Jim Wolf Pop Charger

wheel366

So, my mechanic thinks he has found a possible problem with the misfire I have. They looked at my MAF and it was clogged completely. So, they cleaned it and my truck ran better but only for a short period of time. Then they blew some propane into the Air filter and the truck ran better with the added fuel. The next step was putting some clean rags over the air filter to cut down on the amount of air and it ran fine again. It's running lean.

We are going to put my stock box back in and see how it runs.

My questions: Has anybody had a similar problem or heard of something like this? I would hate to have to take the pop charger off and have less power.

The Pop/KN filters do allow more air as well as impurities through... I know that 48 hours after I clean and re-oil my JWT, I also clean the MAF... Just a habbit I have gotten into to prevent any additional fouling of the MAF...

Me either, but for some reason it's not getting enough fuel for the amount of air being provided. I have not recently oiled or cleaned my filter so I can't say excessive oil is the cause.

Then they blew some propane into the Air filter and the truck ran better with the added fuel. The next step was putting some clean rags over the air filter to cut down on the amount of air and it ran fine again. It's running lean.

How does holding a rag over the intake supposed to its running lean?? The MAF will compensate your fuel no matter what the air flow. There is no way a high-flow filter will affect your air/fuel ratio, unless your engine is pulling so much air your injectors are maxing out, which i really doubt.

It could be a faulty maf sensor, it would cause rich or lean problems, but its definitely not your filter

Umm, not being a mechanic I have no idea. I just know that I have this problem, what he did solved it now we need a permanent solution. I wish I knew what to do, but I don't.

When was the last time you cleaned and oiled the filter? Since you said your MAF was clogged, just like Casey said, it could be the gunk from the dirty filter.

I couldn't believe how dirty my filter was until I cleaned and oiled it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you should try cleaning it.

I've only had the filter on for 10k miles. So, I've never cleaned and oiled it.

Does anybody know of an aftermarket MAF for a 95? Maybe something along the lines of higher performance? I wasn't able to find one other than stock.

It's a new engine. Only been in for almost a year. So no, I've never done a compression test. It's weird. It's a misfire, but it's not. It does not affect power or mileage, but it's noticable.

Strange. I wish I could explain it better.

Try to find someone with a MAF you can borrow. swap it out and see if the problem goes away. If it is running lean, it could also be a vacuum leak - check your vacuum hoses for cracks, etc.

Ive also heard of a trick where you spray carb cleaner near suspect vacuum lines with the engine running, and if the idle goes up or sounds different, you have a leak in that area.

I'm gonna have to have someone else look at it. I don't want to take it back to this shop. They took 2 months to installed my steering kit, my oil filter relocation kit and troubleshoot this problem. I have the old air box on now and it still misfires like hell when it's cold but the misfires are probably 75% less when warmed up. A new MAF is about 300, so I have to be positive that's the problem. I think they checked all the lines, but who knows. I'm loosing faith in all these shops.

On a happier note, I'll have pics posted soon of my filter relo kit. It's pretty clever. They relocated the fuse box, ran the hoses away from the headers and covered in some high temp plastic crap. The filters are massive. You'll see! I think I am up to around 6 quarts of oil now.

I was thinking...the MAF sensor tends to do stuff like that when it's buggered up. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I've just had two different cars do that kind of thing cos the MAF wasn't working right somehow.

Have you checked the MAF sensor wiring and plug? That's a common problem, the plug somehow hits the underside of the hood and screws up the MAF readings. Or it's just easily bumped into, I dunno.

I was thinking...the MAF sensor tends to do stuff like that when it's buggered up. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I've just had two different cars do that kind of thing cos the MAF wasn't working right somehow.

Have you checked the MAF sensor wiring and plug? That's a common problem, the plug somehow hits the underside of the hood and screws up the MAF readings. Or it's just easily bumped into, I dunno.

Ditto that, I've heard several people with issues with the wiring on the MAF sensor. Check it out, clean it, etc. Check the obvious stuff that's been suggested cause its free. That is, unless you really like your mechanic enough to pay them to do it instead.

I'll have to check the wiring. He already cleaned the whole thing. It was filled with dirt and lint, according to him. I need to decide how much this problem worth. The engine only has 10k miles on it but the truck and all the stuf that was transfered from the old engine has 195k miles on it.

I was thinking about calling Jim Wolf I'm sure they have a much better idea than the mechanic does since they designed the POP Charger.

Check fuel pressure, I have seen aftermarket fuel filters partially block up and reduce pressure. Also, the secondary ground tied into the MAF is when you have a rich condition due to insufficient ground at the MAF connector.