD xm-4060gtx 600watt max amp because it fit perfectly in the cubby hole under the carpet. The amps says that it can be used as a 3 channel to power a sub. I know it wont sound as good but im in might late 30s and have to kids so I guess I really dont need to be bumpin as much as I used to. Anyone have any idea on where to hide a sub? I have 2 10" subs but I could probably use one. I was thinking on the passanger side rear compartment. The one with the little door. Does anyone have any other ideas?

XPLORx4 the space for the converter you were talking about, Thats uner the passanger side wheel well? Are you saying it can be hiden inside the cargo area or outside?

Oh does anyone have experience with these amps? Im wondering if I can still run 4 speakers and a subwoofer using 4 channels or should I just use 2 channels for the speakers and the other 2 channels bridged for the sub.

Sorry for all the questions just want to get this doen right.

I saw a pretty cool setup awhile back, I think it was on XOC, where his sub was wired in with a plug type thing drilled through one of the side panels, so if he needed to remove it, he would just unplug it and go. I thought it was pretty cool. Just another suggestion.

XPLORx4 the space for the converter you were talking about, Thats uner the passanger side wheel well? Are you saying it can be hiden inside the cargo area or outside?

If you remove the plastic panel covering the right side of the cargo area, you will find a rather spacious cavity located beneath the rear side window and the wheel well. It may be large enough to hide your inverter in.

Before you can remove the side panel, you need to unclip the little side storage compartment bin, which is held down by a plastic tab (which you can feel on the bottom of the compartment). The pin will pop out if you press DOWN on the center of it, and then the storage bin should lift right up.

You should be able to run all your speakers and sub off that 1 amp. Bridge a pair of channels for the sub and wire the other speakers off the other set of channels. Depending on what speakers you are using you would want to wire in parallel or series. Your current draw shouldn't be too much for your speakers to overload the amp but then again it is a Sony.

I assume it is this guy: Sony Amp

Looks like it is 2ohm stable so what is the impedence of all your speakers?