How silly would it be.....

Harbinger

To sell my car and fix up the pathy?

I can't afford both, so one has to go. I'm thinking I'd rather not lose my 4x4 even at the cost of extra fuel. But no car payment and reduced insurance might help make up for that.

But would it be foolish to put a bunch of money into this pathy with almost 275K on it?

At the very least it needs:

A Battery

Shocks

Steering

All new bushings

And thats assuming the engine or AT doesn't die on me if it becomes my daily take-anywhere-no-matter-what-distance vehicle.

Good idea or bad?

Edited by Harbinger

It depends. Will the car require extensive maintenance to keep you going down the road, or is it in poor shape? The costs to rebuild a trans are high, plus if it does go on you you'll have quite a bit of downtime with NO vehicle whatsoever...

Whatever makes you happy and works. I like all my cars and don't want to get rid of any of them, but practicality rules and there comes a time when having two cars just doesn't make sense, monetarily speaking.

At the very least it needs:

A Battery

Shocks

Steering

All new bushings

I'd agree with 88, a 2nd vehicle suddenly gains extreme value when you're half way through a project and need to run to the shop, or its late Sunday night, you're not done and you need to get to work in the morning. You're really not looking at a ton of money in general from your list, depending on what you want to do. The engine and tranny are obviously wild cards that nobody can judge or guess on really, it just depends on your knowledge and experience with the ones you have. One person's rubbish might go on for 150k miles, while another guy's "gem" might go for 500 miles. Those are the dice ya gotta roll. With that in mind:

Battery: $60 or so for a good reliable brand, up to over $100-200 for an Optima

Shocks: depends, you could get decent stock replacements for $125 for 4, or go to 4 Ranchos or ProComps for under $200

Steering: this is another wild card- is there something specific wrong to be replaced $, such as tie rod ends, ball joints, bent or worn parts, or are you wanting to upgrade to something like L&P steering kits $$$

"All new bushings": which ones? (UCA, swaybar, etc) Most can be found in poly from $15-35 per kit

If those are your only worries, and your not looking to go to the moon and not everything is toast, you could budget say $500 +/- and probably be @!*%ting in tall cotton. What's your other vehicle?

Edited by Mr. Pickles

A sweetass Golf (or is it a GTI? I can't remember). There's a 2dr being parted out in Meridian Cory, if you need some parts. It was hit in the side, but not hard. Blue interior too. I almost think, if you're thinking about selling both rigs for one, why not do that but buy another Pathy? I don't know what your Golf is worth, but maybe you could get rid of it and spring for a Pathy that costs half as much as you got for the Golf? I don't know what all your Pathy needs, but that might be a good alternative. There's a nice 2dr over here in the impound lot; if you're interested I could probably find out about it for ya...

It depends. Will the car require extensive maintenance to keep you going down the road, or is it in poor shape? The costs to rebuild a trans are high, plus if it does go on you you'll have quite a bit of downtime with NO vehicle whatsoever...

Whatever makes you happy and works. I like all my cars and don't want to get rid of any of them, but practicality rules and there comes a time when having two cars just doesn't make sense, monetarily speaking.

lol. don't lie.. you got more then 2 cars just like me. :D

Harbinger, what's the other vehicle?

My car is a VW 99.5 GTI -- gets good milege (32+), handles well, and has heated seats :) Only has about 80k on it, and just replaced the T-Stat, H20 pump, T-Belt and brakes/rotors a couple thousand miles ago.

But maintenance on a VW is not cheap, and I still owe about 6K on it at about $180/mo. Add full ins to that and it probably costs me about $250/mo. Its worth about 8k, but take off some damages (break in, ran off the road) and my profit margin drops a bit.

Downtime wouldn't be terrible I don't think...between my g/f's jetta and living less than a mile from work helps there lol.

I don't want to sell either lol but as it is I can't afford to "love" them both, can hardly afford to mod one. And I was thinking if I didn't have the monthly payments it might offset increased fuel costs.

The g/f's going to be visiting her mom for a few weeks, so I'll pull the pathy out of the garage and give it a better look over. To be reliable it will need work, lol when I say bushings I mean the whole suspension needs to be gone over, 200K of those miles were search and rescue miles lol.

Edited by Harbinger

or, another solution....buy a cheap honda or toyota...

my situation was, paying rent, pathy payment, (paid 6k for it, paid off at the end of next july) and then with (at that time) rising gas prices. so i went into the market for a cheap honda that maybe wasnt the nice "reliable" not-gonna-break-down-on-me-but could provide cheap transportation. just so happens i found a repo-ed 91 accord for 500 bucks, pretty beat up cosmetically, rusted hood, numeroud dents and rust. interior was immaculate (after some extensive cleaning by me, but otherwise really is nice). on the clock it had 240,000 on it, looks like the tbelt was changed not to long ago...only thing wrong with it was it was leaking oil..that turned out to be a nice sized hole in the oil pan where the previous owner looks like he or she liked to take this thing offroad....fixed that, clutch went out, fixed that....so i only have 800 in the vehicle itself. i named that my primary vehicle and stated the finder would not be a daily. insurance went down 500 bucks right off the bat...the damned thing paid for itself....

so sorry for the long story, but i hope i got my point across, that maybe you should just get a beater car, to drive around, get 28 mpg, and dont really care about it, while u have that cheap transportation, fix up the pathfinder....

-sam

• 5 weeks later...

All good suggestions guys -- thanks.

I'm going to talk to my dad about selling the VW -- since he is the co-signer.

If anything I'll try and sell the VW, buy a early 90's wd21, swap the parts from my 87 over to the new one (tires/light bar etc) and then sell the 87. I want to get a manual pathy anyway.

Then if I end up needing something more economical down the line I'll get a MKII Golf TDI or something similar. 40+ mpg doesn't sound to bad for getting around town.

On the other hand, I wish to hell the 2.7TD was available in the states.

Edited by Harbinger

get a cheap car to drive around.

I just got a cheap car today actually. 91 sunbird that needs a head gasket and its good to go. was my buddies, we started pulling the head off. got it all apart. didnt have time to work on it for 2 weeks. in those 2 weeks he bought a kickass nissan pulsar(with a parts car that has the DOHC engine that we are currently working on getting out and rebuilding). anyways, His mom gets pissed off today and says he has to get rid of one car(2 pulsars, a 90 B2 on 35's, the sunbird, and a POS caprice. and his brother have just as many toys. all on a city lot!) so he gives me the sunbird. Im going to swap headgaskets and sell it to fund the pathy.

long story short, if you have to have a reliable car. sell the dub, buy a cheap car to drive around. that way if the pathy or the chit box break down, you still have another car for the day or two that you have to get the other fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pathfinder is more practical. The VW would get better gas. I still have my 87 with 250k miles and it will go twice that easy. It's been low oil and low everything. Things bulletproof. I am not likely to speed or get tickets in it either. Oh, and it's a 4x4, which rocks.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to be getting rid of the pathy to start. Just have some little things to do on it and then I'll be putting it up for sale :(

I'm going to keep the car untill its paid off. I have a KILLER interest rate on it, and with my financial history I'm not likely to see that again for a while.

So synopsis, sell the pathy, pocket $, pay off the car, sell the car, then buy new(er) pathy :aok:

I'd just do all of that now, but I still owe about 5K on the car, and I'm hoping to buy the next truck outright, and not deal with any loans.

Edited by Harbinger

• 3 weeks later...